Can't uninstall (Google) Device Policy App?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
There is a device policy app that's in my phone. Not sure why it's needed, but I can't uninstall it only disable it. Any body know if this app is important?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Well on Google play says the app is for business and schools and governments only... Not sure how or ended up on my phone...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You can uninstall or disable it, depending on your device. Go to Settings > Security and select "Device Administrators". Uncheck Google Device Policy, then hit "Deactivate" and "OK".
Then open the app info again and "Uninstall" or "Disable" should be an option now. Hit that and select "OK".

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Well on Google play says the app is for business and schools and governments only... Not sure how or ended up on my phone...

Do you have a Google Apps account on your phone?

We use Google Apps for our email and Drive and some other things here at MoNa. Someone (I won't point fingers but it was probably Phil lol) was fiddling around in the admin tools and that app got sent to our devices.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a Google Apps account on your phone?

We use Google Apps for our email and Drive and some other things here at MoNa. Someone (I won't point fingers but it was probably Phil lol) was fiddling around in the admin tools and that app got sent to our devices.
No I got the Google search app and that's it... The device policy app only appears in the install/uninstall list but not in app drawer... also i can't open it...it only has enable/disable and force quit options...

37fe4caca15e559f2f20f7702e476350.jpg

You can uninstall or disable it, depending on your device. Go to Settings > Security and select "Device Administrators". Uncheck Google Device Policy, then hit "Deactivate" and "OK".
Then open the app info again and "Uninstall" or "Disable" should be an option now. Hit that and select "OK".
I don't see the app listed in under "device administrator"...

7e15c4f129c6fa174c35f26022227b3d.jpg

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Weird.

Could it be tied to the Where's my Droid app I wonder? Or maybe Cerebus (haven't used it in several years)?

Both those apps are able to edit or change things on your phone normally only allowed by you when you're logged in (screen unlocked and turned on).

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok just hit that disable button on your first screenshot
Thx for advice, but still no uninstall button appears when when disabled.
Weird.

Could it be tied to the Where's my Droid app I wonder? Or maybe Cerebus (haven't used it in several years)?

Both those apps are able to edit or change things on your phone normally only allowed by you when you're logged in (screen unlocked and turned on).
It could be... thx for help, maybe I'll find out soon as I'm actually going to do a reinstall as I have another more serious issue to deal with related to this thread...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=687241

Shunyo

May 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I reached this thread trying to uninstall the device policy app, my past employer organisation had me install it and now they have deactivated my account and still I have not been able to uninstall the device policy app. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZCY