Epic screen freeze?

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Recently my stock epic has occasionally frozen. The screen color changes slightly with a few lines running through it although I can still read the text that was on the screen. There seems to be nothing I can do but take out the battery and reboot. Does anyone know what is going on? It isn't particularly hot when this happens btw.

sent via Tapatalk on my Epic 4G

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
*bump*

Nobody is having this issue?

Not exactly a common issue. It could be software related. I would do a factory restore, and if its still doing it afterward (it's the first thing service would do anyways), than It's quite likely a hardware issue. Doesn't have to be running hot to be broken.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually leaning more towards a possibly not so good possibility. My first instinct is a bad LCD due to the miscoloration and the lines on the screen. However, that coupled with the freezing also indicates the possibility of liquid damage in the device.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually leaning more towards a possibly not so good possibility. My first instinct is a bad LCD due to the miscoloration and the lines on the screen. However, that coupled with the freezing also indicates the possibility of liquid damage in the device.

It hasn't done it for a few day now. When you say liquid do you mean water or the liquid in the lcd display?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It hasn't done it for a few day now. When you say liquid do you mean water or the liquid in the lcd display?

Water damage is what he means... Especially since the Epic has Samsungs SAMOLED screen, we don't have LCD displays. I agree that it's most likely hardware, but I won't go as far as to say what the root cause could be.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I see. The only thing I can think of is it was sitting in the bathroom while I was taking a steamy shower the other day. I haven't done that since and have had no more probems yet.

bizzoi#AC

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me yesterday after heavy game usage and surfing the web. I am confused about what happen this morning when i woke up, I unplug my phone from the charger and i was looking at my sexy fish tank live wallpaper and then it froze up. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with low memory but i tend to clear my ram alot before using a app and our phone would be even FASTER if we find a way to use all 512 of the ram instead of only 338 max.....

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
About the same time I also had mine do this did it 2 times in one day and never again since.

My phone has never been wet and it was a nice day not hot or cold it was odd the way it locked up with a slight color change and 2 lines...

I am running acs 1.1.1 I think it was something to do with the radio because I had lots internet usage going on... (downloading a 6gb movie from my ftp server) phone did not feel hot but was also playing a flash video so I guess it could have been that as well...

Who knows if min does it again I will call sprint and make them send me a new one...

Last edited:

Monkatron

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Recently my stock epic has occasionally frozen. The screen color changes slightly with a few lines running through it although I can still read the text that was on the screen. There seems to be nothing I can do but take out the battery and reboot. Does anyone know what is going on? It isn't particularly hot when this happens btw.

Having the same problem, exactly. It does feel warm, but I'm not sure of the correlation. There has been no water damage, or anything close to it.

LoneWolf545

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

That's one of several problems I've been having with my Epic, it's a refurbished one after my original had some liquid damage and had to be replaced, it'll lock up randomly or go into a series of force closes. Since I got my replacement just as EC05 came out, I haven't been able to positively identify it as a hardware or software issue. Now that my daughter is no longer playing softball, I may be able to go back to a stock ROM and see if it's more stable, but it's one reason I've been eagerly awaiting a new, stable, software release.

cyberprashant

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
new samsung epic 4g. comes with stock froyo ec05. freezing about once a day or once every other day. usually when battery low and sending sms.

is this common? no special mods - had juicedefender but issue was happening before that. I use live wallpapers. no other special mods.

Should I get a replacement? would factory reset help? should I reflash the ec05 firmware using odin? since it's new I'm leaning towards a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz