Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Interesting to note the Pixel 4 doesn't allow me to install daydream app or any vr apps at all. Looks like it is not compatible with VR. Luckily I am keeping my P2XL so will be able to still use my daydream headset with that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This is actually quite disappointing. Not that they are discontinuing their efforts with Daydream VR, but that they made the decision to specifically prevent Pixel 4 from using it. For a moment I considered that possibly the 90Hz display might be a complication with it, but the phone could easily be forced into 60Hz when VR mode were activated.

Active prevention of using a prior product with one which would be compatible if not for that tactic is a pretty petty move on Google's part - and in my case, isn't tipping my decision (which is pretty close on the line between keeping my 3 XL and going to a 4 XL) the way Google would want.

I'm not a big Daydream user, but I do still have mine and use it when on long flights.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yup, VR is dead on mobile platforms. You're better off just picking up an Oculus Go. I still have my Pixel 2XL for Daydream but would rather use my Samsung S9+ with my Samsung Gear VR headset. I plan to pickup an Oculus Go during the holidays as it does seem like a more ideal device for VR.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I quite enjoyed using mine. Not that I used it often but the teenagers love messing around on it. We have 3 Pixel 2XLs in the house so we can still use it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is actually quite disappointing. Not that they are discontinuing their efforts with Daydream VR, but that they made the decision to specifically prevent Pixel 4 from using it. For a moment I considered that possibly the 90Hz display might be a complication with it, but the phone could easily be forced into 60Hz when VR mode were activated.

Active prevention of using a prior product with one which would be compatible if not for that tactic is a pretty petty move on Google's part - and in my case, isn't tipping my decision (which is pretty close on the line between keeping my 3 XL and going to a 4 XL) the way Google would want.

I'm not a big Daydream user, but I do still have mine and use it when on long flights.
I would think the higher frequency would be an assett

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup, VR is dead on mobile platforms. You're better off just picking up an Oculus Go. I still have my Pixel 2XL for Daydream but would rather use my Samsung S9+ with my Samsung Gear VR headset. I plan to pickup an Oculus Go during the holidays as it does seem like a more ideal device for VR.
I agree.... For me a phone doubling as VR might be convenient and less expensive but it also generated a lot of heat and was quirky at times.
My S10+ still works but Note 10+ doesn't.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Does Cardboard still work on the Pixel 4?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I would think the higher frequency would be an assett

I would as well.

Found this in an old Digital Trends article:

According to Google’s official Daydream specifications, any phone with at least a 1080p display between 4.7 and 6 inches in size qualifies. It must support a refresh rate of at least 60 Hz, however, and a “low-persistence” mode. It also must have at least two physical processor cores, one of which must be assigned exclusively to the Daydream app.

Perhaps the 4's don't support low persistence?

If it's not a matter of actual compatibility and compliance with the specs, it's a slap in the face of those who favored Daydream.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If it's not a matter of actual compatibility and compliance with the specs, it's a slap in the face of those who favored Daydream.

Not really a slap in the face. Content is not really there as well as the demand. It makes sense for Google to drop it rather than waste resources trying to up keep a system that only a handful of people even use. And the people who do use it only use it for the free content. I doubt anyone spent any real money on VR content.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not really a slap in the face. Content is not really there as well as the demand. It makes sense for Google to drop it rather than waste resources trying to up keep a system that only a handful of people even use. And the people who do use it only use it for the free content. I doubt anyone spent any real money on VR content.
Well perhaps if they had made it a better experience it would have grown better legs. Daydream was better than cardboard, Gear was better than Daydream but all round I thought it was a quirky experience at times and certainly not perfected.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well perhaps if they had made it a better experience it would have grown better legs. Daydream was better than cardboard, Gear was better than Daydream but all round I thought it was a quirky experience at times and certainly not perfected.
True, out the gate it lacked a lot which is why I always stuck with Gear VR. Since Oculus ran Gear VR it was definitely a more robust platform. Google took forever to even have browser support on Daydream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kara4151