Can someone explain exactly how the Best Buy pre-order works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1atom12

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
My local store seems to be misinformed. I have a paid off Verizon Pixel 3. According to everything I have read, this should be worth $550 trade in. I want to pre-order a Verizon prism white 128gb S10+ and pay for it in full the day I pick it up. I do not want to use the Verizon payment plan. The local BB salesperson I spoke with on the phone is stating that I must purchase the new phone using the payment plan with Verizon and I must return my Pixel 3 to Verizon. Everything I am reading here looks like if I pre-order now through Best Buy, I can take my Pixel 3 into store on release day, trade my phone in at Best Buy, receive a gift card for $550 and apply it to the cost of the new S10+. Can I then pay the balance in full or do I have to use the Verizon payment plan. Again, I don't want payments. I want to pay the $450 (plus tax, fees) on the day I pick up the phone.

Thanks!

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I work there and planned on doing the same. Best Buy is not allowing preorders on carrier branded devices without installment billing. Only way to get around it and pay in full is to either use the 550 as a down payment on the installments and then pay the remaining balance the next day or preorder the unlocked.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the unlocked I have to go back in when the phone comes in turn in my 9 plus unlocked and I get 550 off. You have to do it in store only.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
My local store seems to be misinformed. I have a paid off Verizon Pixel 3. According to everything I have read, this should be worth $550 trade in. I want to pre-order a Verizon prism white 128gb S10+ and pay for it in full the day I pick it up. I do not want to use the Verizon payment plan. The local BB salesperson I spoke with on the phone is stating that I must purchase the new phone using the payment plan with Verizon and I must return my Pixel 3 to Verizon. Everything I am reading here looks like if I pre-order now through Best Buy, I can take my Pixel 3 into store on release day, trade my phone in at Best Buy, receive a gift card for $550 and apply it to the cost of the new S10+. Can I then pay the balance in full or do I have to use the Verizon payment plan. Again, I don't want payments. I want to pay the $450 (plus tax, fees) on the day I pick up the phone.

Thanks!
I work there and planned on doing the same. Best Buy is not allowing preorders on carrier branded devices without installment billing. Only way to get around it and pay in full is to either use the 550 as a down payment on the installments and then pay the remaining balance the next day or preorder the unlocked.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just so I understand, can I reserve in store the unlocked model? Then go pick up on 8th and at that time turn in Note 8 for $550 trade in value. I also see if I activate the unlocked model with my carrier (Verizon) there is $50 off. If I do the unlocked model activation with Verizon from best buy are they going to charge some silly upgrade/activation fee or something like that? Originally was planning to just swap my current sim but might activate via best buy for $50 off if Verizon isn't charging any activation charges.

One more thing is the sales tax calculated after trade in or before trade in value? That's additional savings if it's after trade in.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Just so I understand, can I reserve in store the unlocked model? Then go pick up on 8th and at that time turn in Note 8 for $550 trade in value. I also see if I activate the unlocked model with my carrier (Verizon) there is $50 off. If I do the unlocked model activation with Verizon from best buy are they going to charge some silly upgrade/activation fee or something like that? Originally was planning to just swap my current sim but might activate via best buy for $50 off if Verizon isn't charging any activation charges.

One more thing is the sales tax calculated after trade in or before trade in value? That's additional savings if it's after trade in.

This is what I am doing with AT&T. I reserved two 10S + and will be getting the $550 for trade in of two phones plus the $50 off, so they will be $400 each. The tax appears to be charged on the full amount, though. I do not know about the VZW activation fee or the unlocked version.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

You can do exactly that but Verizon will charge an activation fee of $30 dollars on the next bill for doing the activation. So essentially you'd only save $20 by doing the activation. The $550 would be toward the pretax cost of the device regardless of how you end up purchasing it.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Pre ordered mine at BB and I'm on AT&T. The rep that did mine had to finance it at $24, $1 a month for 24 months. She then said go into AT&T and pay off the $24. Makes sense to me but never done it through BB before.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

This is not true. I've got Verizon version of S10+ on pre-order from Best Buy. I paid it in full on order.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the unlocked with a promise that I just trade my Note 8 in when I come pick up my S10. But now I keep reading that you can't use trade-in towards unlocked and I'm confused as hell. Gonna go to BB today and figure it out with them.

Another issue is that some people who pre-ordered already got $550 deducted on the pre-order confirmation page. My best buy said you only pre-order and then figure out trade-in offer when picking up. Trade-in ends on 3/7, phone releasing on 3/8.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I pre-ordered the unlocked with a promise that I just trade my Note 8 in when I come pick up my S10. But now I keep reading that you can't use trade-in towards unlocked and I'm confused as hell. Gonna go to BB today and figure it out with them.

Another issue is that some people who pre-ordered already got $550 deducted on the pre-order confirmation page. My best buy said you only pre-order and then figure out trade-in offer when picking up. Trade-in ends on 3/7, phone releasing on 3/8.

For me, I went to the store and the associate preordered for me and made the $550 downpayment trade in plus the $50 savings so I ended up financing only $400 on the device. Came out to 16.67 for 24 months but I'll probably pay it off after I get the phone. I also think unlocked phones are excluded. It says it on the fine print.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Just relaying what I've been told at work and what I've been doing since preorders started. Preorders done IN store don't require any type of financial commitment until the day you pick up unless you are buying a carrier version and you have any type of pay off/pay up tied to your upgrade. There is no way to pay for the full device the day you preorder in store. Not sure how the online preorders are but in store you pay nothing unless you need to pay off your lease or pay up to the amount able to upgrade. If you did preorder a carrier variant, you can certainly preorder with the intent of paying the 90-95% down at the time of purchase but out the door, you will still have an installment agreement for the remaining 20ish dollars not covered by the down payment which you would then have to pay off yourself through your carrier.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
There are a few stores that have different systems but majority of the stores are running systems that merely reserve the item without payment until the day of pick up

DLIVINGS

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
Just relaying what I've been told at work and what I've been doing since preorders started. Preorders done IN store don't require any type of financial commitment until the day you pick up unless you are buying a carrier version and you have any type of pay off/pay up tied to your upgrade. There is no way to pay for the full device the day you preorder in store. Not sure how the online preorders are but in store you pay nothing unless you need to pay off your lease or pay up to the amount able to upgrade. If you did preorder a carrier variant, you can certainly preorder with the intent of paying the 90-95% down at the time of purchase but out the door, you will still have an installment agreement for the remaining 20ish dollars not covered by the down payment which you would then have to pay off yourself through your carrier.

Correct. I pre ordered at BB and no money exchanged hands. They will give me the value of my trade in(reduced monthly payments), when I pick up my new S10

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hmm my local best buy took reservation for unlocked device and they specifically said I can trade in Note 8 for $550 even for the unlocked model. I would definitely be pissed if that's not the case.

Can you point me where in the fine print it says unlocked models are excluded?

Edit: interesting found it online. Will drop by the store again and ask them. Says savings excludes unlocked phones, might have to change to Verizon version

310aafde3d546298e3e9f6d185d751cc.jpg

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can use it for an unlocked phone. See the second part of the disclaimer.

You are right, below is the trade in detail and includes unlocked phones. They also say activation not required for unlocked phones.

TRADE-IN OFFER:
*Valid in store only and on trade-in of a smartphone in good working condition. Must trade in eligible device and activate a Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10 or S10+. Trade-in offer does not apply to prepaid phones. $550 total trade-in value eligible with trade-in of a Samsung Galaxy Note8 or newer and other select phones. Upon trade-in of a valid phone, customer will receive a Best Buy gift card. Unlocked phones: Activation not required. Payment is by Best Buy gift card and coupon. Only one coupon per purchase and can only be used once. Taxes/surcharges due at time of purchase. Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the trade-in credit. Not all phones are eligible for trade in and trade-in value may vary. Customer must own trade-in device. Remaining Sprint Flex lease payments will be due immediately at the time of trade-in. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Excludes phones that are cracked or that lack power. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Not compatible with other trade-in offers. No rainchecks. See a Blue Shirt or BestBuy.com/TradeIn for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene