Enquiries on first time using Android Auto

johndoe7999

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello all

First time using Android Auto,

First, I have already external GPS in the car that came with the Android player but Android Auto requires my mobile GPS and why? Is there a way for Android Auto to use the external GPS?

Second, why does Android Auto switches on my mobile Wi-Fi and why

Many thanks to all for your replies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! Your head unit's navigation system cannot access a connected mobile device's and viceversa (that's not how Android Auto nor Apple CarPlay are designed for security reasons). Android Auto relies COMPLETELY on your connected device (mobile data, GPS, map information, media audio, etc.). The only thing the head unit handles is the audio connection to the speakers, screen, and/or steering wheel controls.

If you're using Android Auto wirelessly, this uses both a local WiFi connection (for 'video' transmission like the maps being displayed, media album art, etc.) as well as BT for audio. If you're using AA wired, the first is done via the USB connection, although AA might try to use WiFi to check for AA Wireless connections (you should be able to disable this in the Android Auto settings).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
(you should be able to disable this in the Android Auto settings).

You can only disable wireless if you've enabled developer settings in Android Auto now. They took that out of the main app.

In your phone's settings, search for “Android Auto.” (under "connected devices" in Samsung phones)
Once you find the setting, tap it and you should find yourself in the Android Auto app.
Scroll down and tap Version 10 times.
Hit OK.

Reactions: SpookDroid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej