Does a phone try to connect to wifis that you dont have saved info on?

djty120

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I was told recently this is the reason I am having trouble with my signal. This doesn't make sense to me as if it doesn't have the information saved I would think it won't try and connect.

The T-Mobile employee than argued that if it is unsecure network it will automatically connect. Well 90 to 95 percent of networks are encrypted nowadays. They come encrypted default when you buy the router.

Am I correct to say that if the specific router wifi doesn't have any saved info will the routers that I am driving by cause issues with my signal?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

djty120

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Signal randomly going in and out in areas that usually work well. I called T-Mobile support and they said possibly a bad sim card. I go into a store to get new sim cards and he immediately says " they always say that. It's because your wifi is on" Refused to listen to me had to grab phone and walk out. He said there's no way it's the sim card as It's less than a year old.

To answer your title question, No. They may be detected, but there would be no automatic connection to them. Otherwise attempted connections, hundreds of them one after another as you were travelling along a street, for example, would occur.
I’m assuming that I’ve understood you correctly.

What is the trouble that you are having?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

djty120

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
I am getting spotty signal issues constantly in areas that otherwise work well on different occasions. I have to airplane mode my phone a few times a day to fix this. I called support and they determined it might be a damaged sim card. I went into a store to try and get new sim cards. He immediately says they always say that and than proceeds to tell me that it's because my wifi is turned on. That it is trying to connect to other wifis and that is messing up your signal. He says that because the sim is less than a year old that there's no way it could be that.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When out and about and using mobile data, my wifi is also switched on. Of course there’s no need for it to be on, but it causes no trouble at all - it’s easier to leave it on so that the phone automatically connects to my own wifi when I return.

I don’t know whether SIMs can go bad after a time, or whether duff ones are duff from the start. If possible, try your SIM in someone else’s phone, and their SIM in yours.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

When you say the signal is going in and out, does that also correspond with the phone not being able to make calls or connect to the web?

It's true that with a certain setting turned on, the phone may automatically turn on wi-fi ("Turn On Wi-fi Automatically -- Wi-fi will turn back on near high quality saved networks, like your home network"). But the cell signal shouldn't disappear in this situation, and you certainly shouldn't lose connectivity.

You could always turn off that setting (if it's on), or just turn off wi-fi for a while and see if you still have cellular connectivity issues.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I am getting spotty signal issues constantly in areas that otherwise work well on different occasions. I have to airplane mode my phone a few times a day to fix this. I called support and they determined it might be a damaged sim card. I went into a store to try and get new sim cards. He immediately says they always say that and than proceeds to tell me that it's because my wifi is turned on. That it is trying to connect to other wifis and that is messing up your signal. He says that because the sim is less than a year old that there's no way it could be that.
Sure it can be your sim card. It shouldn't be any problem for them to replace it. And it's easy enough to find out if the problem is your sim card by just replacing it. I would just ask them again to replace it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards