Compass app for Galaxy Active 2?

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I received a Galaxy Active 2 watch (Bluetooth only) for Christmas and love it! It is connected to my Note 10+ phone.

Since it has GPS, I'm surprised that there are no built-in map/navigation apps - or at least, I can't find one on the watch or in the Galaxy Wearable app. I'm also looking for a simple compass app.

I've been searching the Galaxy store for compasses and maps but it's really difficult to figure out whether anything I find is what I'm looking for and most of them are paid apps so I don't want to download it in case I don't like it. Can someone please recommend some apps - especially a compass?

Also, if I find something on Google Play (I found one that says it's compatible with all Galaxy devices), how do I know if it works on the watch and is there a way to download it to the watch if it's not in the Galaxy store?

Thanks for your help,.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there happy holidays and congratulations on the excellent gift!
There is an installed free navigation app (i thought) though if not you can find it on the galaxy watch store: "Here Wego". It's a decent map app...
Don't think you're able to download apps from the phone to the watch unless it's through the galaxy store.
And I didn't even consider a compass for the watch... now I am!
So, using the galaxy wearable app on the phone: look under discover to get to the galaxy store then make sure your viewing APPS not Watch Faces; there's at least 10 Free Compass Apps, not free compass watch faces. Hope that assists!
Be aware, your watch may take a battery hit with any compass app as it uses GPS. Makes sure it doesn't stay on in the background!
Good Luck

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for you reply and info. After reading the reviews of the apps on the Samsung site, I learned that the watch (like some phones) relies on GPS to triangulate your position, and therefore the direction you are heading (as opposed to a magnetometer). Know that all these apps must locate you first while you are moving to determine your direction, so it's not like you can just bring up a compass face and see your direction. Anything that would interfere with the watch getting a solid GPS fix would prevent the app from indicating your direction. One developer of one of these "compass" faces explains all this in his support replies to unhappy buyers who were clearly expecting something else; good on him. Just an FYI.

Last edited: