Did I get a real Poetic Slimline case? How to tell which is the current version?

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I ordered three Poetic cases from Amazon. All sold by Smart Shop Online, but fulfilled by Amazon. The Slimbook and Strapback (each $4.95) came in retail boxes. The Slimline ($12.95) came in a plastic bag. That seems strange, but all 3 came from the same seller, so maybe that's not an indication of anything.

The Slimline fit was fine and the case seems at least decent. But it has a major difference from the cases I'm seeing in review videos and in the Amazon ad. Mine has two magnets while the others have three magnets.

Is this a new version? Old version? Not a genuine Poetic case?

Thanks

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I did some more digging and found a thread that talked about the new cases having 2 magnets where the originals had 3 magnets. So, it looks like the new one but it seems strange that it wasn't in a retail package...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I did some more digging and found a thread that talked about the new cases having 2 magnets where the originals had 3 magnets. So, it looks like the new one but it seems strange that it wasn't in a retail package...

The 'final' edition has 2 magnets, so yes, you're good on that front. And they've always shipped the slimline for the N7's in a plastic liner rather than a retail 'box' packaging - nothing to be concerned about there.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering how the cases fit overall? I know that isnt the purpose of your posting, but was wondering if you liked them or how they fit? My Nexus 7 is naked at the moment and I am looking at cases, just dont want to spend a fortune.

Thanks

I have the Poetic Slimline, and the fit is excellent. No risk of the tablet coming out. It's tight enough that I wouldn't suggest planning to take it out & put it back in regularly. Not that it's THAT hard to get out, but hard enough it'd be a pain to do on a regular basis. Excellent case.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure mine have always come in just the plastic. Maybe they have some done up for retail, but ship most amazon orders just plastic. *shrug*

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've actually gone back to my 'first' run Poetic case... The magnets are considerably stronger, making the stand function much more stable, and I haven't had any issues with it triggering the sleep function when folded back. Having tried the Poetic, Moko, and rooCASE Origami, imo the Poetic is far away the best of the three in terms of fit, feel, and finish (the rooCASE 'Origami' vertical stand function was appealing, but just never worked very well for me).

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting the new Poetic Covermate Slimline case with the antique flag look. I love this case, very very slim and light (even slimmer than the "leather feel" slimline), cover folds back well, back has an almost soft touch feel, and magnetic catches for propping it up (similar to the Moko case). Well done.