Cannot setup email account on Note 2

andalusite

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
I have a Note 2 running KitKat 4.4.2. I use an email server under my own domain.
The email server was changed out recently. I could not edit the email settings on my phone to point to the new server. I deleted the account and started from scratch.
I have tried all of the following without success:
Checked settings in desktop client Thunderbird and used those.
Used settings supplied by my IP support (which were identical to desktop client).
Searched online and various websites and forums give the same settings.
Downloaded two email apps. Both failed in the setup. AquaMail gave a long error message about SSL failure.
I changed the email password in cPanel and changed it on the phone.
Tried both SSL and SSL (accept all certificates).
I created an entirely new email address in cPanel, but could not create it on the phone.
I tried using WiFi and mobile data.
Nothing worked. I get the same error message during setup of both Outgoing and Incoming: Cannot safely connect to server.
I tried without the SSL option in setup and am now able to receive emails. But cannot send emails of course because there is no authentication.
Since the desktop email works, and internet on the phone works, and three email apps fail to setup I suspect there is something wrong with the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, it can take 2 or 3 days for the new settings in the MX record, if there were any, to propagate (reach the DNS server you're using).

Whether you use SSL or not depends on the server - what's it set to do? (If it has no SSL certificate, and you set the client to use one, it won't work.)

"Searched online and various websites and forums give the same settings." For your server? How can anyone else know how your server is set up?

"I created an entirely new email address in cPanel, but could not create it on the phone." Without that, you'll never reach the server. But, again, a new address could take a few days to propagate - it's not instantaneous.

"I get the same error message during setup of both Outgoing and Incoming: Cannot safely connect to server." Sounds like something wrong with a certificate.

"I suspect there is something wrong with the phone" All the phone needs to work on an email server is internet access. Past that, it's all software.

It sounds as if this is a hosted server. Talk to tech support at the hosting company.

But remember, any time you make a change, you'll have to wait a couple of days for it to propagate.

andalusite

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
Rukbat
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply.
A clarification......
I can create a new email address on the hosted server and can immediately setup that email with SSL in Thunderbird and can send and receive emails.
However, I cannot setup that same email address on the phone. I get the message "Cannot safely connect to server".
Your suggestion of a problem with the SSL certificate seems the right route. When AquaMail failed the long error message included information on the SSL. But why does the desktop client work OK but mobile does not?
Im waiting on reply from the hosting support.