Can't clear default apps.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Like an *****, I tapped on use always for a browser but I usually NEVER do that so I have options.

According to this:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6271667?hl=en

Copied and pasted for your convenience:

Clear an app's default settings
Open your phone's Settings app.
Tap Apps.
Tap the app that you no longer want to be the default. If you don't see it, first tap See all apps or App info.
Tap Open by default.
Turn off Open supported links.
After clearing the default, when you take that action again, your phone will ask you which app to use.

I should have the option to tap on open by default which I don't have on my P6P. I just want to have it so the OS asks me which app (browser) to use but there's no way to clear the default. So, I installed my favorite stanby for situations like this, Better Open With app and it works but I'd rather not have an app installed to do what I should be able to do without it.

I read somewhere online about a similar issue and even uninstalled Better Open With since it's set as default browser, thinking that then there would be no browser set as default anymore but nope, Chrome then was automatically set as default. I wish they'd just make it easy and have the option to choose "none" as the default app for whatever! That would be too easy and makes too much sense.

Do any other P6P users have the options above? Not sure if this is an A12 thing, P6P thing or a combination of both.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Here's what I see to clear it on my P6P
e1d023f747d1645196f26d7a603a61e8.jpg
86bd9bef9d585f0061ba8d081f5f5eb8.jpg

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
That's weird because I don't have the option to clear defaults where Google says I should according to the link I posted.

I finally did a search for "default" in settings and found the same thing you posted but that just clears the defaults for that app.

PdL9YWf.png

I guess maybe I'm thinking of the way you could clear all app defaults, years ago on Android. There was a setting somewhere that would clear all of them at once and then your phone would ask which app to open whatever you tapped on after that. No matter what I do, I can't get back the option I first had after setting up my P6P that would let me choose which app to open whatever.

Guess I'll have to stick to Better Open With since it does work.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
You can go settings>apps>reset app preference

Thanks! That's what it was I was thinking would fix this! Aaannnd I really wish I wouldn't have done it because I have a BUNCH of setting up to do over since I had a TON of apps with requirements to have odd permissions to work properly. On top of that, it didn't fix my issue of not having a choice of what app to open links with, like my phone had when I first set it up. Oh well, live and learn.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! That's what it was I was thinking would fix this! Aaannnd I really wish I wouldn't have done it because I have a BUNCH of setting up to do over since I had a TON of apps with requirements to have odd permissions to work properly. On top of that, it didn't fix my issue of not having a choice of what app to open links with, like my phone had when I first set it up. Oh well, live and learn.
The app resetting preference should of gave option when you reset it, so you have something more going on , most likely factory reset.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
The app resetting preference should of gave option when you reset it, so you have something more going on , most likely factory reset.

That's what I thought. No idea why it didn't work. Also, no way I'm factory resetting after so many hours over so many days setting up my P6P from scratch when Better Open With works in place of the OS offering choices and there are no other issues with my phone.

Thanks for all the help and tips, everyone!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's what I thought. No idea why it didn't work. Also, no way I'm factory resetting after so many hours over so many days setting up my P6P from scratch when Better Open With works in place of the OS offering choices and there are no other issues with my phone.

Thanks for all the help and tips, everyone!
I understand the task for factory reset, maybe check next update and try the app preference reset once more see if it works then .

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, now I remember why I rarely ever even do the reset app preferences and couldn't remember where it was (it's been years since I did that). I've spent around 3 hours so far, getting my phone back to normal just because of doing the reset app preferences. I had over a dozen app specific sounds that were wiped out, many specific sounds for text messages wiped out and also all the permissions to grant again in all the apps requiring them.

It's really too bad that the option to reset app preferences is an all or none choice. But I guess it sort of makes sense because one might not know which app is causing an issue and clearing it all gives you a clean slate and is better than a factory reset.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK, now I remember why I rarely ever even do the reset app preferences and couldn't remember where it was (it's been years since I did that). I've spent around 3 hours so far, getting my phone back to normal just because of doing the reset app preferences. I had over a dozen app specific sounds that were wiped out, many specific sounds for text messages wiped out and also all the permissions to grant again in all the apps requiring them.

It's really too bad that the option to reset app preferences is an all or none choice. But I guess it sort of makes sense because one might not know which app is causing an issue and clearing it all gives you a clean slate and is better than a factory reset.
Yeah it does it for all apps and enables disabled apps again , like you said all for one lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej