EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It looks like I'll be defecting to Android soon. I've been a WebOS faithful who has patiently waited for a new Pre to come to Sprint. I want to keep Sprint as my carrier as AT&T coverage stinks in my area. I'm intrigued by the HTC Evo 3D. What other Sprint phones should I be keeping an eye out for in the coming months? Any good Sprint phones with a physical keyboard?

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's a simple, "I'll get razzed for not knowing, or finding it" kind of thing.

How can I delete home pages if I don't want all 5 or 6 or whatever it is?

For piece of mind, I'd still like to have "cards" to move, swipe to and from and send away if I wanted. I wonder how long before someone comes up with a WebOS simulated interface for Android? Hint, hint. :D

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It looks like I'll be defecting to Android soon. I've been a WebOS faithful who has patiently waited for a new Pre to come to Sprint. I want to keep Sprint as my carrier as AT&T coverage stinks in my area. I'm intrigued by the HTC Evo 3D. What other Sprint phones should I be keeping an eye out for in the coming months? Any good Sprint phones with a physical keyboard?
Motorola Photon is coming out soon. It should at least be on your list to consider. For phones rocking the physical keyboard, the Evo Shift is a nice phone, but it's not a high-end powerhouse if that's what you're looking for. There should be the Samsung Epic 2 coming out in the near future as well. It will be a slight upgrade to the original Epic, but not a full upgrade to Galaxy 2-level hardware.

flipcap22

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Palm- since August '09. I've had to replace it once because of a broken ear piece. My family knows me as the Palm guy since I've been a Palm OS fan since the Handspring Visor. Have had Palms, Sony Clies and Treos, always advocating for Palm.

Been on Sprint (no annual contract) since 2000 and have a 25% service discount on a family plan, so I really don't want to leave Sprint. I've been looking at the new EVO 3D and doing a lot of research on the phone, as well as the Samsung SII. I like the 3D and can really see myself taking short video clips or pics of my family. I can also finally get slingplayer back on my phone as I was constantly waiting for them to make a player for webos. The only thing that's stopping me is that it seems such a big change to me since I've only used palmos/webos (at least on my phones) all these years and really like the UI of webos.

The news of Sprint getting rid of their instant rebates is pushing me even further to get the EVO 3D soon. Decisions, decisions!

BTW, has anyone bought there's through Amazon wireless? I tried to simulate buying it there and it asks me to choose a plan. I have 5 phones on my family plan and don't want to mess anything up.

sundevil98

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you can pick a plan for the phone on Amazon without messing anything up... You'd have to confirm a purchase before anything is changed on your account.

I just got my Evo 3D two days ago (upgrade from a release date Pre minus).

I love the phone, but I will say this... The UI for Android is not nearly as intuitive as WebOS is/was. There are a lot of things I'm not sure how to do yet (delete text conversations for one) that were easy to do in WebOS.

I'm sure it's just a matter of spending some more time with the phone or maybe doing some customizing (there is a wave launcher available that looks just like the WebOS wave launcher - something I rarely used though). But, out of the box WebOS was/is a "better" OS.

However, the upside is that there are a TON of apps for this phone. I too am digging the 3D. As "gimicky" as it might be, it's a nice bonus feature.

Palm/HP really dropped the ball for the developer's on WebOS... I think that's the one thing that will be the death of WebOS. I see their only saving grace to be licensing the phone so that it can find more homes than just a couple of (poorly executed) devices.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you can pick a plan for the phone on Amazon without messing anything up... You'd have to confirm a purchase before anything is changed on your account.

I just got my Evo 3D two days ago (upgrade from a release date Pre minus).

I love the phone, but I will say this... The UI for Android is not nearly as intuitive as WebOS is/was. There are a lot of things I'm not sure how to do yet (delete text conversations for one) that were easy to do in WebOS.

I'm sure it's just a matter of spending some more time with the phone or maybe doing some customizing (there is a wave launcher available that looks just like the WebOS wave launcher - something I rarely used though). But, out of the box WebOS was/is a "better" OS.

However, the upside is that there are a TON of apps for this phone. I too am digging the 3D. As "gimicky" as it might be, it's a nice bonus feature.

Palm/HP really dropped the ball for the developer's on WebOS... I think that's the one thing that will be the death of WebOS. I see their only saving grace to be licensing the phone so that it can find more homes than just a couple of (poorly executed) devices.

To delete a text just tap the message and you get a list of options, delete being one of them. To delete the whole text thread tap menu>more.

If your using stock keyboard and haven't calibrated it yet, it makes a major improvement in usability

Settings>Lang&Keyboard>Touch Input>Text Input> Cal Tool.

I just spent 2 years with a POS Pre and I really like this E3D. Not one regret in 19 days. :D The 3D doesn't impress me, but the ladies sure get a kick out of it! :cool:

P.S. Welcome to Loyd The Droids House!!!

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Palm- since August '09. I've had to replace it once because of a broken ear piece. My family knows me as the Palm guy since I've been a Palm OS fan since the Handspring Visor. Have had Palms, Sony Clies and Treos, always advocating for Palm.

Been on Sprint (no annual contract) since 2000 and have a 25% service discount on a family plan, so I really don't want to leave Sprint. I've been looking at the new EVO 3D and doing a lot of research on the phone, as well as the Samsung SII. I like the 3D and can really see myself taking short video clips or pics of my family. I can also finally get slingplayer back on my phone as I was constantly waiting for them to make a player for webos. The only thing that's stopping me is that it seems such a big change to me since I've only used palmos/webos (at least on my phones) all these years and really like the UI of webos.

The news of Sprint getting rid of their instant rebates is pushing me even further to get the EVO 3D soon. Decisions, decisions!

BTW, has anyone bought there's through Amazon wireless? I tried to simulate buying it there and it asks me to choose a plan. I have 5 phones on my family plan and don't want to mess anything up.

Sling looks awesome on Evo 3D and if you have an older Slingbox, you don't have to upgrade to a newer model. My 4-year-old AV works fine with my Evo 3D.
If Sling had put out a Web OS player, I may have stayed.
But I love my Evo 3D, that big screen is amazing and all the apps you can't get on Web OS.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...The UI for Android is not nearly as intuitive as WebOS is/was. There are a lot of things I'm not sure how to do yet (delete text conversations for one) that were easy to do in WebOS...
The opening post for this thread has help for this and other transition needs:
EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

In particular, the link for the Getting Started has a section on Messaging that tells how to delete a single message (Long-press > Delete), how to delete several messages at once, and how to set it to only keep a certain number.

Also, the webOS Users Guide to Android is a great place to start. It will walk you through where everything is.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The UI on Android is way more intuitive than webOS, want to know why? When I touch the screen it actually responds to my touch immediately and when i launch an application it opens immediately. In fact I had 15 apps open all day today and the phone didn't lag or stutter. In fact, I didn't know I had 15 apps open until i checked the task manager. I'm over cards, they need to make that OS work at the very basics first, and that's feel and touch sensitivity.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's a simple, "I'll get razzed for not knowing, or finding it" kind of thing.

How can I delete home pages if I don't want all 5 or 6 or whatever it is?

For piece of mind, I'd still like to have "cards" to move, swipe to and from and send away if I wanted. I wonder how long before someone comes up with a WebOS simulated interface for Android? Hint, hint. :D

From the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android:

If you miss cards, try Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb.

As to the 6 homescreens...If you only have a few thousands apps,you will only have a few dozen you will ever use. If you have 225,000 apps, you may very well have 200 favorite Applications. Meaning that 6 screens x 16 apps each = 96 is not nearly enough so you will want to use Folders. Also, you may use screens for large or full-screen widgets.

Think of homescreens like closet space. If you move into a bigger house, you may wonder how you will ever fill all the closets. A month later, you are thinking you might need more shelves because you have run out of room.

jeffbengr

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so about 3 weeks post-Pre. I'm pretty much 98% in love with the 3D. Here's the 2% that bug me:

1. I want to hit the search button, type in first initial / first few letters of last name and get a list of contacts. Instead I get a page full of google search hits, followed by a seemingly random ONE contact that matches the entered pattern, when in reality there are several (e.g. entering "jsmi" i would want to see john smith, jeff smith, jim smith, etc). I'd rather see all my contact matches first followed by some google hits.
2. I'd love to be able to long hold search, then say "Text John Smith stuck in traffic, be there in 20" as advised earlier in this thread. However, when I do this I get a text to nobody with the body of the text as "John Smith stuck in traffic, be there in 20". I've found out this is because voice commands only work with gmail contacts. All of my business contacts are on my company's Exchange server. Voice search needs to search your phone, not your gmail account!
3. I miss the swipe to delete....long hold then tap delete just isn't quite the same...

A couple of my favorite things about the Evo 3D:
1. Speed, speed, responsiveness, and oh did I mention speed!
2. My Exchange email is finally in HTML!
3. My "app available for iPhone and Android" jealously is no more.
4. Battery life has been much better for me with the Evo 3D than the Pre...I come home from work in the low 20%'s instead of dead by lunchtime if I don't charge (and this with full bars of Sprint service at work and 4G active all day).

Oh, and DanPLC, great to see you here! I'm joining many others in keeping my Pre around as an MP3 player using, of course, Music Player (Remix).
That and something my boys can play Angry Birds on without using up all the juice on my active phone...

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
had a palm pre, and then i got an epic, both on the first day they cam out. now im on the evo 3d.and out of all the phones its the best yet.

Brayniak

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even know i was looking for this group.................. Bought the original Pre on launch day and had HIGH hopes for WebOS, i still feel it is by far the best OS. WebOS on an HTC device? i can't even imagine. With that being said Evo 3D has to be hands down the best phone released to date overall. I am figuring out something new everyday. I test drove the Thunderbolt for a couple of weeks and got used to the kickstand and i can't begin to fathom why the didn't put one on the Evo, as petty as that sounds the kick stand was awesome!! it was one of those things you didn't realize you wanted your phone to do until you had it, kinda like when the Evo rings and you pick it up to see who it is and when you go to put it back down it realized you don't want to talk to that person and automatically goes silent, or how the speaker phone comes on automatically if you just flip the phone over......

Reactions: milominderbinde

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
1. I want to hit the search button, type in first initial / first few letters of last name and get a list of contacts. Instead I get a page full of google search hits, followed by a seemingly random ONE contact that matches the entered pattern, when in reality there are several (e.g. entering "jsmi" i would want to see john smith, jeff smith, jim smith, etc). I'd rather see all my contact matches first followed by some google hits.

Yeah I used to use Just Type heavily to find contacts. But now instead I just set up a home page with direct links to my most-used contact's home & mobile numbers. It works fine.

2. I'd love to be able to long hold search, then say "Text John Smith stuck in traffic, be there in 20" as advised earlier in this thread. However, when I do this I get a text to nobody with the body of the text as "John Smith stuck in traffic, be there in 20". I've found out this is because voice commands only work with gmail contacts. All of my business contacts are on my company's Exchange server. Voice search needs to search your phone, not your gmail account!

All of my contacts are in gmail, so it works for me. But for some reason I haven't used voice search that much. I'll have to start using it because it does work very well.

3. I miss the swipe to delete....long hold then tap delete just isn't quite the same...

Yeah swipe to delete is more intuitive. But I'm used to long-holding now. In my Quick Post app, I added a "X" at the end of every row on the Accounts screen. I thought that would be a bit easier than long-holding.

A couple of my favorite things about the Evo 3D:
1. Speed, speed, responsiveness, and oh did I mention speed!
2. My Exchange email is finally in HTML!
3. My "app available for iPhone and Android" jealously is no more.
4. Battery life has been much better for me with the Evo 3D than the Pre...I come home from work in the low 20%'s instead of dead by lunchtime if I don't charge (and this with full bars of Sprint service at work and 4G active all day).

Yeah the positives far out-weigh the negatives. I hate to say this, but I'm enjoying the Evo 3D a lot more than I did the Pre.

Oh, and DanPLC, great to see you here! I'm joining many others in keeping my Pre around as an MP3 player using, of course, Music Player (Remix).
That and something my boys can play Angry Birds on without using up all the juice on my active phone...

Yeah my biggest issue with the Evo was not having Music Player (Remix) since I'm so used to it. So I was carrying around my Pre 2 for awhile, but now I've given it up. I bought a 32GB micro sd card which has all my music on it and I'm using PowerAMP. I tried all the players and none of them suited me. They all missed certain features that I've become accustomed to (autolists, faves, queuing songs to play next, sharing on Twitter, etc.). PowerAMP still has a lot of faults/shortcomings, but it does a decent job.

Hopefully one day I'll get Music Player (Remix) on Android so I can have those features again.

Reactions: milominderbinde

Pre-Occupied

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So I couldn't take it anymore. Waiting for another webOS phone on Sprint was too much to take and I decided it was time to move on. So Evo 3D...

I have spent 3 days setting up the phone but cannot find one thing that my Pre- could do: let me dial a 7 digit phone # and plug in the local area code automatically. I have searched the forums and can't find an answer. Please HELP...

Pre-Occupied

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So I couldn't take it anymore. Waiting for another webOS phone on Sprint was too much to take and I decided it was time to move on. So Evo 3D...

I have spent 3 days setting up the phone but cannot find one thing that my Pre- could do: let me dial a 7 digit phone # and plug in the local area code automatically. I have searched the forums and can't find an answer. Please HELP...

Pre-Occupied

I dial 7-digit local numbers all the time and they go through just fine. Why do you need the area code to be filled in if the call goes through without it?

Pre-Occupied

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The local phone company requires the use of 10 digit phone numbers. So I need the phone to automatically add a preset area code anytime I dial only 7 digits. I know it seems silly, but I really miss this feature.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The local phone company requires the use of 10 digit phone numbers. So I need the phone to automatically add a preset area code anytime I dial only 7 digits. I know it seems silly, but I really miss this feature.
Yes, there are several places around the US with overlapping Area Codes on top of the same geography where you have to always dial 10 digits.

Earlier in this thread we gave some options from the Phone section of the Getting Started.

• Just Type a name to call: Tap Search and start typing the first or last name.

• Dial a number by Voice Action: Long-press Search and say, "Dial Pre Occupied"

• Use Speed Dial for your top 9 names: Tap Home > Phone > Menu . Speed dial > Add new. Choose a contact phone and assign a Speed dial number.
- - • To call using Speed dial: Tap Home > Phone and long press their assigned number.

• Set up a Picture Speed Dial Widgets show several contact photos on-screen and you can define each to call, text, or email the person.

• Create shortcuts on a homescreen or in a folder to your 16 most common contacts.

• Great third-party Speed Dial options: Folder Organizer (free), GO Contacts (iPhone theme), MeContacts, or QDial.

It is like going from one plane to another. The cockpit is laid out differently but you can still do everything.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ron1morgan