DEX Samsung Keyboard Shortcuts Interfering With Spacebar

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been loving my Dex workstation in my office and home using a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo, but immediately noticed I was frequently pressing the space bar but the space (character) would not appear on the screen.

This causes me to have to backspace often. Not only does my "space" NOT appear on the screen, but I noticed an "English (US)" message would flash breifly on the bottom of the screen.

After further investigation, I discovered that

1) The Dex system FORCES you to use the Samsung keyboard, so changing to another keyboard isn't an option while using Dex and
2) More importantly, the Samsung keyboard uses "Shift+Space" as a shortcut combination to change to an other input language if so desired. In other words, Samsung has hijacked this key combination and there is no way around it as far as I can see. Since I only have US English installed, it only displays the message "US (English)" for a split second rather than offer me a choice to change to another language. This makes it more difficult to diagnose this "disappearing space" issue, but I am now sure this is what is going on. In settings, you can see all the keyboard shortcut combinations, but it will not let you reassign them.

I theoretically should be able to hold the shift key AND the space together -- and get a SPACE! Unfortunately, this is interfering with my Dex experience immensely.

Would be nice if we could delete or change this assignment so it wouldn't interfere with combinations that are normally used while typing. An online search proves I am not alone.

Hoping for a solution. Until then, my "space bar" keypresses will continue to go to the bit bucket.

Last edited:

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It is. When you add up all the little "broken" or "annyong" issues, you start to get the feeling that the Dex software is "beta" code. Steve Jobs would never have let this software out of the building and the project manager would have paid a heavy price.

Bug happen. But to make matter worse, I don't see updates being released and things being fixed. It's as though it is already orphaned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe