DROID MAXX: 4.4.4 Update (skipping 4.4.3)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's starting to look that way. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Maxx didn't get another update.

Since both Motorola and Verizon just updated the 2012 Droids to KitKat, I think that's unlikely. The update is coming. We just had some unfortunate bad luck.

I just wish they would've stopped before they changed the icons from blue to white. I can't stand the white icons. I can't tell if I'm connected to wifi or not. Is there an app out there that will let me change those icons back to blue like they should be.

A Google Engineer Explains Why KitKat Has White Status Bar Icons And Only Shows Connectivity In Quick Settings

I've seen a rebuttal from somebody who called that reasoning BS. I should have kept a link.. it was a very experienced Android developer who gave plenty of reasons why it could have been tweaked to completely eliminate and performance or battery issues. I think that the reason that people were confused about colors (and Google didn't want visibility to the rare Google Play connectivity issues) was the real reason.

By the way, I find the "blinking lights" to be more than "visual noise". Even Apple shows network activity on iOS - when you have network activity, there is a visual indicator of network activity. I'm glad that Moto/Verizon didn't drop that for the Droids when they changed the color. (By the way, I am fine with white icons so long as there is a gray when there is a loss of connectivity. That's still done with the Bluetooth icon, so clearly Google is ok with that as a visual indicator theme.)

So somewhere there was a gap and the team saw that 4.4.4's release as an opportunity to delay any further.

The simpler explanation is that Motorola decided that they didn't want to do two updates, particularly because the 4.4.4 update fixes a fairly serious security bug, They pulled the update for the Verizon and AT&T Moto X as well. Now they will have to so a second update for the unlocked and Sprint Moto X.

FYI. Your theory is completely wrong in regards to the Moto X and MAXX argument. Moto X and MAXX come from the same exact update and are exactly carrier driven as well. Which means, Verizon did approve Moto X updates, but not MAXX updates. And that may very well be due to exclusivity.

The Droids do have different software, particularly the Droid Zapp features. It's possible that Verizon wanted to add or change the pre-installed software set on the Droids which were not on the X. I have a theory, though, that Verizon really wanted the 2012 Droids updated to KitKat before the 2013 Droids received 4.4.2, and that was what caused the delay.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I believe your average phone user does not know or care what version of the operating system they are running. The want the phone to work, they want to do what they want, and if it doesn't than they go in to the store and upgrade.
It is just us 5% who even look or care what version is running on our phones. Or could even tell the difference between 4.2 and 4.3 or 4.4.
I love the Maxx and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality phone that is easy to use and lasts all day regardless of the amount of use. JMO

Posted via Android Central App

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
We all have non-disclosure statements at all of our jobs. But the items in the non-disclosure statements are case by case based on the companies. One of the most things in common with those statements is in regards to Public Companies and insider trading. Personally, telling people about a non-disclosure statement is like another way of stating "I'd like to plea the 5th"

As far as a phone getting updated, again that goes case by case with the different companies. But if you like, I can give you a general insight to how an upgrade process works. It works just like any software company/clientele interactions (not up and coming software companies). That means there is a standard SDLC (doesn't matter what methodology). Which means there is an approval process after development that is done by Verizon! So somewhere there was a gap and the team saw that 4.4.4's release as an opportunity to delay any further.

Now, it doesn't matter who's fault it really is. Why? The Consumer loses out. When things don't get agreed upon, the Consumer always loses out. Another great example is what is happening right now in the L.A. market for television. All DirectTV owners in Los Angeles can't even watch the Dodgers! Why? Because there is a billion dollar dispute between Time Warner Cable and DTV. Losers in this... Consumers! Especially those that love the NFL Sunday Ticket package and are Dodgers fans.

Talk NDS as much as you want, but most of them have all sorts of grey areas.

FYI. Your theory is completely wrong in regards to the Moto X and MAXX argument. Moto X and MAXX come from the same exact update and are exactly carrier driven as well. Which means, Verizon did approve Mo to X updates, but not MAXX updates. And that may very well be due to exclusivity.

I'm going to assume you don't work for Verizon, or if you do you aren't involved with any decision making about what phones get updated and when. Otherwise you would have said so. If I'm wrong, I hope you can be a little more specific than saying Verizon approves updates after the software has been submitted by the OEM, which most of us already know.

If I'm right and you aren't involved with Verizon's decisions to update a phone or not, then I still contend none of us really know what Verizon's plans are. Anybody who has been with Verizon for a long time and follows updates carefully knows they are notorious for some head scratching decisions regarding updates of phones of varying popularity and manufacturers.

About the non-disclosure agreement, I find it hard to believe that 'hey Motorola, don't tell customers the update is screwed up' or 'hey Motorola, don't tell customers we are sitting on this update for xyz reason' are not covered by the agreement. Have to believe Verizon wants to control any specific information about updates that might make it to customers.

But you are right, ultimately the customers are the losers, and possibly the OEM. I'm sure OEMs are none too thrilled when Verizon sits on what the OEM believes is a working update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if we will see Android L on this device?

There is no official comment from Motorola or Verizon, no. Motorola did say at one point that they intended to provide upgrades for up to 24 months for their 2013 devices, and the 2012 Droids recently received the KitKat update, right around 19 months after release - so maybe that's a good sign that the 2013 Droids will get 5.0. But, the upgrade schedule is decided upon by Verizon ultimately.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to assume you don't work for Verizon, or if you do you aren't involved with any decision making about what phones get updated and when. Otherwise you would have said so. If I'm wrong, I hope you can be a little more specific than saying Verizon approves updates after the software has been submitted by the OEM, which most of us already know.

If I'm right and you aren't involved with Verizon's decisions to update a phone or not, then I still contend none of us really know what Verizon's plans are. Anybody who has been with Verizon for a long time and follows updates carefully knows they are notorious for some head scratching decisions regarding updates of phones of varying popularity and manufacturers.

About the non-disclosure agreement, I find it hard to believe that 'hey Motorola, don't tell customers the update is screwed up' or 'hey Motorola, don't tell customers we are sitting on this update for xyz reason' are not covered by the agreement. Have to believe Verizon wants to control any specific information about updates that might make it to customers.

But you are right, ultimately the customers are the losers, and possibly the OEM. I'm sure OEMs are none too thrilled when Verizon sits on what the OEM believes is a working update.

From what I've learned from insiders with knowledge of the update process with the DROID BIONIC/DROID RAZR/DROID 4, Motorola tests an update. When it has passed all of Motorola's tests, they submit it to Verizon. Verizon then does their own testing. If Verizon finds one issue, they stop and send it back instead of finishing their tests and sending one huge report. I'm not sure if this has changed since then. But remember, Motorola did get an update to the Moto X (for 4.4 KitKat) out for the Verizon models rather quickly.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I've learned from insiders with knowledge of the update process with the DROID BIONIC/DROID RAZR/DROID 4, Motorola tests an update. When it has passed all of Motorola's tests, they submit it to Verizon. Verizon then does their own testing. If Verizon finds one issue, they stop and send it back instead of finishing their tests and sending one huge report. I'm not sure if this has changed since then. But remember, Motorola did get an update to the Moto X (for 4.4 KitKat) out for the Verizon models rather quickly.

That is such a waste. It's like a copy editor editing a story written by a news reporter, finding a typo, and telling the reporter to comb back over his story. That's not how to do it. You look the whole thing over, make your list of questions/concerns, then address them all at once. It's logical and time-saving.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That is such a waste. It's like a copy editor editing a story written by a news reporter, finding a typo, and telling the reporter to comb back over his story. That's not how to do it. You look the whole thing over, make your list of questions/concerns, then address them all at once. It's logical and time-saving.

Same reaction when I heard this. I don't know if this is still the case.