eleted google account and all contacts are gone, wtf??

mnbvcxz358

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So I was having problems with loggin into my google account and the only way I found that I could log in was to remove my google account and re-add it. But after I did that, all of my contacts were deleted. Is there a way I can save contacts onto the SIM or on the memory card itself? I dont want everything gone just because I delete a google account.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So I was having problems with loggin into my google account and the only way I found that I could log in was to remove my google account and re-add it. But after I did that, all of my contacts were deleted. Is there a way I can save contacts onto the SIM or on the memory card itself? I dont want everything gone just because I delete a google account.

They were deleted probably because you owned an android device prior to this phone and they were backed up to google. When you made the switch they just appeared, correct?

To be honest, im not really sure how you would save them right to contacts locally on this phone...

EDiT: I actually dont think you can, they are all tied to Google and backed up on their servers. I dont see an option anywhere to add to just local contacts.

mnbvcxz358

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
^^ No. The nexus is my first android phone and I have never saved or imported any contacts from anywhere. All contacts on my Nexus were manually added. So it was a pain to add all my contacts again!

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
^^ No. The nexus is my first android phone and I have never saved or imported any contacts from anywhere. All contacts on my Nexus were manually added. So it was a pain to add all my contacts again!

Did u add them even though you arent connected to a gmail account? are you connected to any type of account that may have an address book?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I added my contacts after I set up my google account on the phone.

well no I mean were you able to add contacts after removing your google account? or did you just put your google account back on your phone?

Sorry, a litlte bit of confusion there.

Basically what it comes down to is no, I dont think that there is a way to have contacts on your Nexus without being synchronized to either your google account or another account that also may have an address book (like an exchange email account for example)

mnbvcxz358

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
well no I mean were you able to add contacts after removing your google account? or did you just put your google account back on your phone?

Sorry, a litlte bit of confusion there.

Basically what it comes down to is no, I dont think that there is a way to have contacts on your Nexus without being synchronized to either your google account or another account that also may have an address book (like an exchange email account for example)

I didnt try adding contacts after I deleted my google acount. I'm wondering if this can be done? Can anyone verify? I dont want to delete my google account and then have all my contacts dissappear again.

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is correctly linked to your GMail account, and it is all working, log into to the account on line (from a regular computer), and all the contacts will be there. You can add and edit them there, and they will be synced to your phone.

Since you were having problems logging into your Google account, sounds like you never got logged in, so your contacts were not synced. They are saved by syncing them to the GMail account.

mnbvcxz358

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is correctly linked to your GMail account, and it is all working, log into to the account on line (from a regular computer), and all the contacts will be there. You can add and edit them there, and they will be synced to your phone.

Since you were having problems logging into your Google account, sounds like you never got logged in, so your contacts were not synced. They are saved by syncing them to the GMail account.

I logged into my gmail from a computer and none of my phone contacts are there. It should be under mail>contacts right?

Anyhow, I decided to create another google account on the phone to test. At first I used the gmail app but after i set it up, it would try to sync forever without ever being able to retrieve any email. So I setup that same account using just the mail app (not the gmail app) and everything worked fine. I went back and set it back up using the gmail app and it finally decided to sync. Then I tried to import my contacts from my other google account into this one from settings>import/export>import from storage>selecting other google account. But it didnt import anything. So I tried importing from VZ Backup. Still nothing. But when I went to go look at my contact list on my first google account, every contact has been duplicated 3 times! (my contact list has every contact listed 3 times) I've loved this phone ever since I got it 2 weeks after launch. I've not had any of the battery problems, signal issues or any other ones, but this one issue is driving me crazy! I was this close to smashing this phone...

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I logged into my gmail from a computer and none of my phone contacts are there. It should be under mail>contacts right?

Anyhow, I decided to create another google account on the phone to test. At first I used the gmail app but after i set it up, it would try to sync forever without ever being able to retrieve any email. So I setup that same account using just the mail app (not the gmail app) and everything worked fine. I went back and set it back up using the gmail app and it finally decided to sync. Then I tried to import my contacts from my other google account into this one from settings>import/export>import from storage>selecting other google account. But it didnt import anything. So I tried importing from VZ Backup. Still nothing. But when I went to go look at my contact list on my first google account, every contact has been duplicated 3 times! (my contact list has every contact listed 3 times) I've loved this phone ever since I got it 2 weeks after launch. I've not had any of the battery problems, signal issues or any other ones, but this one issue is driving me crazy! I was this close to smashing this phone...

www.Google.com/contacts

Add or edit your contacts here!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused as to how it works but I think you back up your Google contacts (using Verizon back up) and in theory they will always be they're living and backed up in the ether.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
On your GN if you go to contacts and hit the 3 dots in the bottom corner and go to Accounts, do you see your Google Account and is Sync ON? Also is the blue box in the corner turned to ON?

Also Verizon Backup has nothing to do with Google as far as I know, 2 separate servers/clouds storing your data. I have it disabled on mine. I added most of my contacts by going to google.com/contacts and they automatically synced to my phone within seconds. I had a Pre+ before this and half my contacts were saved to my Palm profile and not my Google account so I had to do this the day I got my GN.