Chromecast : Aereo

firedfoxd

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Will you be able to use Aereo with your ChromeCast?

https://aereo.com/ (For anyone that don't know what Aereo is)

Why do i ask, Looking into alternatives to cut the Cable cord out of my house
if this works it will be a very good contender vs Cable service and save any a big chunk of $$$

danknapp76

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
There is no native app just yet (hopefully there will be), but I tested this yesterday by viewing Aereo on a chrome tab, casting that tab, and the switching the video to full screen view.

I jumped back and forth between that and the same show on my dish and except for a slight delay, couldn't tell a big difference in the HD picture.

It's not a perfect solution just yet but does work relatively well. If they add a native chromecast app this seems like it could work really well.

Comp1demon

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I cannot get aereo to cast.

I have chromecast connected to my TV and works great with my Phone.

On my desktop the CASH icons in netfglix and youtube work fine.

Using the CAST THIS TAB does not work.

I get the tab on my TV but not the video in the box.

Aereo or any other video I tried, VINE, VIMIEO, A local file on my HDD dropped into a chrome tab, will not cast to my TV.
Chromecast claims that certain codecs like quicktime/silverlight are not supported but if the OP got aereo to cast from a chrome TAB then the rest of us should also be able to as well.

Nothing so far for me.

UPDATE: I installed chromecast extension and chrome browser to my laptop (insiron 17) i7 processor.
Was able to Cast AEREO to my chromecast but it really sucked.
I had to drop the chromecast bit rate options to 480p in order to get no offsync and no jitter of the video - it was like watching a SD tv again.
Not ready for prime-time I would say.

Last edited:

firedfoxd

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chromecast claims that certain codecs like quicktime/silverlight are not supported but if the OP got aereo to cast from a chrome TAB then the rest of us should also be able to as well.

Nothing so far for me.

I don't have an Aereo account. I made this thread to see if it was posible to do it...

I been testing out streaming videos from my desktop and i see what you are saying, some videos wont play and you will see a black screen (some MKVs. i guess it depends how they encoded)
others like AVIs will download to your Download folder and play asap it finish on your player

danknapp76

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not had this problem but it also may depend on your ISP and bandwidth. I currently have the highest speed U-Verse available in my area and it works great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffbbtopnhacai