Case Recommendations?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a case, and would like some input from those of you who use them. So, here's what I know and what I would like... and I'll let you wonderful folk tell me what you've used and if you liked it or hated it or liked it and had issues, or....

I'm getting a Gnex (i9250m) soon, within a couple weeks. I know I want a case for it. I don't want a soft gel/silicone case, I'd prefer a hard shell. Ideally it would protect like an Otterbox Defender, and be about as thick as Ghost Armor -- but that's not gonna happen! So, I think what I'm looking for is a thin liner for cushioning and some sort of hard plastic skeleton or shell around that. Otterbox commuter looks good, but heard some bad reviews. Bodyglove SEEMS to only have for the Verizon Gnex (if I'm wrong, someone correct me). Case-mate also appears to only offer Verizon-specific cases.

I'm not in construction, so I don't need heavy-duty protection. I am a bit of a klutz, so I don't want to risk having a naked phone, so drop protection is kind of a must. And since I'll have charging available for part of the day and overnight, at this point I don't expect to need an extended battery.

So, what do you folks use? What do you like and dislike about your current case? And how much of a difference is there between the Verizon Gnex and the 9250 model? Do some cases work on both?

(sorry if there's a similar thread. I did a quick search and just came up with promos for the store - no real "user reviews")

CBizzle31

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I got his guy, it is a soft case but very ridged. Fits well, doesnt add to much bulk, comes with a screen protector and the best part its 10 bucks!

Highly recommended by me i got it as a placeholder just until i found one i really liked but i really liked this one. Its going to be a long term case.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Fle...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1684317

edit: it looks like it will fit on both variations of the phone, and will even accommodation the extended battery for the gsm nexus.

stimpy01234

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Whatever case you decide on, make sure that it's got a bit of a rim so that if you drop your phone glass side down that your case absorbs the blow. :cool:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
After I posted this I stumbled across the Diztronic case. It looks like a winner, and the reviews sound pretty good too!

I came across a good review of it on Youtube in case anyone else is interested. (*standard disclaimer* it's not made by me and I have no affiliation with anyone/anything mentioned in the video)

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9FyXedUZk[/YT]

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I decided to get the Otterbox Commuter. From the photos I saw online I was worried about how far the silicone inner would stick out past the shell. Specifically, I was worried about how far the silicon over the buttons would stand out past the shell...

Once I saw it in person I was rather impressed. Its slightly bulkier then I was hoping but I'll sacrifice a bit of pocketability for the added protection. Just waiting for my Zagg to come in and I'll feel a lot better :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I decided to get the Otterbox Commuter. From the photos I saw online I was worried about how far the silicone inner would stick out past the shell. Specifically, I was worried about how far the silicon over the buttons would stand out past the shell...

Once I saw it in person I was rather impressed. Its slightly bulkier then I was hoping but I'll sacrifice a bit of pocketability for the added protection. Just waiting for my Zagg to come in and I'll feel a lot better :)

It's a great, great case. I have had one since I received the phone. I ordered another case--a Rearth Slim--but only because I wanted a "ooooh look how pretty!" case to go along with my tough as nails protection.

Trust me on this, too--it's saved my ASS at least 3 times.

Reactions: dancing-bass

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. I hope I never have to "try it out", but I feel better knowing its a solid case. FWIW if I'm around the apartment the phone is usually naked but if I'm out it goes in the case.

I did that for a bit but having to put it back on got annoying. Also, they have fantastic customer service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact phone (i9250, in white).

The first thing for you to to do is to invest in the ZAGG Invisible Shield screen protector; it's pricey, but well-worth it.

I went to the local mall, and one of the cell accessories kiosks had a two-piece clear plastic case. It provides protection and is not nearly as bulky as others I've seen.

You're going to love this phone! (For a ROM mod, I highly recommend the "BlackICE Maguro" ROM for this GSM phone.)

NOTE: Regardless of which case you choose, be certain you protect your screen -- from Day One -- with the ZAGG.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
@Porfy, the only thing that turned me away from the Incipio case was the fact it has so much exposed silicone. From my experience silicone only skins attract a lot of dust and are a real pain to get out of your pocket -- I kind of assumed with that much exposed silicone, the same would hold true for the Incipio case. However I read a lot of positive reviews on it. If it had more of the shell covering the silicone I'd have given it more consideration. How have you found it for day to day life?

The commuter has much more solid shell to it, and so far I've had no problems getting it and out of my jeans pocket. I've had it about a week, and so far I haven't "tested" it as far as drops/impacts go. I do wish it were a little slimmer, but I do appreciate that it's easier to hang on to the Gnex now. (I find it somewhat slippery when its out of the case)

If there were a local dealer for the diztronic cases, I'd have given those a real close look too... they seemed like exactly what I wanted. I just didn't want to order one and then be disappointed in it.

Phazenine

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox commuter / Casemate tough = Best for heavy protection. Ghost Armor Carbon fiber full body kit for light scratch /scuff protection. There's a lot of choices out there. Seidio, Casemate, Otterbox, Incipio, Diztronics, all good brands
442cbfee-9d5a-ec1a.jpg

Sent from my i9250 (GSM) Galaxy Nexus.
Phazenine@Twitter

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayleepalmer90