Charger Cover Broke

jon andersen

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My door is still attached but will not properly close or seal

1) AT&T will not provide a loaner
2) Samsung wants 11 days to replace and will only do it at their service center
3) After complaining AT&T said they will reimburse me for a go phone after I buy it and open an account for that new phone

After all that I will still have to go with my aps. and smart phone for about 2 weeks and I will have to go through this inconvenience. Hours messing around with this when they could just send me another rubber door, put out a you tube video on how to do it (for those that are not skilled at such matters).

I think after this display of customer service I will avoid Samsung in the future.

PS the phone is not water; proof as many customers have had failures because of the door, even on relatively new phones. the whole marketing lie is just that another big business LYING to us to get our money.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I took mine off..... So much better without it.

Yes it means the bottom is no longer water resistant, but neither has any phone I've owned in the past.

Posted via Android Central App

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My door is still attached but will not properly close or seal

1) AT&T will not provide a loaner
2) Samsung wants 11 days to replace and will only do it at their service center
3) After complaining AT&T said they will reimburse me for a go phone after I buy it and open an account for that new phone

After all that I will still have to go with my aps. and smart phone for about 2 weeks and I will have to go through this inconvenience. Hours messing around with this when they could just send me another rubber door, put out a you tube video on how to do it (for those that are not skilled at such matters).

I think after this display of customer service I will avoid Samsung in the future.

PS the phone is not water; proof as many customers have had failures because of the door, even on relatively new phones. the whole marketing lie is just that another big business LYING to us to get our money.
The phone was never advertised as waterproof.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off..... So much better without it.

Yes it means the bottom is no longer water resistant, but neither has any phone I've owned in the past.

That's why I never replaced mine when it came off. I prefer it to be open w/o the flap.

Natasha Staton

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Mine wouldn't stay closed. AT&T told me that it was a "known issue," and immediately sent me a replacement phone and postage/packaging to send mine in. This took less than a week and I was never without a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Michael Favela

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Yep, Mine was suddenly missing today when I went to plug my phone into my car charger. Debating whether I should buy a new one or not. Part costs like 5.53 on amazon. A couple of bad reviews on there about the replacement part immediately breaking so I don't know if I should risk buying one or not. I suppose its only like 9-10$ wasted if it breaks again....

Caspernsocal

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
No one has replied with what actually broke. I'm betting it just came off where its attached and either will go back in or at least still seal the port if you put it on. I also bet those that have a broken one yanked on the damn thing. I could be wrong though.

cruz allen

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I think some people have trouble getting it open. I saw a guy at an air port who carried the pen size flat tip to pry it open. Seems if you have no finger nails, its a bword to get open. His was all tore up... I've had mine since may and no issues at all..

Posted via the Android Central App

Greebe

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Have had the S5 since the end of April. Have always taken care of phones... don't even use cases. Example, still use our 6 year old Sprint Hero's and our 3 year old Galaxy S2's on a daily basis (webcams, mp3 players and cooking timers/recipes). But this hinge thing has always unnerved me. Being meticulous when opening and trying not to twist (an impossibility in the real world), the cover fell off a few days ago. Simply pulled plug straight out and the port cover came with it.
This is a poor design and there are no if's, and's, or but's about it! Shame on Samsung for playing off this defect as user abuse. There isn't a fine line between "use" and "abuse". This was designed for failure.

I did buy this device for it's water resistance and without the port cover is worthless in this regard. As of now, wish I got the Note 3, which my wife has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Have had my S5 since May and no issues opening / closing the USB port.. It is pain in the *** to open at times but not to the point where it breaks.

black

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't see this being a design flaw at all. I am pretty hard on my phone when charging it and not even once have I been close to damaging the port cover or anything of the sort. On the S3 and S4 I bent the USB connectors to the point where the couldn't charge unless they were lying still, so I am pretty rough, but the S5 is no problem. Anyway, there are many of you out there, so here you go:

How to Safely Remove & Replace the Charging Port Cover on Your Samsung Galaxy S5 ? Samsung Galaxy S5

Jaime Torgrimson

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
the hinge on mind just broke as well. and i'm not rough with it, unless you consider moving it so i can charge my phone. pay $700 for a phone because i was out of contract this happens. great.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I ripped mine off intentionally last week. I've had the phone since launch day, and I bite my fingernails, so it was an ordeal everytime I wanted to charge my phone. I had to find something to stick in there to pry the cover open. Finally decided the trouble wasn't worth the .001% chance I drop the phone in the toilet, and ripped it off. Now sometime in the next couple of weeks I expect to drop the phone in the toilet.

GamerCenter1

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Yep. Just happened to be last week :\. Sent to to Samsung and they are going to fix it for free cause its a comment issue. Still mad about it though cause i have to be without a phone for 9-12 business days.