Download Google Drive Files?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to download all of my drive files (8gb of files) to my phone storage (I have penty of room)?

I don't want a zip download because then I lose the ability to organize files by date modified. In a zip they are all modified to today's date which is useless for me.

I can select a file to download from the Google Drive playstore app but there is no select all I can see.

I would like to download them to a folder I create ideally so they will be organized into an offline copy of my files which I can still organize by most recently modified.

Any ideas? I've read suggestions online but none seem to meet my specifications as described.

Thanks for your help!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are signed in to the same drive as the target device, it is shown as an option to share it, and can be dl at this point.
So I click the share icon? Then how do I select all files then download them unzipped to a target folder in my phone? I don't want a share url pathway. I want the actual files.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Create a new folder, then select Move for everything you want.
Once done moving all files , dl on the target device to its storage.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Create a new folder, then select Move for everything you want.
Once done moving all files , dl on the target device to its storage.
I literally want everything, every single file. With no select-all, the task is onerous. If I had created a documents folder 15 years ago and begun putting everything in it... but I didn't.

There is no option to download a folder in Android Google app anyway.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I literally want everything, every single file. With no select-all, the task is onerous. If I had created a documents folder 15 years ago and begun putting everything in it... but I didn't.

There is no option to download a folder in Android Google app anyway.
Make a new folder in Drive. Highlight all your files, drag to new folder and download the new folder. Just worked for me in a test.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Make a new folder in Drive. Highlight all your files, drag to new folder and download the new folder. Just worked for me in a test.
I cannot highlight all my files. No option for that in Android app. Even if I could there is no option for downloading a folder without zipping it. When it zips you lose all your "modified on" dates which I use to organize my files.

Look to see if your downloaded folder is zipped.

I assume you are using windows version? As I said in op I am using Android app.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I did it on my windows PC, folder was not zipped. Its possible if the total volume on the folder exceeds a certain mb it has to zip it. I don't have a huge number of files.
I just checked and it did zip the file and the date was modified to todays date.

I guess not much you can do quickly to transfer in bulk.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is it possible to download all of my drive files (8gb of files) to my phone storage (I have penty of room)?

I don't want a zip download because then I lose the ability to organize files by date modified. In a zip they are all modified to today's date which is useless for me.

I can select a file to download from the Google Drive playstore app but there is no select all I can see.

I would like to download them to a folder I create ideally so they will be organized into an offline copy of my files which I can still organize by most recently modified.

Any ideas? I've read suggestions online but none seem to meet my specifications as described.

Thanks for your help!
Usually when you sign into same account that you had on device and computer you should see them in both places like Google photos and no need to download them

Reactions: methodman89

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Google Pics at all because all my files are Excel, Word or PowerPoint. Since both Google apps use the same sign in I would imagine if one is corrupted they both would be anyway.

I really want off line copies I can manipulate without Drive hassles I have been having.

In Windows Desktop Google Drive app I can copy maybe 100 files but it never syncs with all 800. Even in the browser version ctrl-A only chooses files in view. The hundreds that never get synced aren't selected. I have to sit there refreshing for a half hour to get them all in view.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't use Google Pics at all because all my files are Excel, Word or PowerPoint. Since both Google apps use the same sign in I would imagine if one is corrupted they both would be anyway.

I really want off line copies I can manipulate without Drive hassles I have been having.

In Windows Desktop Google Drive app I can copy maybe 100 files but it never syncs with all 800. Even in the browser version ctrl-A only chooses files in view. The hundreds that never get synced aren't selected. I have to sit there refreshing for a half hour to get them all in view.
You probably have to do it small amount at a time , not aware of another way since you wouldn't want copy to a drive and offload them to your device.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's easy getting the first hundred. The rest are torture. If I could get all of them to show up in the windows desktop folder I could just copy and paste!

There must be a way to sync them all into the folder.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's easy getting the first hundred. The rest are torture. If I could get all of them to show up in the windows desktop folder I could just copy and paste!

There must be a way to sync them all into the folder.
Hopefully someone can help further but it's a big task for the system when syncing big amounts of data all in one shot.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Even if I copy the first 200 files the next 200 won't sync unless I remove the first 200. I don't want to remove any. It's frustrating and I cannot believe it has never happed to anyone before.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I almost pulled it off...
It turns out you CAN select all files from Android Google Drive!
Select one file then tap the square with the dots around it in the ribbon at the top.

There is no download option BUT if you then unselect all the folders and just keep files selected there is a menu including download! I was thrilled.

I hit download and poof Google drive shut off with no error message. No download at all was forthcoming.

At least I found select all.

I found a 3 day old TechJunkie article that says you can download 50 files at a time from Android Google Drive as long as sum is under 2gb. Now I can "select all" , but 50 files would have to be 1 at a time. I could repeat this 17 times if I had the patience.

Last edited: