Did you trade?

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Verizon's giving me $1,000 for my S20+ (but that's allocated as account credit over 36 months, if I pay it off early I lose any credit not yet applied, so....)

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Sprint/T-Mobile. I'm trading in my Note 9 and I'm getting $800 off a 512GB S22 Ultra. That $800 discount comes by way of 24 monthly credits of $33.34/mo., and I will be paying the remaining $500 by 24 monthly payments of $20.83/mo. So I'm sort of locked in for two years, but I'm keeping my same plan. Not adding a new line.

Sprint's web site did not work for me to get this deal. Then I got on their chat service with two reps who tried to walk me through it on the web site, but that also didn't work (either I had to log in and the web site did not give a trade-in option, or if I didn't log in and chose the trade-in option it assumed I was adding a new line). I had to get on the phone with Sprint sales for about 50 minutes but got it done. Going to a T-Mobile store might also have worked.

For others on my family plan I asked what the trade-in value would be for an S8+ or an S9+, and they said only $400 for each of those.

The rep told me I could also get a Samsung 4 watch for free, but I would have to pay $10/month subscription. (?) I passed on that, not interested in a watch.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes S21 plus and G flip 3, so I got the Ultra for $350. I didn't mind giving u the S21 plus, but I hated giving up the z flip 3. Could've got more for the z flip on swappa. But decided to skip the hassle of listing it etc

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As you might have seen in my post above, Samsung.com gave my Husband 250.00 for his s10+. It's immaculate, not that it seems to help for trade-in. Best Buy offered 300.00.

Maybe you experienced at glitch at Samsung.ca. Seems to be a lot of those floating around...unfortunately.

Yes, I saw that! I was merely curious if I would get anything for my S10. I'll try again! Thank you!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's odd... Samsung UK offer £330 for my S10e and £370 (about 640 CAD) for the S10. I'd definitely double check if you're ordering.

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you, I'll check again. I'll stick with my Pixel 5 but I was curious as to what I'd get for my S10 if I were to trade.

Najo

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I traded my Note 20 for $600, and my Note 10 for $400 and have the military discount. $277 for the 512 S22 Ultra with $250 in store credit. Not a bad deal.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung only offered $620 for my S21 Ultra 256gb for an S22+. If I ordered the S22 ultra, it would be $700. I ordered the plus so I'll be selling my S21 Ultra since I still owe $800 on it.

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I found an S7 on craigslist for $45. AT&T is giving me $800 credit for it. Samsung will only give me $500 credit for my S20 Ultra. I went with AT&T where I get more credit and still have my S20 Ultra as a back up or to sell outright.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We always trade in and buy our phones out right so our cell phone bill isn't any higher. We sometimes do Best Buy or Samsung. We don't really need the accessory credit from Samsung and would rather have a $200 BB gift card to get cases and screen protector. Best Buy told me I could pre-order than give my husband my $200 gift card then he could pre-order after me and use my gift card and we could still use his for accessories. But they are only giving 575 unless we buy through them and trade into Verizon we will get $700 and we can put down as much as we want extra but be on 36 months to get the $700.. Not sure if it's worth it but I can pay 200 for me and 100 for him leaving a 300 balance for 3 years and it's only 8 something a month. I hate that it's 36 months now. So doing it that way are you stuck with your phone for 36 months? That is why I like to buy outright nut Best Buy just told me their all sold out anyway.

Not even sure if it's worth upgrading from the S21 Ultra I mean we love our phones have the pen but hardly use it but husband said he uses a notepad at work and it would be handy to have this phone. I love the green and the Burgundy we have 512 now and would want 512 again which they say they only make so many of and that is why it's sold out. I hate going through Samsung they tried lying and screwing me over when I traded in my watch and sent me a picutre of a different watch and said I didn't qualify for the full amount.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
You aren't forced to keep your phone for 36 months, but if you upgrade early, the bill credits dissappear and you have to pay off what you "owe" aka the amount they would have credited you over the course of your monthly bills...

That's why we started buying from Samsung with the Note 20 Ultras. I had to pay off our Note 9s. But now I own my phone, and Verizon doesn't have anything hanging over my head.

I love the feeling of freedom that I can jump to another carrier whenever I want. With that said, I have had Verizon for 22+ years, and I love the service so I'm not going anywhere - but I could if I want...

And if I had those bill credits I would have to pay this Note20 Ultra off out of pocket before I could trade it for my new S22 Ultra.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to add that I also like the freedom of having an unlocked phone - but that's really just in my head; because you can always flash carrier or unlocked firmware any time... I just prefer unlocked and I never have to flash anything

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to add that I also like the freedom of having an unlocked phone - but that's really just in my head; because you can always flash carrier or unlocked firmware any time... I just prefer unlocked and I never have to flash anything

We used to do unlocked and our S10 + was unlocked but had hardware problems and signal sucked with Sprint and verizon husband had to get a new motherboard and his was better but lots of the S10 + had problems. I knew once we switched to Verizon we were staying with them so we did Verizon ones this time. But since the Note 8 we've just traded in and paid the difference and owned our phones right away which is what I like doing. But we do love ours 21 ultras and don't really need to upgrade but I liked Best Buy's deal of 200 gc and being able to use one towards one of the phones.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
We always trade in and buy our phones out right so our cell phone bill isn't any higher. We sometimes do Best Buy or Samsung. We don't really need the accessory credit from Samsung and would rather have a $200 BB gift card to get cases and screen protector. Best Buy told me I could pre-order than give my husband my $200 gift card then he could pre-order after me and use my gift card and we could still use his for accessories. But they are only giving 575 unless we buy through them and trade into Verizon we will get $700 and we can put down as much as we want extra but be on 36 months to get the $700.. Not sure if it's worth it but I can pay 200 for me and 100 for him leaving a 300 balance for 3 years and it's only 8 something a month. I hate that it's 36 months now. So doing it that way are you stuck with your phone for 36 months? That is why I like to buy outright nut Best Buy just told me their all sold out anyway.

Not even sure if it's worth upgrading from the S21 Ultra I mean we love our phones have the pen but hardly use it but husband said he uses a notepad at work and it would be handy to have this phone. I love the green and the Burgundy we have 512 now and would want 512 again which they say they only make so many of and that is why it's sold out. I hate going through Samsung they tried lying and screwing me over when I traded in my watch and sent me a picutre of a different watch and said I didn't qualify for the full amount.

I'm keeping the S21 ultra. Unless you are one of the people who really love the S-pen, I don't see anything worth upgrading for.

And that "we'll buy your phone for $700, but we'll pay you over 36 months and only if you keep the service" is one of the most blatant scams I've ever seen. Exactly why I buy unlocked and don't have a contract..

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a great deal as long as you stay, and don't upgrade regularly. It sounds like you like the deal, so it's good for you.

But you seem to upgrade more often than every 36 months, so be sure to factor that in to your cost analysis.

I love the built in s-pen and I usually upgrade every other release (every 24 months). Samsung gives such great trade in that I may be jumping on this yearly upgrade train with all of you!

Whatever you decide, good luck, and I hope we are all happy with our new phones.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I was going to keep my S21U since my next most recent backup is an ancient S7 and just buy the S22U outright and keep the S21U so that I had a more modern backup than a S7 but since I wanted the Tab S8U and also I wanted a new GoPro Hero 10 to upgrade from the Hero 8 and the fact that I buy all of my stuff outright, no payments, I didn't wanna drop all of that money all at once so yes, I'm trading in. But next year I'm most likely going to keep the S22U if I upgrade and then the following year or upgrade I'll just trade in my second oldest phone and always have the previous as a backup. The S7 just isn't an adequate backup for me anymore.

I use it for some minor stuff like using it as a hotspot to download OS updates since our oxymoron human brains thinks it's totally acceptable to backup and download billions of gigabytes to the cloud but downloading a OS update will crash the network so AT&T blocks OS update downloads over their network but gives you free HBO Max streaming, go figure, and you have to use wifi to download updates even if it's 18 year old out of date 3Mbit DSL that takes forever with no other service in your area. So I have to pull the sim, put it in another phone, and create a hotspot to be able to download OS updates over the 70Mbit cell data. But the S7 is so slow to boot and is so laggy to use it's almost unusable anymore. I need to keep a more recent backup phone at some point.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys87