Can't get past the WiFi setup screen

Mr Spock

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first tablet two days ago, a used Nexus 10 with 32GB. The guy I bought it from did a factory reset just before handing it to me. So I took it home and started to set it up, not being sure what to expect.

The first screen asked for my country, but the second screen was to setup the WiFi. It found the all the AP's broadcasting in my area but I had to add mine manually ("+ other networks" at the screen bottom) since I don't broadcast my SSID. It responded to my manual entry by saying "saved" just below my AP's name in the list of all found APs and showed a good signal strength. All seems good so far. But now what? There is no next or continue button. I tried swiping and touching everything thinking maybe there is a hidden button. Nothing. I'm stuck on the WiFi setup screen and can't seem to proceed.

Any help is appreciated.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Log into the router from your computer and see if the device shows as connected. Check Mac filtering etc.

A quick fix might be to factory reset your device, temporarily have your router broadcast an ID until after you get the N10 up and running

Mr Spock

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You were close. Turns out the setup will not continue unless you have wifi access. No wifi access means you can't setup your tablet (unless there is some secret process I don't know about). This is not written anywhere I could find, and certainly not stated anywhere on the screen during this setup process. A friend of mine found it on a google search on Nexus 7s.

One thing I did not mention previously is that my AP grants connections based on listed MAC addresses. However the tablet's MAC address is not listed or written anywhere like it is on laptops. You have to get to the settings to get the MAC, but you can't access that yet; a classic catch-22. It would have been nice if they gave the mac address on the wifi setup screen and noted that a wifi connection is required to continue (Google are you listening?).

So I had to go into the AP's setup, note the MAC address of all devices having or attempting connections (they are listed), figure out which one is for the tablet (process of elimination), then add this MAC address to the Accept list. Once I did this the tablet immediately progressed to the next setup screen all on it's own.

Hope this helps others who get stuck here.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yep, that works too. I just did not want to let my pants down for even a moment ;).

Ha! you've already got SSID broadcast turned off, and I assume you have encryption enabled... highly doubt a few minutes of mac filtering being off is that big a risk!

I picture you in your house setting up the tab, and the minute you disable mac filter, we hear your neighbor in the distance shout, "woo hoo! your network is mine now, Spock!"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
it has been a busy week I havnt had time to check. Thanks! Now I dont need to. I still swear i've seen the MAC address somewhere else. Hmmmm?

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
:) I know, I felt the same way (HAS to be on the box....) I'm guessing Google thought the same and that it's more of an oversight than intentional.

Did anyone look under the back removable part that holds the screen protector? Just thought of that...

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just popped off my N10 book cover and only saw battery info displayed there.

I wonder if the shrink wrap covering the box had a label with the info printed on it. Mine came preloaded so I can't recall if there was shrink wrap.

Last edited:

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just popped off my N10 book cover and only saw battery info displayed there.

I wonder if the shrink wrap covering the box had a label with the info printed on it. Mine came preloaded so I can't recall if there was shrink wrap.

Man, they missed an opportunity there.

I've gotten two units, due to one RMA, both sealed but not there either :)

TomRydz

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue and added the MAC address. Does this mean every Panera Bread I walk into (Starbucks, etc.), I need to ask them to add me? Obviously, no. So, does it connect to other hot spots OK?

Tom

Vaughan Palelei

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It's under advanced settings. Tap Wifi then tap three bullet con in the top right hand corner. Tap advanced. It should be 2nd to last on the drop down list that displays.