Could I have bricked my Kindle?

I iz Batmellow

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Think I may have bricked my kindle... and have no recovery to fix it.

I have a kindle fire first generation. I rooted it, and was successful, but I wiped the /system partition in my recovery (TWRP). I didn't know not to because this is the first time I've ever rooted an android. I decided I wanted to put the stock ROM (a pre-rooted version of it I found online) on it again, not because of any errors it had while using the other ROM (Cyanogenmod), I just wanted it to function as a reading device again. TWRP said I was successful in flashing it but clearly I wasn't (or it wasn't downloaded correctly) because it won't boot. I'm stuck at the logo (the one for the original ROM) and I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm no longer able to get to recovery because I can't access my bootloader (firefirefire) and the device doesn't have any built-in recovery. It is recognized as "Kindle Fire" and under that "Android composite ADB interface" in the device manager so I know my drivers are working. I attempted to get firefirefire and TWRP back, but if I try to set fbmode permissions, I get the error message:

-exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory <2> - cd /data/local/temp

And I used this command to do it:
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode

I attempt to run this:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img

and I'm stuck at:
< waiting for device >
I wait a good 15 minutes and open another command prompt. I try to run:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin
but again I'm stuck at waiting for device. I ensure I have these files in my adb folder and I do. I didn't see the point of trying to continue, because everything up to this point has resulted in error.

I heard that kindles are hard to truly brick, but I fear I may have done it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm very new to this. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Think I may have bricked my kindle... and have no recovery to fix it.

At worst it's a soft brick (a hard brick means that no matter what you do, the device acts as if it has no battery, and that can be difficult to fix). Go to XDA and see if someone there has a solution. Some of the people there know these devices at least as well as the people who designed them.