Devastated, S-notes from Note 3 NOT compatible with Note 10.1

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^ While some DVD's my look great upconverted to near HD quality they are definitely NOT Blu ray quality. As for a BR disc playing in a DVD it is not going to happen due to HARDWARE differences. It has to do with the laser in the player. As for the S Note incompatibility, all the hardware differences do not matter so it comes down to a software update which surely Samsung is fully aware of and is capable of fixing in such update. I have the Note 2 phone and the Note 8 tablet and will not be getting the Note 3 until full compatibility with the S Notes with all the Note devices occur. Samsung knows they did wrong with this issue.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Just that it's wrong to assume something will be compatible with older stuff just because you want it to be. He says the product was advertised specifically as backwards-compatible; I have yet to see such advertisement. Yes, there's obviously not one that says that it's not, but if it's a new software with a newer file format it's sort of implied. BluRays and DVDs look alike and you can't expect a BR to work on a DVD player, right?

While I completely agree with your assessment of the situation, your last lost came across as a bit hostile. The poster paid upwards around $600 for a piece of hardware he expected to perform needed tasks and learned that it didn't come through. Given that there was no disclosure from Samsung that it wouldn't, I think he's earned his right to vent about it. Don't you?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But there IS disclosure! We just don't care to read about the specs and go through manuals anymore (myself included, I just assume I'll get the hang of it and don't read the booklets). If you read the specs, you can clearly see that the new S-Note DOES say it uses a different format than older S-Notes. Not hostile, only trying to be fair to a great device being demoted because of an assumed feature that's really not all that reasonable. Again, new tech, new devices...you can't expect everything to be compatible. And to the post that says that this is software and not hardware related, I have to disagree a bit. Yes, S-Note is a piece of software, but just because it is it doesn't mean it can be made to run on older hardware, no matter how impressive it was back then and even compared to current devices out there. I do agree that it COULD be made to work with the Note 2, but as to how smooth that would be, that's still to be seen (and let's face it, Samsung DOES have problems with laggy software as it is).

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But there IS disclosure! We just don't care to read about the specs and go through manuals anymore (myself included, I just assume I'll get the hang of it and don't read the booklets). If you read the specs, you can clearly see that the new S-Note DOES say it uses a different format than older S-Notes. Not hostile, only trying to be fair to a great device being demoted because of an assumed feature that's really not all that reasonable. Again, new tech, new devices...you can't expect everything to be compatible. And to the post that says that this is software and not hardware related, I have to disagree a bit. Yes, S-Note is a piece of software, but just because it is it doesn't mean it can be made to run on older hardware, no matter how impressive it was back then and even compared to current devices out there. I do agree that it COULD be made to work with the Note 2, but as to how smooth that would be, that's still to be seen (and let's face it, Samsung DOES have problems with laggy software as it is).

Disclosure? Where? I first read about it on here from another user. I read the manual a couple of times (European version as the United States manual wasn't posted until AFTER the Note 3 launched in the states) Nowhere was there anything about the file formats. Here's what Samsung chat had to say about the ability to sync the Note 3 to my tablet.

Robin C: Thanks for holding.
Jeri : It's okay! I appreciate getting the information.
Robin C: 1. Press and hold on a note or a folder
Robin C: 2. Select Sync from the menu
Robin C: 3. Select Google Docs
Robin C: 4. Log into Google Docs (if you don't have google docs, then create one).
Robin C: 5. Go to your Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and open your S Note app.
Robin C: 6. On the Drop down menu after the + sign on the top right hand corner, select Sync
Robin C: 7. Select Google Docs and log in.
Robin C: 8. You will see your Notes or folder import.
When I got on chat again to say it didn't work, all I got was so sorry for the inconvenience. While I do think it's a great phone, the S-note, the headline feature, has actually been dumbed down. They took away features. Oh wait, they did add the ability to make fantastic pie charts. Just what a majority of users want, no doubt! I buy the Note family for one thing, S-notes. So, yeah, I feel I have the right to be annoyed at Samsung. Frankly, I'd trade them the golf shot photo choice, scrapbooking, my magazine and more if I could just get the Note 2 S-note app on my 3.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not the best of options, but you could sync your Note 3's notes with your Evernote account and open those in your Note 2 with Evernote, not S-Note. If you install the handwriting option for Evernote you should be able to edit them in other devices and have those changes sync back to the Note 3.

BTW, I DO agree that S-Note was dumbed down. I liked it better in the past, even if this new version seems speedier and has new features (that I don't really use that much, but I must admit I have used them).

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not the best of options, but you could sync your Note 3's notes with your Evernote account and open those in your Note 2 with Evernote, not S-Note. If you install the handwriting option for Evernote you should be able to edit them in other devices and have those changes sync back to the Note 3.

BTW, I DO agree that S-Note was dumbed down. I liked it better in the past, even if this new version seems speedier and has new features (that I don't really use that much, but I must admit I have used them).
Gosh, I don't think I've tried Evernote since I got my first note. Before I go through all the editing of accounts and trying very hard to NOT end up with more locked S-notes on my 10.1, let me be sure I understand what you're saying I could do...... I can sync S-notes from Note 3 to my evernote account and then sync my tablet Note 10.1 and open them with Evernote with the handwriting option , edit them, send them back to the Note 3, edit them, and back again to the 10.1??? I sure hope I understand you correctly and that works!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I've been doing it with the Note 3, Note 10.1 2014, and an S3 (actually I just used the S3 to see if I could do it, it's not even mine hehe). In the S-Note settings on the Note 3 you should see the option to sync with your Samsung Account or with Evernote; just choose the latter. However, you will only see the notes in Evernote, not the folder structure if you have them organized in S-Note.

The only place I couldn't get it to work was on an iPad. It only opened the notes in Evernote as images, not editable notes, although it did give me the option to download the file and try to open it in another app.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I've been doing it with the Note 3, Note 10.1 2014, and an S3 (actually I just used the S3 to see if I could do it, it's not even mine hehe). In the S-Note settings on the Note 3 you should see the option to sync with your Samsung Account or with Evernote; just choose the latter. However, you will only see the notes in Evernote, not the folder structure if you have them organized in S-Note.

The only place I couldn't get it to work was on an iPad. It only opened the notes in Evernote as images, not editable notes, although it did give me the option to download the file and try to open it in another app.
Not sure what I did wrong. I have an S=note from my Note 3 in evernote. I can see it with the 10.1 but it's in jpg format when I click on it even though at the top of it, it says attachment it has the S-note filename with .spd after it. Plus, I'm not sure what you mean by the handwriting option. Where would I find that? I feel like I must be close but I can't figure out how to write on the S-note. Thanks for your help with this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm... I think the 'hand writing option' for Evernote is called Stitch... or something like that. I don't know why they did that, but yeah, they separated the apps for some reason. The JPEG is just the way I see it on my iPad, with the attachment next to it. But I remember downloading that handwriting option and having it work. I may also have downloaded the Evernote app from the Samsung store and not Play Store, so maybe that's also different.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mmmm... I think the 'hand writing option' for Evernote is called Stitch... or something like that. I don't know why they did that, but yeah, they separated the apps for some reason. The JPEG is just the way I see it on my iPad, with the attachment next to it. But I remember downloading that handwriting option and having it work. I may also have downloaded the Evernote app from the Samsung store and not Play Store, so maybe that's also different.
It opens as a jpg on my 10.1. I went back and looked and you have the new 10.1. That must be the difference. Since you have the newer Notes all around, the 3 and the 2014 10.1 you can probably sync and write on them with drop box and others too. I'll try the evernote stitch, I did see it, thought it was an art program. Just tried it, don't see a way to write on my S-note in the evernote cloud though. I can use it (called Skitch by the way) to write and annotate pdf files but I can do that a couple of ways on my Notes without Skitch. I see a pen on Evernote but it's grayed out. I don't think this is going to work for S-notes going back and forth between my Notes but thanks for trying.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I do own the newer Note, but I tried it on a Note 2 (not mine though, that's why I can't check anymore). The sync between S-Note AND Evernote in the Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 is, yes, automatic and transparent with no add-ons.

Muhammad Khalaf

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I have a different problem but I don't know where to go..plz help me..
I can't scroll down on S note application..I just bought Note 3 and when i write a note,the page is only the screen's size! my only option to continue is to add another page! I just want to scroll down and keep writing on the same page!
thank you very much in advance.. I'm new to this site and i found you well informed..plz help me with this issue..thx again..

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I have a different problem but I don't know where to go..plz help me..
I can't scroll down on S note application..I just bought Note 3 and when i write a note,the page is only the screen's size! my only option to continue is to add another page! I just want to scroll down and keep writing on the same page!
thank you very much in advance.. I'm new to this site and i found you well informed..plz help me with this issue..thx again..

I am new too and I think you have no option but create page 2 etc

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to the heads up from al_sen on the incompatibility issue, I turned to Samsung support for advice. I have 4 pages of transcript if anyone wants the full horror story, but the synopsis is, Samsung has screwed us Note 10.1 users. The new Note 3 indeed uses a different format for S-notes. Tablet help person understood how wrong that is, it makes the S-notes on the Note 3 useless for sharing information to another device if any further editing is desired. (you can share as jpg etc.) When I asked him about Note 2 compatibility, he transferred me to the phone chat and that was somewhere in the Twilight Zone. He said S-notes were internal documents not meant to be shared between devices. I fibbed and told him I'd been doing it with my Note 1 and 10.1 when I really just found out I could email them, download them on each other and they could be opened and edited. I figured I'd wait for the Note 3 to figure out how to do it more eloquently than that. Anyway, after a long hold, he came back and S-notes from the 3 can be read by Note 2's but not the 10.1's. It wasn't clear whether that was read only, or if they would be editable.

Then he said it would take a samsung account to sync them and then they could be shared. I told him I did have that set up and asked him if that meant the Note 3's S-notes would then be compatible, he said I would have to wait until the Note 3 was released in the U.S. to find out. I told him the Note 3 was being used in 140 countries already, I gave him the model number on the manual that preach2k nicely provided. He said I would have to wait for the U.S. Version to be released because models are different.

Can you even begin to understand how unhappy I am? He apologized for the inconvenience and at that point I gave up. I have canceled the Note 3 and at some point will get a Note 2, after I'm done crying. :'(

(thanks much to al_sen and to preach2k, the information on the post about the S-note formats and having the manual at hand gave me valuable information so I could make sure the tech people knew what I was asking about) :-*

Doesn't the Note 10.1 2014 edition work with the Note 3? I know that my Note 3 and Note 8 use different versions of the S-note. I tried to bring up what I saved in the Note 3 into the Note 8 and it did not work. I did notice that the 2014 version of the Note 10.1 shared the same app as the Note 3 so, maybe that would work.

Phil Gibson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Someone in this post mentioned Lecture Notes - I wholeheartedly agree. The main problem I find with apps that come pre-loaded to any device is the slowness or lack of updates. Lecture Notes is a very good app and is compatible with all the Note devices. I've been using it for a couple of months now mainly because of the S-Note compatibility issue - got the original Note 10.1 & ye olde Note 1 phone but upgrading to Note 3 when the contract ends. I'd encourage anyone who uses S Note a lot to give Lecture Notes a try.

Phil

HLMeltonSr

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
This is not true, I did not read your entire article, but I did back up my notes from 10.1 and can view them on my Note 3. If you create a Samsung account and sync the S notes, you can use them on both devices

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This is not true, I did not read your entire article, but I did back up my notes from 10.1 and can view them on my Note 3. If you create a Samsung account and sync the S notes, you can use them on both devices

Depends what 10.1 tablet you have. As I understand it 2012 versions used similar S-Notes to the Note 2, and there was a lot of kerfuffle about the Note 2 to Note 3 S-Notes incompatibility issue.

Posted via Android Central App