Do you use Samsung Pay?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It essentially works the same way. The major difference is that Samsung has built in hardware that emulates the strip. For example, in my area I would most likely use Android Pay at Gamestop only due to limited support in my area. I can also use Samsung Pay the exact same way at gamestop. However, I can also use Samsung Pay at Kroger, thanks to the strip hardware in my S7 Edge.

They also introduced a rewards program that looks pretty good

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Look......I was hesitant to use it at first because I was like "What's the big deal?", but once I started using it, it was the greatest thrill. Especially when you use it where Apple Pay doesn't work. Then, you get to show off your tech savvy by explaining MST to them.

As of Black Friday, my Samsung Pay experience went from great to through the roof. I got a Samsung Gear S3. It uses Samsung Pay. The setup was awkward as I had to install it AGAIN to use it on the phone, and you still need the phone on your person or relatively close proximity to work (found this out the hard way as I went to pay for my car wash and my daughter was playing on my phone out of reach.....like 15 feet).

AND.....I found out that it even works with those Square reader things people use to connect to their cell phones like food trucks or the farmer's market. It's just so damn convenient!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sucks that that happened to you, but I can relate unfortunately. A merchant had their account hacked and therefore my debit card was compromised. While on vacation, a low balance went off went it couldn't for knowing my expenses. Had to cancel the card while on vacation and had to swap over to credit for remainder of the trip for lack of cash.

So with that said, I will now give this Samsung Pay a chance due to everyone's advice!!

Was reading that my Edge will do MST along with NFC. Apparently that's a thing? Anyone tried the MST function?

I will go buy a pack of gum to just live a little and try something new. Ha!

The MST is how Samsung Pay works most of the time (that's what it uses for 'normal' card readers). If it doesn't get the confirmation from that, it uses NFC as a back up, but since most terminals aren't NFC-equipped, that is really just that, a back up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Look......I was hesitant to use it at first because I was like "What's the big deal?", but once I started using it, it was the greatest thrill. Especially when you use it where Apple Pay doesn't work. Then, you get to show off your tech savvy by explaining MST to them.

As of Black Friday, my Samsung Pay experience went from great to through the roof. I got a Samsung Gear S3. It uses Samsung Pay. The setup was awkward as I had to install it AGAIN to use it on the phone, and you still need the phone on your person or relatively close proximity to work (found this out the hard way as I went to pay for my car wash and my daughter was playing on my phone out of reach.....like 15 feet).

AND.....I found out that it even works with those Square reader things people use to connect to their cell phones like food trucks or the farmer's market. It's just so damn convenient!

Yup, the lady at the mini-farmers market that comes to my office on friday's was so intrigued by that she asked me to stay a while and explain how it worked. I got a free smoothie for my time :)

Also, I thought the S3 was supposed to work with SPay regardless of whether you had the phone with you...

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
From what I've been reading, the phone needs to be near. I can only confirm that when it wasn't, my payments would fail. I'm pretty certain I was doing it correctly. Those were the only times it didn't work for me is when the phone was out of range.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From what I've been reading, the phone needs to be near. I can only confirm that when it wasn't, my payments would fail. I'm pretty certain I was doing it correctly. Those were the only times it didn't work for me is when the phone was out of range.

Samsung Gear S3 preview: Big watches, bigger wearable family | Android Central
That means you can make 10 payment attempts without your phone being connected, and if your watch is removed from your wrist you have to enter a four-digit PIN code. All of the security is done correctly here.

Maybe they decided against it? Weird.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Sucks that that happened to you, but I can relate unfortunately. A merchant had their account hacked and therefore my debit card was compromised. While on vacation, a low balance went off went it couldn't for knowing my expenses. Had to cancel the card while on vacation and had to swap over to credit for remainder of the trip for lack of cash.

So with that said, I will now give this Samsung Pay a chance due to everyone's advice!!

Was reading that my Edge will do MST along with NFC. Apparently that's a thing? Anyone tried the MST function?

I will go buy a pack of gum to just live a little and try something new. Ha!

That's the great thing about Samsung Pay, it uses both NFC (Near Field Communication) and much older technology MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission). NFC is the most but if the merchant hasn't upgraded their swiping terminals for quite some time then NFC won't work but MST will unless it's a terminal where you have to insert the card like at a gas pump or ATM machine. So in theory Samsung Pay should work with almost any terminal out there whereas others like Apple Pay will not.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I literally press mine against the terminal where the strip reader is and hold it there until I get a prompt to enter my pin, never had an issue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's the great thing about Samsung Pay, it uses both NFC (Near Field Communication) and much older technology MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission). NFC is the most but if the merchant hasn't upgraded their swiping terminals for quite some time then NFC won't work but MST will unless it's a terminal where you have to insert the card like at a gas pump or ATM machine. So in theory Samsung Pay should work with almost any terminal out there whereas others like Apple Pay will not.

Just to clarify, MST is not old. The magnetic strip is. MST is the new technology that allows the phone to securely emulate the strip and send the information wirelessly to old strip readers.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Me neither.....unless my phone wasn't near. Is your phone on you when you do this though....every time?
I usually just hit the home button to wake it up, then slide up the Samsung Pay from the very bottom. I have noticed since the latest Samsung Pay update that I have to wait about 2-3 seconds before I can use my fingerprint to activate the payment process; it's like Samsung Pay is slow to load or something. Not a big deal but not as fast as it used to be.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

There are too many reasons to count why i love my Gear S3, (LTE Version) but i'd have to say #1 reason is being able to leave phone behind at lunch and just use my watch to pay for things (while phone is back @ work on desk miles away : )...

Its NOT a gimmick, its become the, "the new normal" for me... Thought it was GREAT on my phone, but finding the "sweet spot" occasionally did take some finagling...but dang, NOTHING beats pressing & holding little side button and BAM!, tap "pay" and DONE!

As much as i love Samsung, i have ALWAYS experienced some form of disappointment after anxiously awaiting some new feature they promised....but their implementation of Samsung Pay on Gear LTE S3 Frontier to me is "perfection at its finest".... Couldn't IMAGINE not having it...ty Sammy, love u : )

BTC

Sammy Pay On Watch.jpg

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I use Samsung pay and love it. Like everyone else it's a joy to watch the reaction of the resistant cashier when it works and they act like you are holding up the line. My Gear S3 Frontier will arrive today and I can't edit to try it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to be able to use it but where I live may as well be renamed Appleville. I'll never see it.

Unless you live in a city where people only take Applepay (which is illegal), you shouldn't have any issue using Samsung Pay. It works with any 'swipe' terminal for debit/credit cards as well as with NFC terminals that take Apple Pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo