...dissapointed in the Galaxy Alpha

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Why the compromise though, the only thing "premium" seems to be the metal ring. I'm sorry, but compromising specs for better build quality is not premium. In my mind premium is uncompromising.

Posted via Android Central App
Enter the Galaxy Note 4 :)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand Samsungs logic with this phone. Samsung most likely considers the iPhone a mid range device because of specs.
They don't seem to understand that the iPhone handles iOS with the same speed and agility as Samsungs Flagship devices.
The Alpha would have been an Amazing phone if it had 1080p and 3GB Ram. I went into AT&T today and played with this device.
As usual, touchwiz lagged and choked in certain areas.
Why does samsung not get what people want? Take the alpha and put flagship parts in it.
I want the 16MP like the Note 4.
I want the 1080p screen.
I want 3GB Ram to smooth out touch-wiz poor coding and extra bloat.

Wake up samsung. geez How can a company this big be this clueless.
The executive that woke up one morning and said "hey, lets make a near exact copy of the iPhone with a 4.7 display, that is absolutely gorgeous and appears to be the most high end device we've ever made" but lets just throw some low end parts in it and see what happens".... -needs to be fired.

WTF samsung.

IMO if they had released a 4.7 phone with almost same specs as Note 4 (except screen), the cost would have been extremely high. I dont hink people would really want to pay that premium. The on contract price would probably have been at the 250 range, not to mention they might have been tip toeing along biting into the sales of the Note 4. But Im just a guy guessing. Personally I like the option of the alpha. My wife loves samsung products and this might be her next phone simply because of what she sees. Not whats under the hood and listed on paper but what she physically sees, which is a beautiful display (to her) smaller phone, great build quality and awesome camera. Thats all she needs.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Just saw it at AT&T: nothing special.

Seems just like a smaller S5 with a worse screen, no ip67 or removable storage.

Furthermore, it is approximately the same price as the S5.

Samsung won't sell a lot of these...

Just curious. Do you mean that you saw a Galaxy Alpha in a U.S. store?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
@mac58
Most women upgrade using that same logic. I feel ya.
But, I disagree that it would have been $250. All those specs are in the S5/HTC etc. and there is no reason for the phone to be more than $199 on a typical upgrade. I could see a $739 full retail price tho.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand Samsungs logic with this phone. Samsung most likely considers the iPhone a mid range device because of specs.
They don't seem to understand that the iPhone handles iOS with the same speed and agility as Samsungs Flagship devices.
The Alpha would have been an Amazing phone if it had 1080p and 3GB Ram. I went into AT&T today and played with this device.
As usual, touchwiz lagged and choked in certain areas.
Why does samsung not get what people want? Take the alpha and put flagship parts in it.
I want the 16MP like the Note 4.
I want the 1080p screen.
I want 3GB Ram to smooth out touch-wiz poor coding and extra bloat.

Wake up samsung. geez How can a company this big be this clueless.
The executive that woke up one morning and said "hey, lets make a near exact copy of the iPhone with a 4.7 display, that is absolutely gorgeous and appears to be the most high end device we've ever made" but lets just throw some low end parts in it and see what happens".... -needs to be fired.

WTF samsung.

Well the alpha competes with the IPHONE 6 QUITE nicely they basically have the same specs same screen resolution and I think the alpha looks much better the iPhone 6 looks like a 5c to me which looks cheap

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't really agree that the specs are all that low. The main thing you really need is a fast processor and enough memory, and the Alpha has those. The whole screen issue is just insane, in my view. How many of you have had NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS with 720p screens? Heck, I used to have a 37-inch TV with a 720p screen! To have 720p resolution in a tiny little phone screen is fine with me -- and presumably it helps to make the phone smaller and lighter since it doesn't have a bunch of extra pixels to push around and thus it needs less power, and can use a smaller battery. And so on. The same kind of thinking goes with the lack of a MicroSD card -- if you want a card to carry around a bunch of multimedia files, then get a big phone with a big screen to show that stuff on. I've got tablets for that kind of thing, and I just don't tend to do it on my phone at all.

And so on. I think the Alpha is pretty well-balanced for a very small, lightweight phone as compared to all of the big monsters that Samsung otherwise carries. I considered just about everything else out there, before I decided that what I really wanted was a smaller, lighter Samsung phone. I've only had mine for a few hours at this point, but so far, I'm very happy with it -- it's definitely just what I wanted at this point in my tech life.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I disagree that we don't need anything larger than 720p screens.
In actuality, we need the high def screen so that we can read small texts.
The sharpness and readability is critical on such small screens.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely 100% agreed with rikken above. I have absolutely no problem reading small text on mine. I've been using the 5.3-inch Galaxy Note with the same resolution for the past two years, and I've never had any problem with reading that, either. I think this whining about "low resolution" is utterly astonishingly overblown. I'll bet that there are =zero= customers who will actually buy the Galaxy Alpha and then return it because of its "low resolution" screen.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll bet that there are =zero= customers who will actually buy the Galaxy Alpha and then return it because of its "low resolution" screen.

Maybe not since the buyers bias seems extremely high on phone purchases these days.

But the screen issue will sure as hell hinder alot of people from buying the Alpha in the first place. I tested it in a few stores, and the horrible low res pentile display made me almost angry. Would never buy it!

Nisse Tuta

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I played with the Alpha today and I have to say that it was nice and all but didn't live up to my expectations. When people started talking about a premium Samsung I had a little more "premium" in mind to be honest.
But again, still a nice phone.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Lackluster Specs? Other then the 720p screen what is different between it and the S5? S5 and Alpha both have 2GB of RAM, and Snapdragon 801 CPU. The other difference is memory but Alpha has 32GB internal with no expanded memory vs the S5 with 16GB but with expanded memory ....

Exactly. Lackluster? I think you need better vocabulary my friend! I am getting this phone Monday not many good phones that are 4.7 now days

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Lackluster? I think you need better vocabulary my friend! I am getting this phone Monday not many good phones that are 4.7 now days

I hope you'll like it. I'm amazed at the negative comments about this phone -- you'd think people would have better things to do with their time. Yes, it has a smaller screen than the five-plus-inch other Samsung phones, yes, it has "only" 720p resolution, and yes, it doesn't include a MicroSD slot. Everyone should know all about that before heading off to the store to have a look at one.

Beyond that, I just have to shake my head in disbelief with what some folks are saying. I was at a mall this afternoon, so I popped into their AT&T store, and did a bit of a comparison between the Galaxy Alpha and the S5 that was right next to it. I just can't see the whining and hand-wringing over the resolution at all. I did notice that "brightness" tended to make a difference in whether the text on one phone looked sharper than that on another, so, after equalizing the brightness on both phones, it was sure VERY CLEAR to me: I sure thought that the Alpha had sharper, cleaner text than the S5 did. I can't even begin to comprehend what some of these people are talking about, when they say otherwise! I went into the "Settings" app, changed them so that they were both in "list" mode, so I could look at the same words against the same black background, and, again, I thought that the Alpha's text was easily cleaner than the S5's text.

In the end, with the Super AMOLED 720p screen, the Alpha has a screen that doesn't require nearly as much power (and thus eat battery life) like the big phones, so it can be as small and light as it is. It's not a multimedia monster, but you can go for one of the bigger phones if that's what you want. But it's very refreshing to finally have a smaller and lighter phone from Samsung, and one that performs very well at that.

Good luck with yours when you get it!

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well if you claim that the display of the Alpha is better/sharper than the S5, then you're having some severe eyesight problems. I recommend you do a check up.

Last edited:

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm debating between the alpha and the note 4. I think they are both an upgrade from the note 2. Minus s pen functions. It will be a better resolution and camera. I don't use all my gigs of the 16 go Note 2. So it's like a smaller s5 with a better note 2 screen. And all 4.7 in screens are 720p. I think people want big screen specs on small phones. Just not going to happen with today's technology

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Well if you claim that the display of the Alpha is better/sharper than the S5, then you're having some severe eyesight problems. I recommend you do a check up.

I was going to say the same to you, but I tend to be more polite than that. All I can tell you is that I adjusted the brightness to make the two phones as close as I could (did you happen to try that?), then I got to the same screen -- the settings screen in list mode (did you happen to try that?), and I thought that the Alpha's text was noticeably crisper than the S5's text. I held the phones right next to each other, at a normal viewing distance. I thought there was a noticeable difference for the better with the Alpha's screen.

That said, please note that I have talked about the "crispness" of the "text" at "normal viewing distances." You might find other aspects of the screens to be better in the S5's case, but I'm simply talking about equivalent "text" against equivalent backgrounds.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I was going to say the same to you, but I tend to be more polite than that. All I can tell you is that I adjusted the brightness to make the two phones as close as I could (did you happen to try that?), then I got to the same screen -- the settings screen in list mode (did you happen to try that?), and I thought that the Alpha's text was noticeably crisper than the S5's text. I held the phones right next to each other, at a normal viewing distance. I thought there was a noticeable difference for the better with the Alpha's screen.

That said, please note that I have talked about the "crispness" of the "text" at "normal viewing distances." You might find other aspects of the screens to be better in the S5's case, but I'm simply talking about equivalent "text" against equivalent backgrounds.
Yes I "happened" to try them out under the exact same conditions! Same brightness settings, same screen mode (adaptive, standard, RGB etc), and of course using the same websites and texts to compare the two. So... I have done my homework correctly!

It's almost comical how you guys always suggest that people that don't agree with your hallelujah moment over you new bought babies are either idiots or just plane stupid and ignorant. There are tech guys out there other then you you know.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201