Can the USB-C port on a Pixel 6 Pro be replaced?

Joe Coletta

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
My Pixel 6 Pro will no longer charge when connected to any USB-C cable I have tried. The only way I can charge the phone is wirelessly.

I am assuming this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. Does anyone think this might be a software problem?

I have called five local phone repair places and none of them will replace the USB-C port on a Pixel 6 Pro.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the port replaced?

Thank you very much.

gfr92y

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
First thing to do is carefully check to make sure you don't have any lint or debris in your port. Carefully use a toothpick to clean your port.

If that doesn't work then uBreakiFix/Assurian should be able to replace the port. I had to have my charging port replaced on my S22 because apparently moisture/humidity corroded the charging port connection (when though my phone never got wet). It cost about $90 when I had mine fixed a few months ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with tismydroid. In addition to using a toothpick, you can also use a can of compressed air to blow out the port, and a dry toothbrush to scrub it. You could also dip the toothbrush in rubbing alcohol to try to clean the USB pin, in case there's any residue on it.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
A little camera cleaning kit works well.
Got mine at a dollar store . It was only a few bucks.
58a815c99129193647b1b041764b4c89.jpg

Joe Coletta

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
First thing to do is carefully check to make sure you don't have any lint or debris in your port. Carefully use a toothpick to clean your port.

A toothpick sounds scary.

Maybe I'll try some canned air first and if that doesn't work then I'll try a toothpick.

Thanks!

If that doesn't work then uBreakiFix/Assurian should be able to replace the port. I had to have my charging port replaced on my S22 because apparently moisture/humidity corroded the charging port connection (when though my phone never got wet). It cost about $90 when I had mine fixed a few months ago.

Unlike the Samsung S22, the Pixel 6 Pro USB-C port is soldered to the motherboard and it is my understanding that a rather expensive piece of equipment is needed to remove and replace the port.

You're absolutely right. If anyone can repair this Assurian, should know who it is.

I wonder if this repair might fall under my extended warranty coverage.

Thanks, again.

gfr92y

Reactions: J Dubbs

Joe Coletta

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
I agree with tismydroid. In addition to using a toothpick, you can also use a can of compressed air to blow out the port, and a dry toothbrush to scrub it. You could also dip the toothbrush in rubbing alcohol to try to clean the USB pin, in case there's any residue on it.

Thanks!

gfr92y

Reactions: B. Diddy

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A toothpick sounds scary.

Maybe I'll try some canned air first and if that doesn't work then I'll try a toothpick.

Thanks!

Unlike the Samsung S22, the Pixel 6 Pro USB-C port is soldered to the motherboard and it is my understanding that a rather expensive piece of equipment is needed to remove and replace the port.

You're absolutely right. If anyone can repair this Assurian, should know who it is.

I wonder if this repair might fall under my extended warranty coverage.

Thanks, again.

gfr92y
Nah, you shouldn't need any expensive equipment, just a moderate amount of skill with a soldering iron. Unless Google did something wacky on the mainboard, which I don't think they did.

Joe Coletta

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Nah, you shouldn't need any expensive equipment, just a moderate amount of skill with a soldering iron. Unless Google did something wacky on the mainboard, which I don't think they did.

I know it's soldered, you don't need any "expensive equipment" to desolder a port and solder on a new one. There is no reason a repair centre worth their salt couldn't do it.

FuzzyLumpkin,

I am sorry. I misread your post in which you are clearly discussing the skill level needed to remove and replace the soldered port.

Thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding and reestablishing a reason for celebrating.

Thanks, again.

gfr92y

Reactions: B. Diddy

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping we would be celebrating that cleaning out the port worked. I'll keep me fingers crossed that that still might work. But if not, call Assurian ... they will be able to tell you how much it costs to fix.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
FuzzyLumpkin,

I am sorry. I misread your post in which you are clearly discussing the skill level needed to remove and replace the soldered port.

Thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding and reestablishing a reason for celebrating.

Thanks, again.

gfr92y
Yeah, I'm just saying don't let them fob you off.

Don't get me wrong, it is a repair that requires skilled labour. Vut it's basic bread and butter stuff for an actual repair technician, and should 100% be covered by your extended warranty.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've tried cleaning my port but still doesn't charge when plugged in. I really dug in there with a tool too and not much came out. I'll probably get a Pixel 8 in a few months so I'm not too concerned. Still kind of annoying though.