Charging

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it me our does this phone charge extremely slow? My iPad charges at almost the same rate if not faster. I'm looking into that BlackBerry Premium charger AC sells. They say it works with the galaxy s3 but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it

comshock25

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Really slow. Am using the charger that came with the box. Wondering if it has got to do with the charger current.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking it was fast...went from 15% to 80% just now in about 45 minutes charging time - using the wall charger that came with it.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget too that the battery in the SGS3 is larger than other phone batteries... and that can contribute to what seems like longer charging times.

zbStylez

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I noticed when it says charging complete unplug phone, if you unplug it and plug it back in immediately it charges for another 10 minutes. Does this signify something?

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the same size battery in the gnex and it does seem like the s3 takes longer to charge.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

andyl66

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The s3 has a huge battery. The first 85 to 90% will fast charge, then it will trickle charge the rest. All good chargers do the same, it is the last part of the charging cycle that takes forever. Most manuals will tell you a full charge takes 8 hours.

The best way to charge is to run totally flat until it refuses to switch on. Then leave off and charge over night.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The s3 has a huge battery. The first 85 to 90% will fast charge, then it will trickle charge the rest. All good chargers do the same, it is the last part of the charging cycle that takes forever. Most manuals will tell you a full charge takes 8 hours.

The best way to charge is to run totally flat until it refuses to switch on. Then leave off and charge over night.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Does anyone know if you can use other chargers to charge the S-3, I have one from the.Atrix2 and one from a Samsung S-2.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Does the speed of charging come from the wire? Or the actual usb wall plug? I believe the BBP charger charges.8 amps faster.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
All microUSB chargers work but are not the same. It depends on how much power each one supplies. Every USB cord is pretty much the same but if it's plugged into a computer it's going to be a much slower charge than using the wall charger that came with it.

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The charging rate can also be manipulated by the manufacturer. My LG Spectrum comes with a 0.8 amp charger but the phone will not draw more than about 0.5 amps. A custom ROM can change this, with a shortened life span being the result.

Three hours to go from 10 to 100% sounds pretty good to me, though. And when you unplug the phone and plug it back to in charge it some more is called "bump charging." You can improve you battery's charge quite a bit doing it this way, but it can also shorten your life span...

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The charging rate can also be manipulated by the manufacturer. My LG Spectrum comes with a 0.8 amp charger but the phone will not draw more than about 0.5 amps. A custom ROM can change this, with a shortened life span being the result.

Three hours to go from 10 to 100% sounds pretty good to me, though. And when you unplug the phone and plug it back to in charge it some more is called "bump charging." You can improve you battery's charge quite a bit doing it this way, but it can also shorten your life span...

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

So even if I did get the blackberry premium charger it wouldn't charge at the 1.8amp because Samsung has the cap at 1.0?

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I think it charges rather fast actually, especially considering it's a bigger battery than my old Thin RAZR

jostnyc

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Weird thing happened to me last night. Left the phone charging overnight. It wasn't completely dead. I think it had about 30 percent battery life. When I woke up it was at 68 percent. Must have been on the charger about 8 hours.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Weird thing happened to me last night. Left the phone charging overnight. It wasn't completely dead. I think it had about 30 percent battery life. When I woke up it was at 68 percent. Must have been on the charger about 8 hours.

That same thing happened to me. After 2 days of trying to figure out why the dreadfully slow charge, I took the charger back to sprint for a new one.
They tested it, and said it was fine. I told them ( again ) it wasn't fine.
So they plugged my phone in and said "Look, the charge icon is on". I was like "ok wise guy.
I'll give you $10 if the battery % increases in the next 5 minutes. If not, you get me a new charger and stop bustin my balls"
5 minutes later I walked out with a new charger.
The guy told me this was the first charging issue he had seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry