Time change when Android Auto starts

MtnJim74

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Ok, here is an odd one.
Samsung S23Ultra Do not disturb 9_.9, Android 14, Mazda6 2018.

Here's the thing, about 3 weeks ago it started. I stream audio from my phone to the Mazda. Now most of the time (~90%) when Android Auto starts my phone's time resets to an early morning time, e. g. from 10 AM Pacific to 02:00, thereby kicking on Do not Disturb. I compared times and apparently Android thinks I'm in Hong Kong. Sometimes the time resets correctly in about 2-5 minutes other times it doesn't reset until I park and Auto exits. I checked the Mazda's GPS and it's set correctly. I spoke to the Mazda dealer and they said it's an Android issue.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas?

TIA
Jim

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Wow that's odd. Any chance you can play around with your car's settings or its head unit settings, for it to not take time updates from the car's GPS? My car's clock settings says something about using GPS time or not. I have no idea what that actually means in my case because apart from whatever maps my head unit might display from Android Auto or Apple Car Play from a connected phone, the car does not seem to have any integrated maps, compass or GPS features. So, I normally have the car's "update clock from GPS" set to off. I wouldn't have imagined a phone would take a time sync from a car (as opposed to from a carrier network, for example), but who knows.

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Check that automatic date/time is selected.
Do this through Settings > System > Date & time. Select the button next to Set time automatically to trigger it.
If this is already turned on, turn it off, restart your phone, and then turn it back on.

MtnJim74

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Wow that's odd. Any chance you can play around with your car's settings or its head unit settings, for it to not take time updates from the car's GPS? My car's clock settings says something about using GPS time or not. I have no idea what that actually means in my case because apart from whatever maps my head unit might display from Android Auto or Apple Car Play from a connected phone, the car does not seem to have any integrated maps, compass or GPS features. So, I normally have the car's "update clock from GPS" set to off. I wouldn't have imagined a phone would take a time sync from a car (as opposed to from a carrier network, for example), but who knows.
Thanks, but the car's GPS setting is in the right time zone.

MtnJim74

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Check that automatic date/time is selected.
Do this through Settings > System > Date & time. Select the button next to Set time automatically to trigger it.
If this is already turned on, turn it off, restart your phone, and then turn it back on.
Thanks, I'll try that but I won't be in my car until Monday. I'll let you know then.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Try also going to settings>apps>Android Auto tap it >permission is location on?
Scroll down further to modify system settings is it toggled on? If so turn it off 1815015947.jpg504893299.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter