Chromebook will not boot to recovery mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just bought a used HP chromebook 11 ,and it will not boot into recovery mode. I hold the esc, refresh, and tap the power button but It will not go into recovery. I try it with the power on and off and still no results. Am I doing something wrong or could it just be the chromebook?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How long are you holding the Esc and Refresh keys after releasing the Power button?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to boot it up and use it normally? If so, do you notice any problems with the Esc or Refresh keys? If those keys are faulty, then you won't be able to boot into Recovery.

Thomas Stephen1

Oct 25, 2022
Visit site
Are you able to boot it up and use it normally? If so, do you notice any problems with the Esc or Refresh keys? If those keys are faulty, then you won't be able to boot into Recovery.

I'm having this same issue also. I hold down the esc + refresh button and I press power button (I have tried all types of various amounts of tome to hold power button ) it'll boot show chrome os black screen. Then it will flash white for a second like it wants to go into recovery mode but instead it boots normal. When I boot normally I do not get the white screen flash

First post on this site hopefully I did this right if not please let me know where I should pay a thread if my own.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You did it right.:)

Which Chromebook do you have? As a refresher, here are the steps below, from this help page: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en. Make sure you're holding down Esc and Refresh after letting go of the Power button, until the Recovery menu shows up. If that doesn't work, try the Esc & Maximize combination instead.

[FONT=&quot]Press and hold [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Esc[/FONT][FONT=&quot] + Refresh [/FONT]
3XKnstOuiq5G1zw_fiVWq18N1Q5nBcmrj9-Yqq5hYeFnD7XkMAWpAwBo12CpF098UJc=w36-h36
[FONT=&quot], then press Power [/FONT]
kAHr8vumwhvtDC2Hym0l6uYOS4noMZmy0I4VPBqehXM93XkSJtkz4P0RE-BOs8hoZA=w36
[FONT=&quot]. Let go of Power.[/FONT]
  • On some Chromebook models: Press and hold Esc + Maximize
    ZgwI1JWIMPXn0bOjJXIbIkYraiD8KtwGrJRH
    , then press Power
    kAHr8vumwhvtDC2Hym0l6uYOS4noMZmy0I4VPBqehXM93XkSJtkz4P0RE-BOs8hoZA=w36
    . Let go of Power.
  • When a message shows on the screen, let go of the other keys.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter