- Good battery life
- Waterproof (optional but preferred)
- Price under $350

Here are some candidates that I found:

1. Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017)
Pros:
* New product, so it's having better specs
Cons:
* Since it's new product, it's pricey than other candidates.
* Having the biggest size (4.7") among other candidates. I'm not sure if it can fit in pocket nicely and comfortably. FYI I'm using Xperia V (4.3") currently.

2. Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Pros:
* Smaller form factor (4.3")
* Older product, so price is cheaper
Cons:
* I worry about xperia build quality, my current xperia v is not that good in term of quality. The battery hatches is already broken in 1 year so the phone had lost the waterproof feature, the screen touch sensor becomes erratic when getting contact with water, the body plastic is easily getting dent, etc. I kinda don't trust xperia anymore and would like to try other brand.

3. Xiaomi redmi 2
Pros:
* Cheapest among all candidates
Cons:
* No waterproof
* 4.7" form factor like galaxy A3

Other candidates that I used to consider:
* Sony xperia Z5 compact
I heard of system update v7.11 issue so I hesitant to consider this phone.
* Samsung galaxy S5 mini
This phone is very difficult to find in my country. No new stock available anymore.
* Huawei Honor 3
This phone is never released in my country.

So which phone that you recommend to buy? Currently I'm leaning toward Galaxy A3, but perhaps you have better recommendation? or is Galaxy A3 already good?

------------

I'm also looking for a cheap android tablet under $350 that have good battery life and decent display. I will mostly use the tablet for video streaming and connect the device to TV.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The Z1 Compact is just too old. I would nix that one. The Compact line has been getting better and better. I had the XZ1 Compact and so much has been improved on.

I have the Galaxy A3 2017 and it's a really nice phone. I would recommend it. Performance is decent, battery life is great, even after Nougat. I would recommend a SD card with it for media because of the 16GB storage. The cameras are still quite good in low light. It's a solid midrange option. It's probably my favorite small Android phone.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The Redmi2 is a very old device. I would definitely not recommend it. I think your best bet is to go with the Galaxy A3 2017.

quody

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I hope that you'll like it!
Just bought it! The screen is very nice and bright. The phone has same width as xperia v, but just a bit taller. The fingerprint scanner is neat and slick. I'm surprised there are no waterproof hatch on the usb-c port and audio jack port whereas in xperia v they have hatches on them. I guess the waterproof tech is getting much improved since then.

My only gripe with the phone so far is the physical home button. As my previous smartphones are all using touch screen home key, pressing physical home button is just feel slow and with the annoying click sound. Not a big dealbreaker but I wish there is a way to make tapping home button to show the home screen. There is "easyHome" app that able to do this, but unfortunately the app is kinda buggy and not working perfectly (probbably because galaxy a3 is not in supported list). Currently I use "Swipe Home Button" app as alternative method to show home screen. Not a perfect solution though since there is recess between home button and the touch screen glass, so swiping it up doesn't feel nicely smooth on the thumb.

Last edited: