Disastrous Experience with a VZW Phone From the Google Store

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Do I need to upgrade my sim card? My sim card with Verizon came with OG pixel 1 then into 3XL (both 3g and 4g) moving up to a pixel 6 Pro with 5g do I need to upgrade to get 5g?
I'm from the school better to have and not need them to need and not have so when I got my ZF2, I had an older SIM and I called Verizon and ordered a 5G SIM which was no charge or you can go into a store to get one but just make sure you don't pay for it because you shouldn't.. The old Sims will definitely work but I figured since my iPhone has a 5G SIM so should my Android phones lol

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Do I need to upgrade my sim card? My sim card with Verizon came with OG pixel 1 then into 3XL (both 3g and 4g) moving up to a pixel 6 Pro with 5g do I need to upgrade to get 5g?

We were still on Verizon when I first received my Pixel 5. I inserted my 4GLTE card out of my Windows phone and instantly had Nationwide 5G. They tried to tell me I needed a new Sim card for the mmWave 5G. Low and behold, in downtown Charlotte, I did get the mmWave side of their 5G on my Pixel 5. The mmWave 5G does me no good any way as I live way outside it's reach. I swear a new Sim card, is more about charging you a setup fee and being able to up-sell you into a more expensive plan, than anything. It even states on Verizons website that your 4GLTE card will work on the 5G network. As long as you have a 5G phone.

What sim card will do what. This is from Verizons website.
Screenshot from 2021-11-19 09-28-58.png

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When I had a P6P on order and thought I would actually received it, I contacted Tracfone and even asked the same question in a Verizon store. If I update to a 5G phone do I need a new sim card for it or will the one from my 4XL work. Both times the same reply. If I am currently getting LTE with that sim card, it should be able to obtain 5G with no problem.

As for future 5G, if it still comes on line next month, it is only in small geographical areas (my case closest is SLC and that is hundreds of miles away). More widespread of the C-band coming in 2023.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
We were still on Verizon when I first received my Pixel 5. I inserted my 4GLTE card out of my Windows phone and instantly had Nationwide 5G. They tried to tell me I needed a new Sim card for the mmWave 5G. Low and behold, in downtown Charlotte, I did get the mmWave side of their 5G on my Pixel 5. The mmWave 5G does me no good any way as I live way outside it's reach. I swear a new Sim card, is more about charging you a setup fee and being able to up-sell you into a more expensive plan, than anything. It even states on Verizons website that your 4GLTE card will work on the 5G network. As long as you have a 5G phone.

What sim card will do what. This is from Verizons website.
View attachment 339128

I'm still using the same sim that I originally got for my Moto X Pure Edition... It's been switched through multiple phones and has never once failed me ;) Every feature on every phone's worked perfectly, and every phone has activated the moment I put it in. I do only buy unlocked phones if that matters though.

My next phone will get the same sim :p

I have zero interest in 5G, and will be turning it off on my next phone... we live rural, and having a phone constantly searching for a signal that doesn't exist will be a complete waste.

I agree I think the whole "new sim needed" is an upsell/extra fee scam. I'm old school... I don't fix what ain't broken :)

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm still using the same sim that I originally got for my Moto X Pure Edition... It's been switched through multiple phones and has never once failed me ;) Every feature on every phone's worked perfectly, and every phone has activated the moment I put it in. I do only buy unlocked phones if that matters though.

My next phone will get the same sim :p

I have zero interest in 5G, and will be turning it off on my next phone... we live rural, and having a phone constantly searching for a signal that doesn't exist will be a complete waste.

I agree I think the whole "new sim needed" is an upsell/extra fee scam. I'm old school... I don't fix what ain't broken :)

The first text I got when I fired up the Pixel 5 was from Verizon. The upsell started instantly. The text said to receive the full benefits of my new phone I needed a new sim card. Jokes on you Verizon, as I knew better when I found that chart buried on their website. We never received 5G in our house on Verizon, it was always 4G LTE. I'd have to step outside on the porch to receive 5G. Now, on T-Mobile, it's everywhere in our house. And we live 40 miles south east of Charlotte, it's very rural where we are.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ordered a Verizon 6 from the Google store. Spent a couple of hours transferring setting, files and downloading apps. Then another hour setting up my work profile. Went to make a phone call and.... no service.

Then spent NINETY MINUTES on the phone with Verizon. Helpful person, but could not get their network to recognize the SIM the phone shipped with.

And "preferred care".... What a crock of sh!t. Impossible to get anyone on the phone. I'm number 56 on line for a chat session. Grrrrr......

Horrible customer experience. I've bought every phone since the Pixel XL from the Google store. This experience will push me to go to a carrier store where I can at least speak to a human being.

Back to the root of the problem, anyone else have issues activating a Verizon phone bought on the Google store?

Google's customer service flat out stinks!

It has from the beginning.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Pixel 5a from Google store and was told the sim card from my 2XL would not work in my 5a because it was not a 5G sim card. Solution was to go to the Verizon store and have them install a new sim card and transfer my phone number to it. Took ten minutes and they did not charge me a cent for installing a 5G sim card in my Pixel 5a.

The only upsell I got was a suggestion to go to automated payment plan.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my P6P and just put my old sim in there. Again, same SIM I've been using for years, since before 4G and 5G, etc. Put that old SIM in and my phone has shown 5G multiple times. I don't live in a 5G heavy area, so it's LTE usually, but have been doing a decent amount of travel for work and have definitely seen 5G, and strong 5G signal, in my status bar.

I think the problem with must customer service on VZW is it's full on people who can only read from a script. Most of them have no idea about anything other than reading from a script/flow chart. I would bet most can barely work their own Samsung or Apple phone. I bet most of us on here know more about phones that a typically CSR.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my P6P and just put my old sim in there. Again, same SIM I've been using for years, since before 4G and 5G, etc. Put that old SIM in and my phone has shown 5G multiple times. I don't live in a 5G heavy area, so it's LTE usually, but have been doing a decent amount of travel for work and have definitely seen 5G, and strong 5G signal, in my status bar.

I think the problem with must customer service on VZW is it's full on people who can only read from a script. Most of them have no idea about anything other than reading from a script/flow chart. I would bet most can barely work their own Samsung or Apple phone. I bet most of us on here know more about phones that a typically CSR.

On occasion you can find a knowledgeable person, but don't bet on it.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Exactly. Just to clarify, most SIM that you use currently on your phones are going to work with the new pixel phones. But if you wish to get a 5G SIM which I did last year, just either call customer service, have them mail it to you or go into a Verizon official store and have them do it for you and definitely no charge

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
A corporate Verizon store will have you sorted out and enjoying creamy 5G goodness in about 5 minutes. No charge.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all of your comments. The Pixel 5 SIM did work. The SIM that Google shipped with the phone wasn't going to work. I still have to go to a Verizon store, because I paid $100 (perhaps foolishly) for the VZW SIM with the hope of mmwave 5G service at some point.
Six hours of my life I'll never get back!
I am glad your pixel 5 SIM worked. That tech was just giving you the party line which is usually tosh where things like SIMs are concerned.

I hope you get your $100 back as well. Enjoy your new phone. I love my p6p