Colors: White Vs. (Black, Red, Plum)

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the black, but I really had to convince myself white wasn't for me. I liked the lighter color of the battery door of the white - almost more of a steel look. I also like the stealth look that the black brings. Other differences are the bezel in front -- lighter more chrome like on the white model - dark chrome color on the black model. The final difference was the finish. The non-white models were a soft-touch finish, while the white was a medium gloss. I almost felt that the quality of the white model felt better with this non-soft touch plastic. However...I was not comparing to a live black one so maybe that caused me to perceive things differently.

Other notes:
Red looked pretty good in photos and videos and I was set on the red...but in person, there was just too much pink in it (I was looking at a dummy model though -- if anyone has seen a live red, please let me know if it resembles the dummy phones or looks better).

Was anyone out there able to pick up anything other than black? My local T-Mobile only had black and plum, customer service via phone only had black (was very surprised at that), and every other retailer seems to only have black as an option (unless you order online...Wirefly orders offered most colors). What are your thoughts on the feel/build of White Vs. the other soft colors?

silverdream

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I am in a Dilemma on the color as well. I like the Red color in photos & videos but I needed to see it in person. I checked with the t-mobile store and they said they wouldnt be able to get one out of the box unless i purchase it. The only demo unit they have is white.

Also i tried checking with them if they can pricematch wirefly/letstalk and they refused :-(

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
^^^ At least ordering thru T-Mobile has a few advantages... Possible easier/quicker service if there are any problems or returns needed. And if you went through Wirefly, t-mo might be hesitant to waive any fees...making the difference in cost closer to $30.

My store had all 4 colors in dummys. I was really disappointed in "red". Definitely don't just order it blind - I'm still hopeful the demo units color was off.. Or maybe the fluorescent lighting in the store had a terrible color rendering index?

Also...you could just purchase the red and return within 14 days if you aren't happy with it.

Last edited:

silverdream

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I was really disappointed in "red". Definitely don't just order it blind - I'm still hopeful the demo units color was off.. Or maybe the fluorescent lighting in the store had a terrible color rendering index?

Thanks for the heads up. I am now inclined towards the black to be safe.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I went for the Black, it was between the white and Black.... I liked the Black a lot more because it doesn't look silly. At least in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I went to the store today set on either red or plum. My store had all 4 dummy units. I echo those that were disappoonted in the red. The plum, however, was better than i expected. The color is really subtle and looks like it belongs on the phone. I love it!

timbo1083

Oct 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
I went with white and it looks great. People are already asking me what it is because it looks so different then all the other black phones. Black would have been second choice though. Not personally into the red/plum

dseiden

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking that I might try the white one but my store only had the black and plum colors. Since only the back was white I ended up with the black one rather than wait for a white one.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The plum, however, was better than i expected. The color is really subtle and looks like it belongs on the phone. I love it!
I agree - plum was really nice looking. I could never bring myself to buy a purple phone, but I do think guys can pull it off since it's such a deep purple.

I was thinking that I might try the white one but my store only had the black and plum colors. Since only the back was white I ended up with the black one rather than wait for a white one.
Kinda how I felt...just got it over with because even when I ended up ordering via Loyalty Department, only black was in stock. Kinda surprising since all of their live models seem to be white -- so they tempt all these people with white, and then most stores only get black in.. I think T-Mobile could have handled this launch better (not allowing pre-orders being one of the reasons I feel that way... very strange that one of their flagship devices was so under-hyped). Anyways...maybe stores will have white in within the 14 days - in that case, if we end up thinking white is the way to go...T-Mobile only charges a $10 restocking fee (compared to all other major carriers and their $35 restocking fee).

Lockeskidney

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i went yesterday to use one (ended up ordering later in the day) and i went with White
mainly because it goes with this:
tumblr_lbbt9ksX1k1qztglu.jpg

i agree with others the red isnt as red as i would imagine. If you are a girl the plum is perfect

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Nice - funny because my car is red and when I was set on red from photos/videos, the thought crossed my mind that it matched the car.

Actually, I may end up with white... Got my email receipt from T-Mobile today and it said I ordered: HTC MYTOUCH 4G WHITE KIT...and rather than express shipping it is being sent overnight (not complaining about that one).

So far...I went from initially wanting red, to settling on black, and end up being shipped a white one possibly. If I do end up receiving a white one, that actually works out better I suppose since I was thinking about white and it would be very easy to swap for a black if that's what I want (since that's all stores had in stock) and I would likely avoid any restocking fees since it was their error...then again it looks like I'll have to ship it out if I want to return...damn..

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
I have the red and love it despite its being covered up by the case that has the removable kickstand. The red does look good shining through the holes tho.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
i agree with others the red isnt as red as i would imagine. If you are a girl the plum is perfect

I don't think gender has anything to do w/ it. I've seen a couple unboxing videos where guys have opted for the plum color. To me, the plum color kinda looks like an oil slick. It changes color a little depending on the light. It's really neat.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
To me, the plum color kinda looks like an oil slick.
Wow....you just made black sound like a girly color with that description! I will never look at purple the same again.

In other news.. mine has arrived! It's not black as I ordered (and they claimed only black was in stock), it's white. But this makes me happy because I still haven't settled on a color, and do like the uniqueness white brings...and if I don't want it -- I'll make sure T-Mobile picks up all associated costs for my exchange since it was their error.

Unfortunately, it had been sitting on my doorstep for long enough to become very cold so I'm still letting it warm to room temp slowly...would hate to end up with a condensation problem or turn it on and have something short out with my luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear