Car kit for HTC EVO?

Steve66

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the market for a car kit for my EVO. Any tips on what to look for or what options are available/soon to be available? I'd prefer a beanbag mount like the one I use with my Garmin:
garmin-friction-mount-with-sat-nav.jpg

Thanks!

Steve

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use one of those. I see lots of people with them, but if you get in an accident or have to make some evasive maneuver it becomes a projectile. Get something that actually attaches to your dash.

Here's what I use, it fits pretty much anything. Worked great for my Pre and now it works great with the Evo. I don't trust the little adhesive mount so I attached it with a screw, but I know some people don't want to put screws in their dash. They sell these at Walmart and lots of other stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Universal-Holder-Flex-Arm/dp/B000K3890A

Last edited:

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use one of those. I see lots of people with them, but if you get in an accident or have to make some evasive maneuver it becomes a projectile. Get something that actually attaches to your dash.

Here's what I use, it fits pretty much anything. Worked great for my Pre and now it works great with the Evo. I don't trust the little adhesive mount so I attached it with a screw, but I know some people don't want to put screws in their dash. They sell these at Walmart and lots of other stores.

Amazon.com: Type S Universal Holder, Flex Arm: Automotive

Looks like a pretty good solution. Would you mind sharing a photo of it installed with the Evo on it?

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I want the Ego dock as well. I picked up a universal gps holder that's big enough to hold the Evo as well as rotates for nav as a hold me over.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for ProClip to come out with one for the Evo. Here's the one they have for the Droid Incredible...

512147.jpg-480x480

It also has the charger built in.

DougDarden

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a ProClip mount that I used with my Pre. For those not familiar with ProClip, it's a two part system (mount + holder). The mount is specific to your car. The holder specific to your phone. Here is a example picture of their 'Tilt Swivel' mount+holder...
Tilt%20Swivel.jpg-400x400

Here's a picture of their "Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter" for the HTC HD2...
512086.jpg-480x480

I emailed ProClip to see if/when they were making a "Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter" for the EVO. Here's their response...
Thank you for your interest in our ProClip Holders. At this time we do not have a Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter for the HTC EVO 4G. We do anticipate making one, however due to the large number of new products we are developing, we cannot give a specific date as to when this will be available. You will be notified by e-mail as soon as the Holder has been received at our warehouse and is ready for online ordering.

Best Regards,
ProClip USA Customer Service
ProClip Mounting System-Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

Jeryl31

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Evo Dock

I'll definitely be getting a universal one for now and then when the official one comes out i'll hop on that

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping someone will make one that will let me use the Garmin base, so I can use that base with the charger, since I already have it mounted in my truck.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Besides the universal one that was posted earlier, does anyone have any recommendations for another universal preferably in black?

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I hope pro clip or seidio makes their car kits asap ! My girlfriend and I are taking a cross country drive the first week in july and I would love to be able to use a car mount with my evo and google maps

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got a universal one from Radio Shack for 20 bucks. It uses a suction cub and also has a supporting clip that you stick on your dashboard for extra strength. Works perfectly fine together with my 850 Sprint Charger I bought together with my Pre a year ago.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have a solution that either goes on the vent or directly to the cigarette lighter. I live in AZ so dashboards and windshield mounts are not an option :)

Loondog

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I still have the Proclip vehicle mount in my car from my last phone, but no holder cause one is not made for the EVO yet. The problem is that I will also have the Seidio case and want a simple slide in holder for my phone using the Proclip mount. I wonder if there is an existing Proclip holder for another model that would accomodate the EVO with Sedio case.

Also, Will the Proclip swivel holder allow you to use the EVO in normal mode and not only the Navigator app? I listen to podcasts in the car and need access to BeyondPod.

Edit:
It would also be nice for the Proclip charging holders to have a USB charge port on the side of their car charger.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I still have the Proclip vehicle mount in my car from my last phone, but no holder cause one is not made for the EVO yet. The problem is that I will also have the Seidio case and want a simple slide in holder for my phone using the Proclip mount. I wonder if there is an existing Proclip holder for another model that would accomodate the EVO with Sedio case.

Proclip has the adjustable holders that can be adjusted from 2.3 to 3.2 inches in width. The Evo is 2.6 inches wide and with the Seidio case, it's still under 3 inches.

Proclip Padded Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel for thicker devices with or without a skin

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Too bad the Proclip ones don't pass audio as well. It's also too bad that the EVO doesn't pass audio through it's USB port. It would make for a much cleaner install as opposed to running another wire from the top of the phone to my AUX-IN.

I have a whole bunch of "historic" Proclip holders in my garage from all my previous phones. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality37