Email notification sounds no longer work, all other notifications are ok.

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
The past 2 days the incoming email notification sounds have gone quiet. All others are working as expected. The status bar icon still displays, but I also noticed that the email icon is not in the AOD screen anymore either. I have tried the following:
restarted the device several times. Reinstalled the email app (Edison Email) , installed 2 previous versions, uninstalled and went to the Samsung email app. All have the same result... No email sound !! I've checked all the app, notification and system settings and they are all the same as always... I am out of ideas at this point, hoping somebody has any other thoughts??

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Try this, since you said the status bar notification still shows. Swipe down the email notification from bar, swipe right to show the notification and gear. Touch the gear icon then toggle the sound icon.

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Try this, since you said the status bar notification still shows. Swipe down the email notification from bar, swipe right to show the notification and gear. Touch the gear icon then toggle the sound icon.

Thanks for your help Werkx... I tried what you suggested. The alert was selected for sound. That was a great idea tho, I didn't remember that trick from the status bar. ????????????. I am completely stumped by this one. All the other notifications are working normal, and the problem persists with TWO separate email apps! WTH?

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Do you use DND ? Any power saving mode for the device not the app ?

I do use DND only after 9:30 pm and off again 6am. I have the power saving and battery optimizing off. One thing I did was to check to see what app updates were made recently and I found this Google app called "Android system intelligence" that I know I did not update manually 2 days ago. I uninstalled the update and now the Gmail notifications work normally, but not the yahoo mail (which is my main email). Something really weird going on either at system level or on the email server side. Everything works fine on my Galaxy S7..

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I think I found it! When I pulled down the notification top bar I saw that the yahoo email notification was a silent notification. I tapped the "X" above it and then it changed to the regular notification tab. I resent a few test emails and it is working fine again. I'm not sure how that happened or why it was set up to do that but at least it is solved! Thanks to everyone for the help with this issue, much appreciated!

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad you found it. Are you going to reinstall the update to the Google app 'Android system intelligence'?

I usually let them happen and not think twice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I do use DND only after 9:30 pm and off again 6am. I have the power saving and battery optimizing off. One thing I did was to check to see what app updates were made recently and I found this Google app called "Android system intelligence" that I know I did not update manually 2 days ago. I uninstalled the update and now the Gmail notifications work normally, but not the yahoo mail (which is my main email). Something really weird going on either at system level or on the email server side. Everything works fine on my Galaxy S7..
Thats great
I think I found it! When I pulled down the notification top bar I saw that the yahoo email notification was a silent notification. I tapped the "X" above it and then it changed to the regular notification tab. I resent a few test emails and it is working fine again. I'm not sure how that happened or why it was set up to do that but at least it is solved! Thanks to everyone for the help with this issue, much appreciated!
Maybe you had inadvertently snooze it at one point in notification panel?

Just TM

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Lost email notifications as well. switched back to S8, no better. checked all settings nothing seems off.
Using Rogers. Will keep digging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco