Can the LG G3 VS985 be updated to Android 7.0 Nougat?

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I love this phone, but I to us some newer apps. Is it possible to upgrade this phone or should I just by a new (used) one?

There are 2 reasons for considering the upgrade- I would love to flush it and get a clean install without the Verizon bloatware and I wanted to run Windows Your Phone app.

Is it possible? Is it difficult?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It would be best to get another phone with at least pie Android 9 on it to future proof it a bit. Even a 2 year old phone would be better at this point. Marshmallow and below are beginning to be too old, let alone security updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In order to get rid of the bloatware and/or install a custom ROM based on Nougat (there's no official firmware higher than Marshmallow for that phone), you'd have to root the phone -- you can check the forums at XDA-Developers.com for that kind of information.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. I never got an alert of a reply and forgot all about is. So there is nothing really easy and should probably upgrade. I would love to say that is going to happen tomorrow, but not likely.

Let me pass you a different question. Is there a way on this phone to disable the phone dialer app? Or replace it with something else that will allow you to filter calls?

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the lead on True Caller. I think I will open a new thread as this discussion really has nothing to do with updating my phone. Totally new subject. That way I can better explain what the problem is. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol