Question Contact App - Large Photos for Personal with Intellectual Disability

Chelrie

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone! My brother has Down syndrome - and also is in the early stages of dementia. He cannot read. However - prior to the dementia he was able to recognize our names and photos in the standard android app. Now - he frequently misdials repetitively calling the wrong person. It really upsets him. And - sometimes he’s trying to call me on the middle of the night to come to his room - and calls family members that don’t live in the same home. His brain doesn’t work as well, his visions is changing and his dexterity is not what it used to be. I’ve searched for hours looking for a phone / contacts app that has very large photos so he is more likely to push the right person. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Solution
I ended up using Dial Direct. The widget solution would’ve worked as well - it’s just that I’m an iPhone user and didn’t want to figure out how to resize an icon. 🤣 thanks y’all!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you use the Google Contacts app, you could add the Individual Contact widget to the homescreen. That widget is 2x2 by default, but you can adjust the size to make it as large as you want (and the contact's profile pic will enlarge along with it).

The only catch is that this widget has two associated smaller buttons within it -- one to make a call, and one to send a text. So your brother would have to be taught to tap the call button within that widget.

Chelrie

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
I ended up using Dial Direct. The widget solution would’ve worked as well - it’s just that I’m an iPhone user and didn’t want to figure out how to resize an icon. 🤣 thanks y’all!

Solution

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you use the Google Contacts app, you could add the Individual Contact widget to the homescreen. That widget is 2x2 by default, but you can adjust the size to make it as large as you want (and the contact's profile pic will enlarge along with it).

The only catch is that this widget has two associated smaller buttons within it -- one to make a call, and one to send a text. So your brother would have to be taught to tap the call button within that widget.
How do you add the 'Individual Contact widget to the homescreen'? And then resize it? :unsure:
I only see the small individual 'Contact', and the small, and 4-contact 'Direct Dial' + 'Direct Message' widget icons — that stay small after they're added to the home/any screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How do you add the 'Individual Contact widget to the homescreen'? And then resize it? :unsure:
I only see the small individual 'Contact', and the small, and 4-contact 'Direct Dial' + 'Direct Message' widget icons — that stay small after they're added to the home/any screen.
Which phone do you have, and what version of Google Contacts is installed? I'm on a Pixel 7 Pro, and the Contacts app is 4.28.25.618005846

When I bring up the Widgets list and scroll down to Contacts, the Contact, Direct Dial, and Direct Message widgets are the first ones I see -- but if I scroll to the right, I also see Favorite Contacts, and finally Individual Contact. Are you able to scroll to the right?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have, and what version of Google Contacts is installed? I'm on a Pixel 7 Pro, and the Contacts app is 4.28.25.618005846

When I bring up the Widgets list and scroll down to Contacts, the Contact, Direct Dial, and Direct Message widgets are the first ones I see -- but if I scroll to the right, I also see Favorite Contacts, and finally Individual Contact. Are you able to scroll to the right?
Oh, I'll check! Thanks. Just need to grab my phone; left it downstairs methinks. ;-)

Reactions: B. Diddy

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

S23+ / UI 6.0 / v.14 / Xfinity Mobile
Contacts version: 15.0.42

No I only have this, with no sideways-ableness. 😕
Probably due to being an XMo version S23+.

Screenshot_20240329_190553_One UI Home.jpg