Can't Get Rid Of Android Auto

G-roid

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have the Google Pixel 3 phone. I installed Android Auto on it, to use in my truck. I decided I don't want it anymore, and I can't delete it from my phone! Even though I've force stopped and disabled it on my phone, Android Auto still asks me to install it when I plug it in my truck. I can't seem to find a way to delete the app now. I'm not getting the option to delete it. Does anyone know how to get rid of the app? Would I have to do a factory wipe on my phone? Thanks in advance!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Android Auto still asks me to install it when I plug it in my truck. I can't seem to find a way to delete the app now

The phone telling you to install the app when plugged into the truck does not mean it's installed on the phone. The truck is simply telling the phone it can use Android Auto and the phone is telling you it doesn't know how to handle the call the launch it since it's not installed. This does not mean it's installed, and if you've already removed it then it wouldn't be in the app manager to be able to remove it again.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Ah - it's a system app and can't be uninstalled without rooting the phone.
Additionally I have noticed that with some vehicles it seems to Force the use of Android Auto or Apple Car Play to "ensure safety" and lock out things like Texting while driving.

As mentioned, the best you can do at this point is to disable it.

I have read, however, that in some vehicles, even that is not an option.

Myself, I tried out Android Auto on a previous phone and I didn't like it either because I didn't like the Texting to be completely locked out while I was idle at a stop light or in backed up traffic. And I didn't like the phone being forced into Landscape mode, since I personally prefer to use Google Maps in Portrait mode.

I do, however, realize that in the near future, with my next vehicle, I will have to accept that if I link my phone to the vehicle, I will be forced to use Android Auto. I only hope that at that point it will be a bit more customizable and at least allow the use of the phone in Portrait Mode instead of forcing Landscape Mode.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
And I didn't like the phone being forced into Landscape mode, since I personally prefer to use Google Maps in Portrait mode.

Odd - I have my phone in a cradle, vertically, and use AA on the phone screen (since my vehicle doesn't have it). I'm not forced to use landscape, it will actually auto-rotate even.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Odd - I have my phone in a cradle, vertically, and use AA on the phone screen (since my vehicle doesn't have it). I'm not forced to use landscape, it will actually auto-rotate even.
Hummm...maybe the newer versions have changed.

Maybe I should give Android Auto another try.

And if I decide I still don't like it, I'll just remove it again.

Thanks for the tip!

Nona ur Business

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Can Android auto stop a car? I know when Bluetooth is connected through a device because I don't have Bluetooth on my head unit. And through Google maps I think that Android auto has the ability to stop my car and when I put gas in it again it starts right up this is a brand new issue for me and I think that Android auto has been programmed in my head unit and that's what's messing things up. I've never had it stopped like that on me before never can it shut a car down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rahul Singha