Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
It's only on the unlocked version. Carriers have their own call screening. The unlocked Samsung version was pretty good. I believe it was powered by hiya.
Yeah I have the unlocked version and I agree it's very good. I was contemplating getting the ATT branded variant but that's another reason not to.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is on the tmobile version or the unlocked?

Unlocked.

Going back to my S7 Edge, it was also unlocked and I also had a T-Mobile S7 edge. The unlocked version always got much faster speeds on it as well. I don't have a T-Mobile S8+ to compare with my unlocked S8+ so I can't compare the two but I would be surprised to find out the unlocked is faster as well.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't own the S8 if it wasn't unlocked. I need a compelling reason to get a carrier-branded device, and getting a security update sooner ain't it.

On my 3rd provider with my S8. I can't really put a price on that flexibility.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Coral Blue unlocked S8+ from Best Buy today. It was $675. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that it does not have the updated navigation bar and there was no software update after I set it up.

TheRewardisCheese

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Coral Blue unlocked S8+ from Best Buy today. It was $675. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that it does not have the updated navigation bar and there was no software update after I set it up.

Yep just picked up a Midnight Black S8+ at BestBuy today. They are having a sale.....$574.99 for the S8 and $674.99 for the S8+. Not a bad deal at all.

I too am hoping for the update that enables the ability to make the nav bar disappear. Just had the international S8 a few days ago and had that ability, but the lack of Samsung Pay and some other things are why I switched to the U.S. unlocked version.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Yep just picked up a Midnight Black S8+ at BestBuy today. They are having a sale.....$574.99 for the S8 and $674.99 for the S8+. Not a bad deal at all.

I too am hoping for the update that enables the ability to make the nav bar disappear. Just had the international S8 a few days ago and had that ability, but the lack of Samsung Pay and some other things are why I switched to the U.S. unlocked version.

I found a fix for the Nav Bar. Works like a champ.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...re-screen-real-estate-no-root-needed-0177297/

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Can any with the unlocked version on T-Mobile tell me if you have Mobile Hotspot, and if it works? Im about to flash the unlocked version and thats the only thing I cant find an answer on.

Brian White3

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Great. I think the two things I’m looking for is smoother and less bloat :)

I bought two factory unlocked S8 units on the Samsung website last week during the BOGO promotion. Selling one in the box to bring down the cost of the phone one 😁 and I can confirm both WiFi calling and VoLTE work great or of the box on T-Mo. On the June 1 patch as well. I am also seeing a lot of Band 2 in my area now where I never saw that before. the top mavbar also indicates "LTE+" a lot now and my speed Hoover around 80-100 Mbps. Very nice! No carrier bloat for me, and I'll take lagging updates for that. Love this phone.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Now that the T-Mobile app finally unlocked my device, Ive flashed back to the unlocked software. The smart call feature is so much nicer than 3rd party apps. Bloat never bothered me because of Package Disabler but it is nice to not have alot to add to it. I'll be monitoring the cell signal since that was a problem I had with the unlocked version before.

Its nice being able to flash back and forth between variants so easily.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually flashed my sprint S8 to stock so that it appears that I bought it directly from Samsung unlocked and carrier branding free. I could not stand having the sprint bloat ware and the sprint start up screen. It actually worked too. I had just gotten the latest update from sprint about the nav bar and when I flashed it it took that update away from me which I just received it back yesterday. I love having an unlocked branded free phone. Much better and more space out of the box. I just for such a good deal from sprint that I initially went with them but I knew I'd be flashing sprint off my phone. So now I've got a totally unlocked carrier free just like I bought it from Samsung phone but in an arctic silver color which I believe this combo can't be had this way if you buy directly from Samsung. I'm super stoked about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucike8