Does Samsung Galaxy S9+ support VoLTE from ATT?

FiddlyBits

Feb 2, 2022
Visit site
ConsumerCell tells me that my S9+ does not qualify for their new ATT VoLTE service (from IMEI Checked). Samsung says it supports 4G LTE. Does the IMEI control the service or the SIM (or both)?
What am I missing?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
ConsumerCell tells me that my S9+ does not qualify for their new ATT VoLTE service (from IMEI Checked). Samsung says it supports 4G LTE. Does the IMEI control the service or the SIM (or both)?
What am I missing?

You need to contact a different person at Consumer Cellular, whoever you were talking to previously is either misinformed about current cellular technology (both VoLTE and a Galaxy S9+ are well established with solid histories), or it was a matter where one or both of you misheard whatever the other was saying.
And just FYI, the IMEI is a fixed identifier for the phone itself. We use phone names (i.e. Galaxy S9, or Moto G7, or whatever) to distinguish one phone model from another, but the IMEI is a fixed, digital I.D. that's more or less unique for every phone and that's what different phone services rely upon as far as tracking a phone's status.
A SIM card is interchangeable and essentially a temporary component, and it doesn't have any ability to alter cellular signal types or bands. A SIM is basically storage media, designated for a singular purpose -- retaining user account data (i.e. authenticating a user's account to use a specific cellular service)..

FiddlyBits

Feb 2, 2022
Visit site
Is S9+ Really 4G VoLTE enabled?

I have a (later) Samsung S9+ which I ported from ATT to Consumer Cellular (ATT Svc.) service within the last yr. Everything (initially) worked until CC began their move to 5G and dropped 3G. For the last few days I have NOT been able to make calls.. But, I have received calls satisfactorily. Internet access is still good.

CC gives me several answers after I contacted them about their Records being incorrect - that I had a 4G Phone. Originally, all was OK and they 'corrected' their records. Now, they Insist I buy a new phone. They stated the problem is that the S9+ cannot (fully) support VoLTE.

Samsung Tech:
According to Samsung documentation, the S9 supports 4G LTE. If that is correct, and voice over LTE is simply VoLTE... then my S9 should work as well as any other similar device? But it doesn't. It cannot make OUTBOUND CALLS as provisioned.

More Info:
When I look at "Networks" on the S9, there is only 2G and 3G listed. VoLTE Calls is Enabled; The selected Network mod(options) = LTE/3G/2G (auto connect).
No 4G is displayed. Is this limited by the SIM ? Or, something else?

Checking:
When I do a IMEI verification with MINT... it is OK to port. Does MINT use ATT and VoLTE also?
I am about to jump off of CC.

Help?

FiddlyBits

Feb 2, 2022
Visit site
SMVIM:
Thank You! You confirmed, and Clarified, everything I Thought I knew. THIS is a Catastrophic Failure at Consumer Cellular. I have been "Chatting" with 3 Different people today at CC - all attempted to re mis-inform me the same way.

I have wasted my time - I can only believe that their IMEI lookup is giving them incorrect data.... or Incentive$ are so high it makes them look stupid. You know, many people would fall for: "Buy a new phone from us.."
The Samsung s9+ Model is SM-G965U.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although the model number may be listed on the compatibility list, it's still possible that certain units may not support VoLTE on that carrier. The ultimate arbiter is the IMEI -- if that IMEI doesn't show up as compatible in their list, then there's nothing you can do about that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is S9+ Really 4G VoLTE enabled?

I have a (later) Samsung S9+ which I ported from ATT to Consumer Cellular (ATT Svc.) service within the last yr. Everything (initially) worked until CC began their move to 5G and dropped 3G. For the last few days I have NOT been able to make calls.. But, I have received calls satisfactorily. Internet access is still good.

CC gives me several answers after I contacted them about their Records being incorrect - that I had a 4G Phone. Originally, all was OK and they 'corrected' their records. Now, they Insist I buy a new phone. They stated the problem is that the S9+ cannot (fully) support VoLTE.

Samsung Tech:
According to Samsung documentation, the S9 supports 4G LTE. If that is correct, and voice over LTE is simply VoLTE... then my S9 should work as well as any other similar device? But it doesn't. It cannot make OUTBOUND CALLS as provisioned.

More Info:
When I look at "Networks" on the S9, there is only 2G and 3G listed. VoLTE Calls is Enabled; The selected Network mod(options) = LTE/3G/2G (auto connect).
No 4G is displayed. Is this limited by the SIM ? Or, something else?

Checking:
When I do a IMEI verification with MINT... it is OK to port. Does MINT use ATT and VoLTE also?
I am about to jump off of CC.

Help?

FYI, I merged your similar threads about this, and made you the owner of the original guest post.

FiddlyBits

Feb 2, 2022
Visit site
Good info. However, the IMEI 'cleared' the (initial checkout) Scrutiny with MINT. Does/has MINT plans to use VoLTE with ATT? If MINT is currently using G3, this apparent problem would be masked at this time?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Good info. However, the IMEI 'cleared' the (initial checkout) Scrutiny with MINT. Does/has MINT plans to use VoLTE with ATT? If MINT is currently using G3, this apparent problem would be masked at this time?

Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile's towers.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
When VoLTE was a new feature it typically only worked with a carriers branded phone on a specific carrier. For example when Verizon launched it, it only worked on Verizon handsets, anything unlocked lacked the feature.

Now that 3G is going away and voice needs to be done over VoLTE there seems to be a lot of people with unlocked phones having problems because they can't use VoLTE.

I believe the newest unlocked phones support VoLTE on all carriers.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
SMVIM:
Thank You! You confirmed, and Clarified, everything I Thought I knew. THIS is a Catastrophic Failure at Consumer Cellular. I have been "Chatting" with 3 Different people today at CC - all attempted to re mis-inform me the same way.

I have wasted my time - I can only believe that their IMEI lookup is giving them incorrect data.... or Incentive$ are so high it makes them look stupid. You know, many people would fall for: "Buy a new phone from us.."
The Samsung s9+ Model is SM-G965U.

They're trying to force you to buy a new phone from them, there's been multiple threads about Consumer Cellular doing this. They use the AT&T network, which we use. My wife's Moto G6 and my Moto Z3 play aren't on AT&T's list of approved phones, but both of them are working great on AT&T... VoLTE working great, Visual Voicemail with Live Transcribe etc. I would dump CC... they sound like crooks to me. We'll never be using them.