Evo vs Epic

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
well you do have a point but 2.2 is coming for it by end of september supposedly so more than likely it will look like the evo for now if i wanted to rom it i can im just messing with it for now. There was a lot of differences for me between both phones.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I still don't see what's the hoopla about the Epic. It's a Vibrant/Captivate with a keyboard....
I don't get it either. It also has all of the same problems the other phones have. For some reason, those same problems are dealbreakers on the Vibrant but no big deal on the Epic.

There's some Kool Aid going around.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it either. It also has all of the same problems the other phones have. For some reason, those same problems are dealbreakers on the Vibrant but no big deal on the Epic.

There's some Kool Aid going around.

I don't see what the big deal is about this phone either. Compared to my Evo:

1. the screen is smaller but nicer
2. the Samsung UI is lacking in robustness compared to HTC Sense
3. the bottom buttons not working properly? I would have not bought the phone just for that problem alone.
4. The keyboard is nice if you like actual keyboard. (Coming from 2 generations of iPhones and now an Evo I'm really used to typing on the screen.)

fyi- I ran that lagtest app that was posted and I was averaging 54FPS (peak at 60).

OMJ 3.1 Rom 2.2 Froyo.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: woah i did it traded in evo for epic

I think i'll wait until the Epic gets 2.2 before I even start to consider swapping.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what the big deal is about this phone either. Compared to my Evo:

1. the screen is smaller but nicer
2. the Samsung UI is lacking in robustness compared to HTC Sense
3. the bottom buttons not working properly? I would have not bought the phone just for that problem alone.
4. The keyboard is nice if you like actual keyboard. (Coming from 2 generations of iPhones and now an Evo I'm really used to typing on the screen.)

fyi- I ran that lagtest app that was posted and I was averaging 54FPS (peak at 60).

OMJ 3.1 Rom 2.2 Froyo.

Screen difference is a wash.. Your only talking .3 inch difference in size and holding the Epic side by side you can barely tell a difference between the two screens.. Again at .3 your not loosing much real estate... Kind of like a 40" TV with full 1080p vs a 42" TV with only 720p HD.... The difference in both size and quality are not that big a deal.

Sense UI (IMO) is hands down the best third party UI on the market.. Playing around with the Epic I really don't like the UI... and my first Android phone was the Nexus One... I loved Vanilla Android but HTC sense wasn't bad at all... Plus your at least on 2.2 with the EVO.. Not like the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 are deal breakers.

The Demo I played with at Best Buy the buttons all seemed to work just fine.

The only way I can see some one going with the Epic over the EVO is the physical keyboard.. Some people (Like my wife) want a physical keyboard and stayed away from the EVO because of the virtual touch screen keyboard. But I found the Epic to feel cheap and way to plastic... My kids have toy phones that feel more solid than the Epic.... Plus I can see (like with the Pre) that slide Keyboard wearing out... My wife went with a Blackberry because she wanted a physical keyboard and every phone with a slide out keyboard she tried or used eventually the slide function breaks in one way or another...

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Screen difference is a wash.. Your only talking .3 inch difference in size and holding the Epic side by side you can barely tell a difference between the two screens.. Again at .3 your not loosing much real estate... Kind of like a 40" TV with full 1080p vs a 42" TV with only 720p HD.... The difference in both size and quality are not that big a deal.

Sense UI (IMO) is hands down the best third party UI on the market.. Playing around with the Epic I really don't like the UI... and my first Android phone was the Nexus One... I loved Vanilla Android but HTC sense wasn't bad at all... Plus your at least on 2.2 with the EVO.. Not like the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 are deal breakers.

The Demo I played with at Best Buy the buttons all seemed to work just fine.

The only way I can see some one going with the Epic over the EVO is the physical keyboard.. Some people (Like my wife) want a physical keyboard and stayed away from the EVO because of the virtual touch screen keyboard. But I found the Epic to feel cheap and way to plastic... My kids have toy phones that feel more solid than the Epic.... Plus I can see (like with the Pre) that slide Keyboard wearing out... My wife went with a Blackberry because she wanted a physical keyboard and every phone with a slide out keyboard she tried or used eventually the slide function breaks in one way or another...

I do not like that the 4 buttons on the bottom are illuminated. When the phone goes idle the back light turns off and the buttons vanish (which is nice touch I guess) but you have to touch the screen to light up the buttons again. I'm not sure what Samsung was going for with that feature.

The hard keyboard is definately going to attract people who like keyboards.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me? I don't want to turn my phone sideways to type. Give me a portrait slider, and I'll consider it.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Agreed it is a very nice phone. However, I compared my Evo to my friend's Epic and I just couldn't find anything significant to make me want to change phones. They are both great phones and you won't go wrong either way.

I have the Evo and my husband has the Epic. I am the techno-nut in our house so naturally I get to play with the phones anytime I want.

I will tell anyone who is interested that the colors on the screen for the Epic BLOW AWAY the Evos... But when I am not holding them side by side the Evo is pretty enough for me and I forget about the Epics colorful screen. The Epic camera has some neat filters on it. The Evos screen is more responsive. Honestly, either phone is awesome... Not sure that I am willing to pay the money to get me an Epic though. I love my Evo and there is just not enough to make me want to switch.

I know my 11yr old hates hearing that though because she gets all of Mom's old phones.... which usually means a phone that is less than a year old. LOL She wants my Evo so bad she can taste it. LOL

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Screen difference is a wash.. Your only talking .3 inch difference in size and holding the Epic side by side you can barely tell a difference between the two screens.. Again at .3 your not loosing much real estate... Kind of like a 40" TV with full 1080p vs a 42" TV with only 720p HD....
That's incorrect. The Evo looks bigger -- not a little bigger or slightly bigger, but significantly bigger. Your TV analogy is wrong -- it's. The difference between a 40" HDTV and a 36" HDTV. Is anyone going seriously claim that those sizes are a wash?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That's incorrect. The Evo looks bigger -- not a little bigger or slightly bigger, but significantly bigger. Your TV analogy is wrong -- it's. The difference between a 40" HDTV and a 36" HDTV. Is anyone going seriously claim that those sizes are a wash?

I'd have to agree with you...
I put a whit line going across to the Epic where the top and bottom of the Evo's screen is
epic-4g-vs-evo-4g-sprint2.jpg

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

lol.... I held both phones side by side and you can physically tell the difference when they are side by side.... But in the long term your not going to notice the difference if you have the Epic vs the EVO (and I have an EVO and I love it)

The EVO is slightly bigger and the Epic has slightly better resolution.... and even the resolution thing is all in the eye of the beholder.

If you have a 40" TV right next to a 42" TV you can tell the difference... But if you buy the 40" TV your not going to miss those 2 inches.... It's NOT going to make that much of a difference...

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
WE have both in our house. The Epic is nice, but I LOVE my Evo.... It really boils down to if you want or need a physical keyboard.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not like that the 4 buttons on the bottom are illuminated. When the phone goes idle the back light turns off and the buttons vanish (which is nice touch I guess) but you have to touch the screen to light up the buttons again. I'm not sure what Samsung was going for with that feature.

The hard keyboard is definately going to attract people who like keyboards.

Got you... I honestly didn't notice much with the buttons and I was just testing it with no desire to make a switch.... I was just mildly curious to see what Samsung put out.... I have all Samsung TV's in my house (They make a hell of a TV these days) so I wanted to see what the phone was like.....

It's a neat phone.. The only thing that really made me test it out was the DNLA feature... I was curious since it would work with my Samsung LED TV but in all honesty I couldn't see myself using that feature THAT much....

My honest opinion of the Epic is that it is a great complimentary phone to the EVO. It gives people who want a large vibrant screen mixed with a physical keyboard a reason to try Android (Probably Blackberry users) but was never meant to replace the EVO as the "Flagship" device at Sprint....

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Boy are there alot of these Epic vs Evo threads lately.

Go Epic if you like a nicer screen and a physical keyboard. That's all.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
yeah I stopped also and got to play with the epic, it felt like my wife's rumor 2 but a little bigger. I made a promise to myself after my palm pre; no more sliders. But its your decision, I did also stop and play with the new droid 2, droid x and droid incredible and like the incredible the best. But that's just my tastes.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Both phones have the same resolution.

Resolution was the wrong term..... Some people think the Epic looks brighter and has better color saturation.... I have read reviews that just give the Epic a good edge in Screen based on color and brightness and crisp picture... I guess more HD like...

My mistake in using the term resolution...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treoluv