Do NOT buy this phone!

DeltaFoxtrot

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both got Optimus T phones about 2 months ago. They have caused nothing but problems.

They regularly drop calls, either in the middle of the conversation or while attempting to connect.

A few times a day they will "lose" their SIM and SD cards, WHILE SITTING ON THE DESK, causing a complete phone reboot.

The emergency contact button on the pattern lock screen is way too easy to use. We have both pocket dialed 911 several times while the phone has been locked.

We have spent HOURS on the phone with T-mobile support. We have been to 3 different stores. We have replaced the SIM and SD cards, we have been sent replacement phones by T-mobile. The replacements have the exact same problems as our originals.

Despite our record of problems T-mobile will not take the phones back and replace them with another model that actually works. If we want reliable phones we have to pay for them out-of-pocket. Its absolutely ridiculous.

So, spare yourself the trouble. Don't buy one of these problematic pieces of crap.

fratermus

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both got Optimus T phones about 2 months ago. They have caused nothing but problems.

The phones are great; if mine died I'd buy another one tomorrow.

If yours are unusable by you I'll buy them off you for $50/each and you can buy something used-but-functional else off eBay. Since they are "nothing but problems" (ie, zero functionality in your experience) it seems like it would be a good deal for both of us. Paypal funds are in my account now; PM me if you are interested.

If you decide to keep the unusable phones for some reason, here are some things to try:

* verify the phone is running the most recent official ROM: menu | settings | about phone | software update. This has to be run over mobile data, not wifi BTW.

* Put in a decent microSD card. I recommend a Class 6 speed card for various reasons. I'd use the stock microSD in a camera, mp3 player, or some other device less sensitive to card quality. And/or move apps to camera internal to see if it makes a difference.

* take out the card and fsck/scandisk and/or reformat it.

If you are pocket dialing people (hasn't happened to me) you could use a different lockscreen app (I use widget locker) that does not come up to the unlock screen, mess with buildprop to stuff a nonsense number in there, use a case, disable the front keys to keep them from waking the phone (kinda like this), etc.

mar11974

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
1. Don't carry your phone in your pocket, buy a case.
2. Make sure you are using the latest firmware (should be V10S right now)
3. Most issues are software related (oem or user apps) so run it stock and see if the problems still occur, then add an app or two and see if the problem occurs, then add another app or two and see, etc...

I've only had dropped calls and connection issues when the towers in my area were being worked on (for about a three week period).

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It's awfully strange that both phones are exhibiting the same odd behavior.

The slow class 2 SD cards that are included with the phone are known to randomly dismount, this is widely known and would be the first thing I'd replace.

My next thought is app selection and then general ignorance.

Reset to factory settings and install an app, give it time to recreate the error. If all is well install the next app. If no joy, then return it.

FYI - this phone is recognized as the best bang for the buck world wide. Telling people it's garbage destroys your credibility.

Feeshie

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone from the day it came out and it's honesty the best phone I've ever had. Never had or heard about these problems at all except for the SD card problem.

Agent3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone for 6 months and I love it. I never encountered any of those problems before. I used my own sd card, class 4. I do not remember what I did but I no longer have the emergency contact button on the lock screen.

I do agree the stock rom does suck and when you start filling your phone with apps, it will cause a slow down.

Like fratermus said, I'll buy your phone(s) off you.

el3men7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

They regularly drop calls, either in the middle of the conversation or while attempting to connect.

A few times a day they will "lose" their SIM and SD cards, WHILE SITTING ON THE DESK, causing a complete phone reboot.

The emergency contact button on the pattern lock screen is way too easy to use. We have both pocket dialed 911 several times while the phone has been locked.

We have spent HOURS on the phone with T-mobile support. We have been to 3 different stores. We have replaced the SIM and SD cards, we have been sent replacement phones by T-mobile. The replacements have the exact same problems as our originals.

Despite our record of problems T-mobile will not take the phones back and replace them with another model that actually works. If we want reliable phones we have to pay for them out-of-pocket. Its absolutely ridiculous.

So, spare yourself the trouble. Don't buy one of these problematic pieces of crap.
The LG Optimus S has a similar problem with the microSD card ejecting randomly. Some people have had luck with reformatting the SD card on their computer, but most others have to buy a high quality class 4 or higher microSD card:
How to Fix LG Optimus S SD card Issues - LG Cell Phones Blog

Android Central sells SD cards specifically for the Optimus S:
http://store.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-memory-cards.htm

The Optimus S forums recommend Sandisk as the brand that's most compatible. I've personally had unmounting issues with cheaper class 6 brands in my Optimus S, but haven't had any issues since buying the recommended Sandisk.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you're talking into the right end? I don't mean to imply you don't know how to use your phones, but read through all the forums you can find and see how many people are very satisfied with this phone. Don't diss my phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha