Easy Root for Thunderbolt?

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your future Rooting and ROMing ventures... 2 pieces of advice for you my friend... RULE 1: READ READ READ and the READ some more before you do anything.... RULE 2: berfore you flash a new ROM, make a nandroid backup... Read Cyber's sticky: How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt. Have fun and welcome to the community

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good luck with your future Rooting and ROMing ventures... 2 pieces of advice for you my friend... RULE 1: READ READ READ and the READ some more before you do anything.... RULE 2: berfore you flash a new ROM, make a nandroid backup... Read Cyber's sticky: How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt. Have fun and welcome to the community

Rule 3: ask questions here if you can't find an answer about something...even if you think it's a total noob question. Everyone here is very helpful, and you'll usually get answer pretty quickly.

Hey, I asked some REALLY noob-ish questions at first, and within a few weeks I was writing tutorials and instructing people on how to flash radios....

Reactions: ssethv

Zeutron

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack here, but is there a guide on the basics of radios, how the work and what exactly you are doing when installing one?

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
There is 2 ways to flash(remember im a newbie but this has worked great for me) i have read A LOT...

1)Download ROM MANAGER there are ROMs there u can flash..

What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card.open ROM MANAGER, go to INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD, scroll down select the ROM u downloaded, wait a few mintues and enjoy...

2) flash through RECOVERY.... (restart phone hold power and vol down)

{What i do is download the ROM u want to flash connect phone to cpu with usb in DISK DRIVE mode. drag the ROM to ur sd card. restart phone vol down go, select RECOVERY then to go to sd card pick the name of the ROM then press power to start. wait a few minutes n enjoy..}

How to flash depends on the ROM itself. both ways will work.. through ROM MANAGER u might have some apps that dont open properly.

Hope this work for you it has worked for me after fooling around with it. just would like to pass around info i found. its really not that hard. this process takes about 10 min either way....

I don't recommend flashing through ROM Manager, it can and will cause problems. I only use it for clockworkmod recovery.

Again follow Cyber Warrior's guide and you should be good to go. Always wipe data/caches when flashing to a different ROM. Wiping more than once is even better. I even clear data upgrading to a new version of the same ROM sometimes. As long as you have the right backup tools it shouldn't be a problem, and don't restore system data to a new ROM!

Check your md5's, and pay special attention to radio files. Remove them from your sd card as soon as you can once flashed.

Rules to live by ;)

Bakafish

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. Just got the thunderbolt a few days ago and its my first andriod. I might sound like a total noob but whats rooting do? will it help my issue with battery life? if i do choose to root, how should i do it? Help! Thanks.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Read this: http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

And yes, with an undervolted kernel you will improve your battery life over stock. the biggest factor though is your signal quality. I would recommend familiarizing yourself with how the phone works before you decide to root. It takes some time and effort to make sure you do things right to avoid problems.

There are guides here to get you started once you decide the time is right. Just remember to follow directions closely and read, read, read some more. Good luck

jerzeedevl

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people wouldn't want to root their phone. Stock Thunderbolt is garbage. Battery is the worst of all time, there is soooo much crap that comes from vzw, and you can't watch netflix unless its rooted. Root the phone and you'll be peachy. This is the first time I have ever rooted a phone and I followed the steps on this site using the command screen and all that. It was cake. Took an hour tops. Pick a rom and kernel based on other people's reviews and see what you like. The combos are almost never ending. I'm on my 4th rom because I want to try all of them and see what I like best. So far I'm digging GB because I can watch netflix on it....HOLLA!!!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people wouldn't want to root their phone. Stock Thunderbolt is garbage. Battery is the worst of all time, there is soooo much crap that comes from vzw, and you can't watch netflix unless its rooted. Root the phone and you'll be peachy. This is the first time I have ever rooted a phone and I followed the steps on this site using the command screen and all that. It was cake. Took an hour tops. Pick a rom and kernel based on other people's reviews and see what you like. The combos are almost never ending. I'm on my 4th rom because I want to try all of them and see what I like best. So far I'm digging GB because I can watch netflix on it....HOLLA!!!

Alot of people feel this way.

Welcome to the dark side.

May the schwartz be with you haha.

Bakafish

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
so i ve been reading , reading and reading. i want to root soon and use my TB to the max. just a lil confused about the whole process of rooting and flashing ROMS. i first root then flash a ROM right? when do i backup? where do i download roms from? help? thanks.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
the auto-root posted right on the forums here worked GREAT. just follow prompts EXACTLY and it worked perfect. took like 10 mins but did all the adb work for me.

Reactions: Bakafish

drmanhattan57

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Plus one on auto root. It takes longer to download the file then it does to do to process just read and follow the fn directions and prompts to a t

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
so i ve been reading , reading and reading. i want to root soon and use my TB to the max. just a lil confused about the whole process of rooting and flashing ROMS. i first root then flash a ROM right? when do i backup? where do i download roms from? help? thanks.

In the rooting subforum, there is a stickied post written by Cyber Warrior that provides an excellent step-by-step explanation of the backup and ROM flashing process. Some ROMs are available through download links in threads in the rooting subforum here. More ROMs are available in the Android development section of the forums at xda-developers.com.

The important thing is to take the time to educate yourself about the process before diving in. Good luck.

Bakafish

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded the Auto Root last night. Gonna give rooting a try today after work. any suggestions on a good ROM to use? and whats the best way to change up my theme to more custom ones?

Bakafish

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
so i have the drivers installed and auto root on my comp. tried starting the root but it doesnt recognize my phone. i have debugging on and awake mode on. HELP!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz