Cell standby and Photos causing massive drain post MM update

walkerMN

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I am usually a light phone user, because I work from home and I'm on Wifi most of the day in front of 3 screens and multiple computers sharing them. I have the Turbo because when I DO travel, which is rare, being able to count on my phone to get me through a day of heavy use (hour long conference calls, GPS, email, apps, the works) is of great importance. The rest of the time, my only heavy app use is a podcast app.

Before the MM update, I could get 2 full days of light use, but pretty much charge my phone on a wireless (non-turbo) changer every night to top it off. Some nights I'd forget, and it'd run down more or I'd plug it in at my desk during the day, but generally it's regularly topped back up.

Since the update, I am getting terrible battery life. I can't be off the charger for long without significant drain. Unless I use the Turbo charge or a long overnight, I can't "top it up" plugging it into the non-turbo charger at my desk, because it seems the drain is too close to the non-turbo change rate. It's nearly unusable except that... I've not had to travel with it yet.

The culprits are always cell standby and photos. I have force-stopped photos regularly with no effect. I rebooted a few times, I cleared the cache once either right before or after a reboot. So far, nothing works.

My work life has been busy, but not travel-busy, so I've not really had time to deal with it. My plan for this weekend is to top it off, back it up, uninstall the photos app (I mostly use the Gallery app from Motorola out of habit anyhow), and see how I do... But I suspect the cell standby will still be a problem. Failing that, since I'll have the backup, I can try a factory reset which I must admit I'm reluctant to do as I've never done it on this phone.

My wife also has a Turbo, which seems to be fine so far - at least, she's not complaining. I'm not someone who installs a ton of apps, but obviously our phones were configured differently. I've noticed a few other oddities - improvements and annoyances (calendar readability I see others complain about, etc.), but this is the only glaring problem so far.

My question is this - are there other things in MM I should be looking at, configuration-wise? I saw references to Doze which I assume is a battery management tool - I'll look into it. Other settings or features new in MM that I should consider? Anyone else solve the "cell standy" issue have advice?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cell standy and Photos causing massive drain post MM update

Welcome to Android Central! So that we can have a better idea of your phone's battery usage, it would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Also, make sure your Google Photos app is not set to back up photos automatically, or make sure it's only doing so when you're on wi-fi or when you're charging.

And when you have a chance, head over to the Intros forum and tell us something about yourself! Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

gilgamess3

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

The same for me...in stanby battery draining is a shame...then good phone signal, no gps, no bluetooth, no photos backup...in airplane mode too, hard draining...only a few apps; I have no words...
p.s. google play services crashes very often

Last edited:

walkerMN

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

I don't know if it helps anyone at THIS point, but I just stumbled back here and realized I never posted my own solution... it took a factory reset of the phone to resolve whatever got fouled up during that update, but I'm still using the phone today with no battery drain issues after that reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332