Clearing download cache?

zuren

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been lurking for a while now and have decided to take the plunge into rooting and a custom ROM. So far everything has gone well thanks to the help of this great forum and new life has been given to this unapologetically old and slow phone!

I have run into one issue and its entirely possible it is something easy I'm missing. I'm having trouble downloading new apps and get an error followed by "(498)". I'm using Link2SD and when looking at my storage space, I noticed that my download cache is nearly maxxed out (see screenshot). I used the cache clearing tools within Link2SD with no luck. Do the other "cache clearing" apps also go after "/cache/download"?

Is my assumption correct that this is my issue (no more room to download anything larger than the free space available) and if so, how do I get it cleared out?

Thank you for the help!

Phone:
LG Optimus V, Harmonia 2.09 ROM, Link2SD, 32GB microSD, SetCPU 806/480 on conservative

Attachments

• screenshot-1380035259297.png
    screenshot-1380035259297.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Been a while since I dabbled in this area but I would grab a good file manager like ES File Explorer or equivelant and look in the /cache/download/ location of the device.. Might even be located in the /system/ or /data/ level of the device which you would have access to being rooted. See whats in there and go from there...

zuren

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Been a while since I dabbled in this area but I would grab a good file manager like ES File Explorer or equivelant and look in the /cache/download/ location of the device.. Might even be located in the /system/ or /data/ level of the device which you would have access to being rooted. See whats in there and go from there...

Thanks for the response. I was using a "File Manager" but switched over to ES File Explorer. Unfortunately the result is the same - I cannot find this /cache/download location anywhere and /cache on the SDcard and on the phone are empty. I'm not sure what to make of this....

I did find a bit more discussion surrounding this topic here but trying to figure out it may mean for me:

[APP][1.6+] Link2SD - Page 334 - xda-developers

I have confirmed that I cannot download any more apps from the Play store. If the app is larger than my /cache/download free space, it fails (example of error - see screenshot). From what I understand, apk files are temporarily stored somewhere for installation of the app, then should be purged afterward. Is this correct? For my phone, it appears they are not being purged. Should I be looking in a different location other than what Link2SD is telling me?

Thanks

Attachments

• screenshot-1380113355617.png
    screenshot-1380113355617.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • screenshot-1380113408400.png
    screenshot-1380113408400.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 21

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I was using a "File Manager" but switched over to ES File Explorer. Unfortunately the result is the same - I cannot find this /cache/download location anywhere and /cache on the SDcard and on the phone are empty. I'm not sure what to make of this....

I did find a bit more discussion surrounding this topic here but trying to figure out it may mean for me:

[APP][1.6+] Link2SD - Page 334 - xda-developers

I have confirmed that I cannot download any more apps from the Play store. If the app is larger than my /cache/download free space, it fails (example of error - see screenshot). From what I understand, apk files are temporarily stored somewhere for installation of the app, then should be purged afterward. Is this correct? For my phone, it appears they are not being purged. Should I be looking in a different location other than what Link2SD is telling me?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!
Did you do a full wipe when you flashed the new ROM?

zuren

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Did you do a full wipe when you flashed the new ROM?

Yes. I followed this set of instructions for rooting and installing a custom ROM....to the letter:

Link
(look at Step 9 - I believe this constitutes a full wipe?)

I'm actually working with 2 Optimus V phones and both lack this /cache/download location.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I followed this set of instructions for rooting and installing a custom ROM....to the letter:

Link
(look at Step 9 - I believe this constitutes a full wipe?)

I'm actually working with 2 Optimus V phones and both lack this /cache/download location.

Thanks!

Can you uninstall an app?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

zuren

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
After some trial and error, I figured out that I had too many apps "moved" to SD card rather than linked via Link2SD. I don't fully have my head around the issue but I have sorted it out and freed up a bunch space.

I continue to not know where the /cache/download location exists. Regardless, I'm back in business. Thanks for the responses!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans