Does airplane mode BS?

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand what airplane mode does, but does anyone else think it's BS? If leaving my phone signal on was that big of a deal where it's a must to turn this mode on why don't they check? If it was really important they would make sure pones were off and not just hope people turn them into airplane mode?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, cause I want to sit on the runway even longer while the stewardess checks everyone's phones :mad:

I think the whole cell phone interferring with the flight has been pretty much debunked, although I think there might be a "small" chance it could happen so it sticks around.

Can you even get a signal at 30,000 ft? That's a long ways from towers. Although weren't the victims on the 9/11 flights using their phones?

Kasracer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Using Wireless Devices on Airplanes

Basically, there isn't a ton of evidence that says this would or wouldn't interfere with a plane's operation and could possibly interfere with some navigation and communications equipment.

So it's insanely unlikely to even cause a hiccup but they want to be 1000% certain. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Using Wireless Devices on Airplanes

Basically, there isn't a ton of evidence that says this would or wouldn't interfere with a plane's operation and could possibly interfere with some navigation and communications equipment.

So it's insanely unlikely to even cause a hiccup but they want to be 1000% certain. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

ok if thats the case, there not being sure if there not checking? Out of everyone I know they all leave there phone ON.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I use airplane mode for very low signal areas (not often) but if i'm somewhere like that rather then have my battery drain from the phone trying to find a signal i just rather eliminate that and conserve powah!

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I use airplane mode for very low signal areas (not often) but if i'm somewhere like that rather then have my battery drain from the phone trying to find a signal i just rather eliminate that and conserve powah!

yea thats the only thing i use it for

Kasracer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If it's something that is going to actually harm the plane you don't think they would care?
I don't think there is any harm possible; mostly just annoyances (at least that's what I got from that web page).
Also since when is security trusting?
I don't think they really care. They always seem fairly clueless. I think they just put on an act to make people feel better.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is any harm possible; mostly just annoyances (at least that's what I got from that web page).
I don't think they really care. They always seem fairly clueless. I think they just put on an act to make people feel better.

This is what I'm saying I think it's all bs

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Next time you fly, make sure you leave yours on and see if the plane crashes or not.

How stupid do you have to be? If you are 30,000 feet in the air, why would you take any chances?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
While I don't think there's any harm in it (no study has proven it), I wouldn't want to get caught with it on, in today's security climate.

Not sure what they'd do, but "endangering a flight" or whatever charge they might nail you with is nothing I'd want to have to deal with in today's climate. There is nothing I need a signal for that is that important, so I'll follow the rules. I'll also gladly point out anyone who is using their phone on a flight.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm an airline pilot (Really) all I can say is that GSM phones bug the hell out of me. I can hear them interfere on my radios, kind of sounds like that old modem sound. My sprint phone or Verizon (CDMA) don't seem to do anything. I've left my phone on before just kills the battery like crazy because it's roaming/ searching for a signal the whole flight.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm an airline pilot (Really) all I can say is that GSM phones bug the hell out of me. I can hear them interfere on my radios, kind of sounds like that old modem sound. My sprint phone or Verizon (CDMA) don't seem to do anything. I've left my phone on before just kills the battery like crazy because it's roaming/ searching for a signal the whole flight.

So why don't you make people turn them off?

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Next time you fly, make sure you leave yours on and see if the plane crashes or not.

How stupid do you have to be? If you are 30,000 feet in the air, why would you take any chances?

I'll wait until your on the plane to take you out also, this is not the point of the thread. Try and keep up.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Only self-righteous, self-important @$$holes leave their phones on during flights. Unfortunately, they are multiplying and I see more and more of them. I wish that you could report them to flight crew and have TSA man handle them after the flight.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So why don't you make people turn them off?

They do make you turn them off, well they ask you to at least, but they shouldn't have to...that's why they have the airplane mode in the first place, so you can listen to your music, watch a movie you may have downloaded or play games with out the phones radio being on and interfering with the planes comms.

It also keeps the battery from being drained by the phone constantly looking for service

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
As for why "the rules" say that cell phones must be turned off, consider the position of the bureaucrat who has to make that decision. He (or she) can either decide that he will allow phones to be turned on in flight....If he does that, if there is any accident that is attributed to cell phone interference, even if it was caused by bad design decisions by the cell phone designers or the avionics designers on the plane, then he will catch the blame. Career ruined. And in fairness, he will no doubt feel awful about it. And there's no particular upside if he does decide to allow the cell phone use. He doesn't get a raise, or even praise. On the other hand, if he never allows cell phone use, then there is no problem, no downside. And he will never be called upon to explain a plane crash or accident. Nobody really cares about it, despite the grumbling.

If I was in his shoes, I know which way I'd go, and it would take me about .03 microseconds to make my decision!

As a person who flies several times a year, I hope and pray that cell phone use during flight is _NEVER_ allowed. I don't want to sit in between a salesman and a 16 year old girl, both of whom are talking nonstop for the four hours (or whatever it is) we're in the air. The chatter on a full flight would be ear-shattering, and make it impossible to read or watch a video, even with headphones. Since this would make it difficult for the pilots to get people's attention for inflight announcements, and even somewhat intrude on the attendants' ability to conduct the beverage service, I've often wondered if the airlines haven't quietly and informally asked the FAA to continue the ban.

Finally, I doubt the cell companies would be crazy about the problems created by dozens of cell phones zipping around at 400 mph and being handed off between towers every three minutes (or whatever the time in range of a tower would be, I made up the three minutes number).

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ya, that's what I want, to be trapped on a plane flight with somebody believing they have to talk on the phone for the whole flight in the seat next to me. They should be banned just for that. I absolutely don't believe enough people would be courteous about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac