Change default music player?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are trying to save time and clicks, you can set your music player to automatically play when you plug headphones in. That's how mine is set up. I use poweramp, which is by far my favorite music player (it sounds amazing and is really great for customization), and I have it set to autoplay when I plug my headphones in. I disabled the stupid "Audio Applications" thing in the notification bar because it just got in the way of my other notifications. Poweramp's player controls show up in the notification bar when it is playing music, so if you need to plug headphones in but don't want music, you can pull your notification bar down and turn it off as it comes on. 99% of the time I'm playing music when I put headphones in, so this was the ideal solution for me.
Good suggestions on saving steps. I've used Poweramp in the past and did like it, but it was force closing often enough to become an annoyance. I went back to using the default Music Player. This was in the ICS timeframe and the force closes could have been more to do with ICS than anything else. Now with Jellybean I'm still using the stock player. I'll go back and checkout Poweramp.

macbook5

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Your memory serves you right - there is NO option to disable the Samsung Music player. Tried that before I ever posted on this board. Oh well...for the most part the Default App Manager program works 80-90% of the time so that's bearable.

Anyone figure out how to stop the stock Samsung Music Player app from starting when you plug in a headset? I have installed Default App Manager Lite and set default to my music player of choice Music Player (Remix) and when I plug in headset it keeps giving me the stock one. I have even used the settings from within Music Player (Remix) to start playing music on headset plug in but the stock player comes up every time. I would like to figure this out without rooting. I am frustrated, anyone been able to figure this out?

Last edited:

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to stop the stock Samsung Music Player app from starting when you plug in a headset? I have installed Default App Manager Lite and set default to my music player of choice (Astro Player) and when I plug in headset it keeps giving me the stock one. I have even used the settings from within Astro Player to start playing music on headset plug in but the stock player comes up every time. I would like to figure this out without rooting. I am frustrated, anyone been able to figure this out?

Settings / System / Accessory - uncheck the "Audio Applications" checkbox in the Earphones section.

macbook5

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's my carrier, but I don't have that option. I am using an i747 from Rogers Wireless (Canada). I seem to remember such an option (I think) before the upgrade to Jelly Bean. But nothing like that under accessories.

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't remember how to do it but I'm thinking it may be turning off the automatic pop-up app Samsung has on the device for whenever headphones are plugged in, or the pen is pulled out. I can't find what that app was but I told it not to open whenever I do those things and my Google Play Music generally is the default player. Unfortunately still if I click on an MP3 email attachment it opens in the Samsung Music player. There are a few website embedded video streams that also automatically open in the player (rather than playing within the embedded player on the site) which drives me crazy....but it's better now. Adding Default App Manager was key for me and turning off the auto app associated with headphones and the pen.

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I want to change the default music player to another player, and ideally have that show up in the Notification shade pulldown as the default player after inserting the headset jack. I checked around in settings and didn't see any obvious options.

It IS possible to replace the audio applications in the pulldown, but you need to be rooted to do it. When I did it I had a rom that allowed me to do so through the settings. But you could try this thread, it seems promising. [HOW TO] Edit "Audio Applications" Notifcation (or remove it)

toominator

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The Default App Manager only shows a handful of audio/video apps unfortunately. In my situation, I listen to audio books and podcasts using Smart Audiobook Player and PocketCast. For some reason, whether I use my headphone button with headset, or switch to Blutooth, Smart Audiobook starts 90% of the time but I want PocketCast to be the default player. :(

jcllings

May 21, 2011
Visit site
What I figured out about this was that Samsung hosed us over pretty good here. What they did was:

1. Create a music app that cannot be removed.
2. Create another app that also cannot be removed which monitors the default and changes it back to Samsung Music player when you change it to something else.

One possibility might be to figure out which task it is that does the monitoring ( I used to know but I've since forgotten ) and autokill the task on startup. If this doesn't work then maybe if you couple this technique with a default task setter.

I'll see if I can figure out which process does the setting.

jcllings

May 21, 2011
Visit site
After reviewing my settings it tuns our that my approach to this in the past was to disable all of the samsung services which proves my point about it being one of thier processes which is the pest.
Serves em right, I guess. It's my phone, not thiers which means it's my way or the highway.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "rooting"? What is rooting?

Don't let it bother you. Rooting means you can get to the root subdirectories. It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
The phone will be fine without it.

AC App on SGS3

wavey38

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Excellent suggestion. I was having trouble listening to Winamp through headphones on my bike. Every time I used the headphone controls to skip a song the LG "Music" app would launch and I'd have two music players running playing different tunes. Not ideal. This seems to solve the problem.

maddix

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth connect and Play

Solves the issue of what app automatically opens when connecting to an auto Bluetooth radio.

trewa

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks Srambo217, that was the exact suggestion which i needed to change from the default player to my 3rd party player when i plug in my headphones. thanks, good work.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174