Droid X or Dell Streak?

Chewie18

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade to either the Droid X or the Dell Streak but I can't seem to make up my mind.

I would like the front facing camera but I also like the high quality camcorder.

What do you guys think?

bc6droid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If VZW had the Dell Streak Id get the Streak, I really like the form factor of the Streak. But Im real happy Im getting the X.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Where I do no think the X is too big but it is close the streak goes into that too big area atleast to me. And that is really the choice that needs to be made is it too big for you? And since the streak will not be on Verizon but AT&T are you changing carriers to get either phone? And if you are is it worth it to change for a phone?

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
What kind of question is this? These are two COMPLETELY different devices.

If you're looking for a device that is more of a tablet with the guts of a netbook, than the Dell Streak is up your alley. If you are looking for a well groomed CELLPHONE that has great capabilities for its usage, than go with the Droid X.

Besides, isn't there a pretty big price difference as well?

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Besides, isn't there a pretty big price difference as well?

Not if you're buying the X for the out of contract price. In that case I think the Streak might end up being cheaper.

But anyways, I think the X might actually be a little bit of a more powerful device. I don't think the Streak has a 1GHz processor. Also, though I like the Streak's UI, I think it's a little more clutter and less customizable than XBlur has been shown to be.

All in all, Jubba is right, two totally different devices. I think if the Streak had a 8" or 9" screen, I would buy it as a dedicated tablet PC, but it's more of a giant cell phone so screw it.

EDIT: I image talking into the Streak would look a little like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TSprF1Zpjw

EDIT 2: Maybe this is more accurate http://nickshell1983.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/zmorris.jpg

Last edited:

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Not if you're buying the X for the out of contract price. In that case I think the Streak might end up being cheaper.

But anyways, I think the X might actually be a little bit of a more powerful device. I don't think the Streak has a 1GHz processor. Also, though I like the Streak's UI, I think it's a little more clutter and less customizable than XBlur has been shown to be.

All in all, Jubba is right, two totally different devices. I think if the Streak had a 8" or 9" screen, I would buy it as a dedicated tablet PC, but it's more of a giant cell phone so screw it.

EDIT: I image talking into the Streak would look a little like this: YouTube - Trigger Happy TV - Phone + Toilet

Hahahah, I miss TriggerHappyTV.

Engadget has a pretty decent review of the Streak, and I have to say, you weren't far off when you mentioned what it would look like talking into the device...

Dell Streak review -- Engadget

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
How big is the Streak compared to the Droid X? I can't find the dimensions of the Streak.

65.2 x 127.5 x 9.9 for the droidX
79.1 x 152.9 x 10 for the streak

Which is approx .5 X 1 in bigger or about 20%.
So it is quite abit bigger really.

Last edited:

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
OIC, well that's good. The video I watched today of the Streak, it really seemed bigger and actually more bundlesome than an X. I mean, it seems more like a tablet than a Smartphone.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
It really is a mini tablet. I know I have held the EVO since I was worried that it might be too big but it felt ok. And since the X is really about the same size as it. I do not think I want bigger really. Since I do use it as a phone at times and my bluetooth does die from time to time as well. Could not think of holding that thing up to my head on a call. Would be as bad as the old days with the brick phones. Yes I remember those days and used them as well.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I went by a store to see the Evo and it's very comfortable. That Streak looks to me like it's over the top. But the dood seemed to like it, so that's what counts.

vancamp

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to see is Motorola come out with a tablet that's effectively ~3 Droid X's side-by-side. It could even still have the "hump" as a handle.

TYagoto

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how far this thread has gone but if you seriously had to ask this question I think you are confused. At this point if you like these completely different form factors then get them both. If not get the Droid X because it is much more practical as a Phone lol. Keep in mind you are getting a phone. The streak was mentioned as being awkward to talk on the phone with so just keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

bandteeskinnyjeans

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Dell Streak vs. Droid X

So I'm wondering on which one to get too. But I think I'm gonna go with the Dell Streak, here's why.

The Price: I would be getting either of them unlocked. The Dell Streak is only like $10 less expensive than the Droid X but To have a pre-paid plan on Verizon is more expensive than a T-Mobile pre-paid plan. The Dell Streak may be sim locked to AT&T but I'm gonna use a rebel sim to make it T-Mobile. I could just flash the Droid X over to Cricket but it wouldn't get as much service at T-Mobile I be

The Size: The Dell Streak can be too big for some people but it's not for me. I love playing movies, and going on the web with my mobile devices and having this big of screen is just made for it. I'm also gonna be using it for a gps so in my opinion a bigger gps is better. It's actually small enough to fit in a lot of pant pockets. They say the Dell streak is .08mm thicker than the Droid X but they're not counting the Camera part of the Droid X, it is around 16mm, a lot thicker than the Dell Streak at 9.98mm. But to give credit to Motorola it is 9.9mm thick every where except for the camera area.

The Battery Life: So pretty much the Droid X tops with the battery life of 7 hours and 42 minutes of going on the web continuously, but the Dell Streak is only 7 minutes shorter than the Droid X. I figure for a device with a bigger screen and a less efficient processor that it's better, plus when tested the Droid X had Android 2.2 compared to the Dell Streak running with 1.6, but don't worry, there's word about the US version being updated to 2.2 sometime soon.

The Speed: Now I'm not sure how they compare when it comes to the OS speed, but since they both have 1gh processors I figure they're pretty close. But the thing is the Droid X runs on Verizons 3G network, while the Dell Streak with a rebel sim can run on T-Mobiles HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, which I believe is considered 3.5G, correct me if I'm wrong please.

The Cameras: Yes I do know that the Droid X has more megapixels with it's 8mp camera compared to 5mp, and the Droid X probably does take slightly better pictures than the Dell Streak. But the Dell Streak with the Android 2.1 update(which can put on the US version with the instructions on streaksmart.com) can take HD video just like the Droid X. Now the video taking with the update is a draw with video taking, but the front facing vga camera is what wins it for me. with that camera I can use Skype and video chat with other people using Skype for free. By the way Skype works on wifi and over 3G, unlike what the Iphone does with facetime which only works over wifi.

The Screen: Yes I already mentioned how I like the bigger screen. But I also like the fact that the Dell Streak has Gorilla Glass protecting it. This glass is said to be the strongest for protecting your devices screens. Another plus with the Dell Streak is that it is said to have a more sensitive screen than the Iphone. I read a review once where the people had to check if they were actually touching the screen(I'm sorry but I don't know right now what review said that). Now I'm not saying that the Droid X isn't sensitive but I never heard anything about it being more sensitive than the Iphone.

Other things you should know: I am not comparing the prices of the Dell Streak on contract with AT&T and the Droid X on Contract with Verizon because I hate contracts, but that's just me. If I couldn't use a rebel sim with the Dell Streak to use it on T-Mobile I would forget it and buy an Unlocked Droid X that I would flash to Cricket. I'd just have to deal with the less amount of service. Now the Droid X does have WLAN 802.11 b/g/n wifi compared to the Dell Streaks WLAN 802.11 b/g. The extra n does supposedly ad a little range and speed but it lacks the security that g has, the iphone 3gs didn't have n so i don't think it'll make too terrible of a difference. Plus g is a lot more common to find than n wifi. People may think that the Dell Streak having around 50 pixels less length wise than the Droid X and having a bigger screen might make it's screen less crisp but I hear that the Dell Streaks screen looks amazing despite it's less pixel density. To support this rumor I have a Samsung Rogue with a 3.1 inch screen and the same amount of pixels as the Dell Streak, but with all those pixels compacted into a 3.1 inch screen you'd think that it would look crisper than the Droid X's 4.3 inch screen and only around 50 more pixels length wise. But I bet you that the Droid X's screen would kick my phones butt when it comes to crispness especially since the Samsung Rogue isn't as high end of a device, it's not even a smart phone, not worth the money the Droid X is worth.

I would like to add one more thing. Once I get my Dell Streak I will be rooting it(I think this is basically hacking it), and updating it to Android 2.1. A lot of people are turned away form the Dell streak by it's outdated software, But by going to streaksmart.com as i mentioned before you can find out how to update it without doing any harm to the device. This is only a temporary fix though for me until the US version gets it's rumored Android 2.2 update. You can find most of the information I just gave you about the Dell Streak at streaksmart.com. I absolutely love this site. I hope that this was helpful to you and please ask me any questions cause I've done a lot of research on this device.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Love my Streak. Absolutely love it. Made 2 youtube videos sharing my thoughts. JDMiPhoner if your interested in watching.

1ghz btw

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fox2024