Daydream use in bed?

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So last night, I had this idea while my wife watched HGTV. Let's load up Netflix on Daydream View and enjoy a super immersive big screen experience.

It looked super cool. The problem I had though is that there is seemingly no way to lie down and look at the screen. The system wants you to be looking forward.

I was able to get YouTube VR to work by moving the screen around, but no other apps. Everything else wanted me to sit up.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is there some setting I missed?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Netflix should let you change the orientation, but I'll admit I only tried it briefly and couldn't get it to work. It's the same version that the Gear VR uses. You look up at the cieling in the app and there is a "icon" you can click on that and it should let you move the screen. But like I said, I tried it a single time when if first came out and no luck.

I've just been using my old Note 5 in the Gear VR for Netflix.. It's awesome watching Netflix laying down.

MAK-VA

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I looked up and clicked on the star-thing on the ceiling, and when I got the new screen view, clicked on the steering wheel in the upper right. When that wheel was clicked, I could gradually rotate the view so it worked while I was laying down. When I was happy where the view was (took a few tweaks to account for the pillow) I clicked the steering wheel again and it locked in.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I looked up and clicked on the star-thing on the ceiling, and when I got the new screen view, clicked on the steering wheel in the upper right. When that wheel was clicked, I could gradually rotate the view so it worked while I was laying down. When I was happy where the view was (took a few tweaks to account for the pillow) I clicked the steering wheel again and it locked in.
Nice! Just did that myself. It totally acts different then the Gear VR Netflix app even though they look the same.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
So last night, I had this idea while my wife watched HGTV. Let's load up Netflix on Daydream View and enjoy a super immersive big screen experience.

It looked super cool. The problem I had though is that there is seemingly no way to lie down and look at the screen. The system wants you to be looking forward.

I was able to get YouTube VR to work by moving the screen around, but no other apps. Everything else wanted me to sit up.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is there some setting I missed?

Click the chandelier when you look up.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried this exactly (laying on my back and looking straight up) but generally speaking you are supposed to point the remote "straight ahead" and hold the bottom button for a few seconds to re-center the screen.

It seems like that should work in this case by laying on your back and pointing the remote straight up towards the ceiling. Yes? No?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried this exactly (laying on my back and looking straight up) but generally speaking you are supposed to point the remote "straight ahead" and hold the bottom button for a few seconds to re-center the screen.

It seems like that should work in this case by laying on your back and pointing the remote straight up towards the ceiling. Yes? No?
Didn't with for Google play movies, but sure about other stuff

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

It centers on the left/right axis, but not the up/down.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

That doesn't work. It uses compass to know which way is up.

Nesquik

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
They should definitely update it so we could lie down and watch -- i haven't even thought of doing this would be fantastic!

Federico Atristain

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
They should definitely update it so we could lie down and watch -- i haven't even thought of doing this would be fantastic!

SOLUTION:
1) Click on the chandelier on the ceiling
2) Select the steering wheel on the upper right
3) Position the screen using the "clicker" top button
4) Get off by going the steering wheel again

NOTE:
Selecting the couch instead of the steering wheel returns you to the original Netflix couch, and selecting the square with the arrows brings the screen closer or pushes it farther as you rub your thumb up or down the top button of the clicker once you select the square.