Curved screen only? Why not flat option?

Jun 29, 2018
Visit site
I am having a hard time finding a good screen protector for my S9+ and the most approved one cost around 60$$ at this moment. I would change my curved screen for a flat screen any day at any time.

Reasons why Flat Screens are better:

1. Stronger structure.
2. Cheaper to make=better ending price.
3. More secure in the hand.
4. Easier to hold in hand for photos.
5. More confortable to use.
6. Useful screen protectors.
7. Better chance to survive a down fall.
8. Wont touch the screen just by trying to hold it.
9. More real usable screen area.

Actually curved screens is not practical, its just fashionable. Not all of us are that kind of buyers. :(:(

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they just want to use it as a differentiator to Apple. Personally don't like it and would have been even a much better phone with the flat screen.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Considering they went with the 'Infinity Display' motif with the Galaxy S8 and Note 8 what with the front and back glass curved in such a way that it creates a weird seamless feel in the hand, I'm not surprised. I used to hate it but grew to like it over time.

Only real downside is that most tempered glass protectors won't fit due to not having the adhesive on the flat portion and just on the curved edges. I really hate using plastic film and while that liquid glass stuff that's been going around lately looks interesting, I'd only really use it for the back glass anyways and even that's mostly to prevent microscratching.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I got the buy one get one free offer from tmob. Ended up with a s8 active and a 9plus. The S8 active is the best flat screen phone I have used.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having a hard time finding a good screen protector for my S9+ and the most approved one cost around 60$$ at this moment. I would change my curved screen for a flat screen any day at any time.

Reasons why Flat Screens are better:

1. Stronger structure.
2. Cheaper to make=better ending price.
3. More secure in the hand.
4. Easier to hold in hand for photos.
5. More confortable to use.
6. Useful screen protectors.
7. Better chance to survive a down fall.
8. Wont touch the screen just by trying to hold it.
9. More real usable screen area.

Actually curved screens is not practical, its just fashionable. Not all of us are that kind of buyers. :(:(

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a flat screen on my Galaxy Alpha with the glass protectors and that is a rugged little phone.

I love the S9 but even more if flat screen for durability.

I am lobbying for S10 Pro as I have said . with 4000 MAH battery and flat screen would be nice but Samsung will probably need to use same parts in different versions...for a premium version...so can't ask for too much because Samsung will only do it if demand is there.

For Business Class- Architects Designers Artists, Athletes ,Doctors , Police etc. who don't want a larger phone ...a thicker S10 [ same dimensions as S9 but slighly thicker to accomodate battery from S8 S9 Active ]-
A flat screen DOES make sense...

Will you pay 100 to 150 more for 4000 Mah and flat screen 6 Gigs RAM ?

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the point is, as previously mentioned, the curve seems to be an aesthetics thing that really does not serve a very useful purpose...and having more durability with a flat screen model would be my preference as well...

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the point is, as previously mentioned, the curve seems to be an aesthetics thing that really does not serve a very useful purpose...and having more durability with a flat screen model would be my preference as well...

Samsung started the whole curved display with the Note Edge. With that phone, the edge panel actually had a separate function/display in it where a phone call would appear on that panel and you could answer it without exiting out of what you were doing. Music could be controlled in that panel while doing something in the main screen without exiting that app. In the camera app, what you were taking a picture of would appear in the main screen and the camera controls were in the edge panel.

When they made the first S series with the edge panel, that functionality disappeared and I've never used any of the so called edge panel functions ever since. To me, they don't really do anything useful like what you could do on the original Note Edge that had a read edge panel.

Today, my current Samsung phone is a Note 8 and again, I don't ever use any of the so called edge panels that they include. I've completely disabled the little handles that you would use to drag in an edge panel. Try using the Notes pen while close to the edge and see what happens.

I'll buy either the next S series or Note that comes out but unless they change something, I just try and pretend the curved edges don't exist.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I would prefer a flat screen myself, but I haven't had too many issues with the curved aspect as of late. My only concern is how it might matter if I drop the phone a wrong way! Luckily, it seems my case is able to take that into consideration, if only just slightly.