Doogee S98, Doogee S96 GT, or Redmi Note 13 pro?

Raccoon

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
Hello! :). I'm looking for a phone with good photo and video quality, that's gonna work smoothly and that's gonna survive me.

Imma expand:

One or both of the Doogee ones got Infrared and ****, but if besides that type of additions the Xiaomi takes better photos then I'll go with that.

For what I know both work good regarding speed and such, 120hz refresh rate and all of that.

In resistance Doogee it's better for what I know, but yeah.

I'm not knowledgeable of this kind of stuff, so all the information I've researched just overwhelmed me. I just wanna buy the that I can, whichnis what lead me here.

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answering, What about durability?, I drop phones a lot.
I wouldn't know about that personally, but the quality control issue would probably include durability. Doogee advertises "rugged" phones, but some reviews I've seen of these kinds of phones point out that it's often just for show, and they're not actually that rugged.

@Madd62 and @dangerousfen could probably give more input about their own experience.

Raccoon

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
Aight, I guess I'll wait for them then(?, sorry but I don't really now how this site works lol. Thanks for being willing to help again : )

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Aight, I guess I'll wait for them then(?, sorry but I don't really now how this site works lol. Thanks for being willing to help again : )
Sure thing! I tagged those two members, so we'll see when they get a chance to respond (I know that they both have experience with Xiaomi phones). Of course, anyone else on this forum who has experience is certainly welcome to weigh in as well!

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Where are you based? In the UK?
Xiaomi brands are generally not sold in the US.

They are both Chinese brands, but Xiaomi (with their Poco, Redmi and Xiaomi models) are
infinitely larger (top 3 Worldwide alongside Samsung and Apple iirc) and much better specified for the money, now have very good long term support, though updates can be slow to arrive.
The software controls and useful options are up there with Samsung or Google (without AI intelligence). You would not suspect they are a Chinese brand, as you would that Samsung are from S. Korea.

Any old complaints about too many added apps (Samsung are worse) , adverts and shutting down of running apps can be rectified in Settings.

It depends how important a ruggedised phone is to you, but you will sacrifice poor hardware like the old, budget processor and screen type. I haven't looked at the second model Doogee you mentioned.

If you are hitting the £300 - 350 mark, there are Xiaomi several I can recommend. You would be well advised to budget about £15 - 20 for a case and around £9 for a pair of Tempered Glass screen protectors (1 spare). Ibywind on Amazon are very good screen protectors. Spigen among others make several different cases for most all models. Both items should see you covered.
I have my Xiaomi Poco F2 for 3.5 years.

** The other member mentioned had changed to the Redmi Note [13]12 Pro Plus a few months ago.**
CORRECTED : **Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus in fact**

Reviewers rate the model you mentioned as the value / soecs choice of the 4 Note 11models.

The top Xiaomi 13T and 13T Pro can be found under £440 at CEX as new.
Samsung have good models in the 2022 S21FE, and A34 A54 models now being replaced.

Doogee have been an odd choice for the very few. I don't think the S98 has updated to Android 13 and 14 yet, and you may have to install a ROM to update
Nokia brought out a rugged phone last year, the XR21. A good brand in the past, but again LCD screen type (for better shock resistance over OLED probably) , Victus screen glass prone to scratches but otherwise OK, and disappointing though competent processor.

Xiaomi phones have Infrared ports on I think all models.

Try to download the Mi Store app where you are, or check their website. I've seen amazing one day or weekly reductions, plus coupon and points discounts.

(I gotta stop re - editing. Doc!) 🙃

Last edited:

Raccoon

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
Where are you based? In the UK?
Xiaomi brands are generally not sold in the US.

They are both Chinese brands, but Xiaomi (with their Poco, Redmi and Xiaomi models) are
infinitely larger (top 3 Worldwide alongside Samsung and Apple iirc) and much better specified for the money, now have very good long term support, though updates can be slow to arrive.
The software controls and useful options are up there with Samsung or Google (without AI intelligence). You would not suspect they are a Chinese brand, as you would that Samsung are from S. Korea.

Any old complaints about too many added apps (Samsung are worse) , adverts and shutting down of running apps can be rectified in Settings.

It depends how important a ruggedised phone is to you, but you will sacrifice poor hardware like the old, budget processor and screen type. I haven't looked at the second model Doogee you mentioned.

If you are hitting the £300 - 350 mark, there are Xiaomi several I can recommend. You would be well advised to budget about £15 - 20 for a case and around £9 for a pair of Tempered Glass screen protectors (1 spare). Ibywind on Amazon are very good screen protectors. Spigen among others make several different cases for most all models. Both items should see you covered.
I have my Xiaomi Poco F2 for 3.5 years. The other member mentioned had changed to the Redmi Note 13 Pro Plus a few months ago.

Reviewers rate the model you mentioned as the value / soecs choice of the 4 Note 11models.

The top Xiaomi 13T and 13T Pro can be found under £440 at CEX as new.
Samsung have good models in the 2022 S21FE, and A34 A54 models now being replaced.

Doogee have been an odd choice for the very few. I don't think the S98 has updated to Android 13 and 14 yet, and you may have to install a ROM to update
Nokia brought out a rugged phone last year, the XR21. A good brand in the past, but again LCD screen type (for better shock resistance over OLED probably) , Victus screen glass prone to scratches but otherwise OK, and disappointing though competent processor.

Xiaomi phones have Infrared ports on I think all models.

Try to download the Mi Store app where you are, or check their website. I've seen amazing one day or weekly reductions, plus coupon and points discounts.

(I gotta stop re - editing. Doc!) 🙃
Thank you so much!, you've gave me a lot of information. I'm in South America (Chile) and I think they don't have those deals here, as the Xiaomi website doesn't show a lot.

I've been looking at other phones and deals, new and refurbished:

Motorola Moto G100 5G 128GB Refurbished
Samsung Galaxy S21+ 128 Refurbished
Samsung Galaxy A54 5G 128GB New
Celular Samsung A73 5G 128 Refurbished
Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Pro+ Refurbished
Xiaomi Redmi Note 13 Pro New, which costs the same as the 12 Pro+ refurbished.
There's also iphones and **** around the same price, I think 12, 12mini, SE 2022, blablabla, but I don't really know iphones so I'm don't really think too much about it. Forgot to say I want a 5g phone so it doesn't run behind too fast if that makes sense.

Imma look at the phones you suggested and see what's up. Again thank a lot for your help : )))))))

Reactions: B. Diddy and Madd62

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi.

Thanks for your comments.
You are the third person this Century who I have temporarily convinced I know what I'm talking about. (little do you know ...!)

Regarding that list - It's hard to say without knowing the price comparisons or what else is available to you.
Can you reject any if the battery life seems poor. Generally I have had little issue with 3 year old batteries, but I owned phones from new.

I personally would discount the S21+ as it's a 3 year old model, though it will be updated for a while and the ultimate S series is where you want to be. The S24 models are a month out.

Likewise the A73 was good but getting old.

Motorola G100 again no, for me. It has a great processor, but probably has ended all updates at 3 years old.

The A54 was an improvement on the A53 and is generally strong all around without being spectacular, so maybe - but personally it was priced 100 too high originally here, and the A34 seemed a better buy.

The new range A15 is out, so a new A35 and A55 are out or imminent.

I haven't addressed your camera and ruggedness criteria, and don't know if screen and phone size is immaterial.

I presume the list you gave will have the correct network bands for your network / carrier. Double check on any others.

Edit **You probably don't want to switch to a 2 year phone plan, but it can be* amazing how low some desirable phones become here with a large monthly data allowance included. I've always been sim only but I've been paying more monthly on a long expired sim plan when I could now get a nice phone included for less total cost overall.

Oneplus Nord 3, previous Nord 2T, older Oneplus 10 or 10T would be good buys if available low.

Google"s Pixel 7 or 7a would be good for cameras and uodates.

Back with Xiaomi, also look at the new Poco X6 and X6 Pro.
Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus maybe, but I would go with the Note 13 Pro new.

Don't accidentally see Realme and think Redmi. Realme have pretty good phones, and are partnered with the Oneplus and Oppo brands I think. Vivo phones may be part of that too. All good brands.
Honor phones are popular here. They were part of Huawei who were prevented from adding Google services, but Honor have full services installed.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. 🤔
Come back in December when you have finished your homework.

Seriously, I hope someone else can give you advice of more relevance.

Pick a good review site, GSMArena has great written reviews and You Tube videos on most models, and a specs comparison page.

Last edited:

Raccoon

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
Well, if you don't know what you're are talking about there's not much left for me lol. I'm still thankful for all the stuff you are telling me which I can actually understand. I got overwhelmed with it all a bit ago, so I'm happy to be Believer the Third.

The list it's conformed all by phones I can buy, around 300.000 pesos (306 USD, 282 EU, 241 Pounds) so definitely not hitting the £300 line lol, I whished.

I don't care much about the size/weight of the phone, right now I'm using a Samsung A21s (6'5") and I'm good with that.

I've checked for the carriers and I'll keep checking, which is really boring.

I remember looking at google and honor phones, and them being too expensive or me not really understanding what they were all about, so thank you for narrowing the options, it really makes it much easier.

I know honor, vivo, realme, OnePlus and such, theres a store that sells almost every brand I could think of, they got homologing (don't know if that's the word in English) instructions

I'll be back, probably not with my homework tho.

I was looking at the phone you listed and I'll finish doing it, I'll edit this with what I find.

Thanks again, besides your knowledge or lack of (which I'm not capable of assessing) I'm thankful for the willingness to help.

I'll be back.

I've started writing the list twice and both times it's been edited which has caused my writing to be deleted. Please don't edit this out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madd62

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
That's a good price now for the Galaxy A54. Samsung UK have just put it down again to £349 from £449; though Amazon here can sell you a refurbished or a new one from a reseller for a similar price to your UK calculation, c. £279.

Some here advise against some Amazon resellers and I've no experience, but maybe just look at their customer reviews if you are going that way, and whether you get a sealed unit, possibly from another country.

Samsung don't provide chargers in the box anymore, so that's not a concern.

FYI you don't get a headphone jack, but you do still get SD Card support on the A54.

There's only no EIS / video stabilisation when filming in 4K but it works when in 1080p and below. (who films in 4K? IDK)

Good IP67 rating for dust and water resistance. (IP68 is the max available, 6 dust, 8 water ingress) but don't swim with it.

Maybe get one in the hand at a department store or a Samsung store. I like the 6.4 inch size.

Definitely have a look around at other phones available to you.

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a54-review-2546.php

Raccoon

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
That's a good price now for the Galaxy A54. Samsung UK have just put it down again to £349 from £449; though Amazon here can sell you a refurbished or a new one from a reseller for a similar price to your UK calculation, c. £279.

Some here advise against some Amazon resellers and I've no experience, but maybe just look at their customer reviews if you are going that way, and whether you get a sealed unit, possibly from another country.

Samsung don't provide chargers in the box anymore, so that's not a concern.

FYI you don't get a headphone jack, but you do still get SD Card support on the A54.

There's only no EIS / video stabilisation when filming in 4K but it works when in 1080p and below. (who films in 4K? IDK)

Good IP67 rating for dust and water resistance. (IP68 is the max available, 6 dust, 8 water ingress) but don't swim with it.

Maybe get one in the hand at a department store or a Samsung store. I like the 6.4 inch size.

Definitely have a look around at other phones available to you.

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a54-review-2546.php
Thanks for the advice, right now I'm a bit frustrated about my post getting edited :(. Still thanks for taking time to answer me queries.

*Edit: I'll be back tho.

Reactions: Madd62

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000