News Evernote effectively kills off its free plan — I'm switching to one of these alternatives

Golfnut1221

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I left Evernote years ago and went to Joplin, but now firmly on Obsidian. I use the free tier. Use it on all my devices and use an app called DriveSync that syncs my changes to Google Drive. I don't take alot of notes so I manually sync each device when I make changes, but it includes an autosync setting that you can schedule by minute, hour or a custom schedule. Thereby I eliminate the need for the $8/month charge for syncing to each device. (y)

Also, there are many plug-ins you can add. I use one to PW protect my vault, one that can encrypt specific folders, etc. so you can make it as private as you want. Frequent updates, lots of community plug-ins.

Reactions: BEaRebel

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you @Android Central news
& thx @Golfnut1221 for the info !
Was avid EN user. (Myeah, premium since '10).
Looked at "Obsidian" but moving over 27,000 notes could prove challenging.
Adding to @minor4326 s Query, does anyone have ideas in moving notes? Enex imports not fun
(Do not even open Windows Laptop anymore).

I'd love to think "Bending Spoons" is taking EN in the right direction, but
Flux is evident.

There are Moments we'll need to plan for long term safe keeping... this is what EN is teaching me.
(Nana's voice messages, Hello).

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Meh...I haven't used Evernote. Microsoft OneNote and Whiteboard meets all of my needs. I just wish Microsoft would release an Android version of Journal.

R. N.

Dec 2, 2023
Visit site
Take a look at TheBrain at thebrain.com this apps is awesome and is my landing spot after leaving Evernote. I've been an Evernote user from the beginning. It's hard to watch this slow motion train wreck that is Evernote. Why on earth would I spend $129 for Evernote when I can get Office 365 with 1TB of storage and all of the Microsoft productivity apps for about the same price or less?

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Take a look at TheBrain at thebrain.com this apps is awesome and is my landing spot after leaving Evernote. I've been an Evernote user from the beginning. It's hard to watch this slow motion train wreck that is Evernote. Why on earth would I spend $129 for Evernote when I can get Office 365 with 1TB of storage and all of the Microsoft productivity apps for about the same price or less?
I know, right? I pay $70/year or M365 Family. That is for 6 users, each user gets 1TB of OneDrive, and all of the Office apps (bells and whistles included).

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
There is no Windows PC version for Google Keep, which severely limits it.

Microsoft Journal is an excellent note taking app. Unfortunately, there's is no Android or iOS version, which severely limits it.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, Joplin can sync to DropBox, OneDrive, or local filesystem (that is synced to a cloud service) for free.

I've switched my notes from UpNote, SimpleNote, and OneNote to Joplin because the files are usable outside of the app if needed.

I'd love to have a web version though,

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
In any case, I don't see Evernote staying in business for much longer with its business model.

Samsung, Google, Apple, and Microsoft have the best alternatives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia